RL’s worst kept secret confirmed

I don't think he's actually confirmed which position he's taking up in the NRL ?

Good luck to him wherever he ends up, been a great coach for Saints and could sign off as the most successful coach ever at the club (in terms of trophies per years as head coach)

• Like 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Much like Justin Holbrook before him, he goes with the best wishes of everyone at and involved with the club. Taking over from Holbrook was seen to be quite the task at the time but to go on and win a Challenge Cup and two Grand Finals has seen it be an easy transition but also the team and the way they play has improved from under Holbrook.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Much like Justin Holbrook before him, he goes with the best wishes of everyone at and involved with the club. Taking over from Holbrook was seen to be quite the task at the time but to go on and win a Challenge Cup and two Grand Finals has seen it be an easy transition but also the team and the way they play has improved from under Holbrook.

It's a shame the way the season has played out for him in a way - we looked brillliant until Dodd got injured and it's been chopping and changing week to week ever since, but the toughness he has instilled was enough to keep us at the top of the table.

Here's hoping Hopoate returns for the play-offs because if he does, we have a real chance to make it 4.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I know Salford fans won't want to hear this, but if i was Saints i'd be looking at Paul Rowley as a potential candidate to replace him.

It’s very likely to be Paul Wellens. He’s served his apprenticeship under Holbrook and now Woolf and is seen to be the next in line. There’s understandable apprehension around giving him the role because of how it transpired with Keiron Cunningham, though. 

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It’s very likely to be Paul Wellens. He’s served his apprenticeship under Holbrook and now Woolf and is seen to be the next in line. There’s understandable apprehension around giving him the role because of how it transpired with Keiron Cunningham, though. 

You just can't compare the two in terms of experience or indeed temperament.

I am very confident that Wellens will be a good head coach for Saints - he has some transition to deal with across playing staff in the near future though.  Good news for him that Roby will go again as a senior bridge between regimes.

Edited by FearTheVee

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I don't think he's actually confirmed which position he's taking up in the NRL ?

Good luck to him wherever he ends up, been a great coach for Saints and could sign off as the most successful coach ever at the club (in terms of trophies per years as head coach)

Aaron Bower reckons he knows.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's been rumoured for some time that he was going to be Wayne Bennet's assistant at the Dolphins in 2023 and be head coach from 2024 onwards. I can't see him going there without the promise of being the boss in the next couple of years.

• Like 2

Not surprised to have this news confirmed, yet still disappointing. Like many, I saw the job of taking over from Holbrook as an impossible one. Not just in terms of success on field, but Holbrook's ability to bring  fans and club closer.

Woolf strikes me as very different personality wise. Very much a gey on with the job at hand man. It's clear from our performances and success that the players have a great deal of respect for him and trust in him.

I don't envy Wellens taking over as it's hard to improve on what we've done of late. Hope Woolf goes well in the NRL.

16 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

I know Salford fans won't want to hear this, but if i was Saints i'd be looking at Paul Rowley as a potential candidate to replace him.

No no and thrice no, Daryl Powell to move to the Wicked.

But why should Paul move, he lives virtually round the corner from the AJ Bell and the expectation on him is nothing like he would recieve at Saints, he went through that with Toronto I should imagine he has a very happy and contented life at Salford, and he in no way needs a pay rise.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

No no and thrice no, Daryl Powell to move to the Wicked.

But why should Paul move, he lives virtually round the corner from the AJ Bell and the expectation on him is nothing like he would recieve at Saints, he went through that with Toronto I should imagine he has a very happy and contented life at Salford, and he in no way needs a pay rise.

What do you think he’s on now, compared to what Saints would pay him? I really have no idea. Also he’d get to work with better players, have a bigger chance of winning trophies and play in front of bigger crowds at Saints, which must be tempting (if they wanted him). 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2022 at 13:56, Saint Toppy said:

He won't surpass Daniel Anderson 9 trophys in 3.5 years and bbc team of the year

Edited by yipyee
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, M j M said:

Will be interesting to see how Woolf goes when he has more of a challenge.

As far as I can see at St Helens he's been lucky to live off the hard work Holbrook did so far.

Strange take on it when he's brought through Welsby and Dodd into key pivot positions, lost Ben Barba and Luke Thompson and finished top despite a fair chunk of disruption (including taking the team through Covid).

Holbrook was great and we played some brilliant rugby but people forget that he will thank his lucky stars he drew Salford in that GF, becuase prior to that it had mainly been about choking at big moments - something you'd struggle to aim at this Saints team.

I don't think it's possible to look at the two sides and say Woold has lived off Holbrook's hard work - they are completely different sides in terms of approach and this side is several levels above Holbrook's in terms of defensive intensity.

Imagine if Woolf had a Ben Barba!