Bradford Bulls to get lower share of 2023 central funding

9 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Typical Matt Shaw journalism (and i use that term loosely) im afraid.  Clickbait sensationalist headlines where the article its self provides very little detail.  Article reposted half a dozen time over the next couple.of days to get as many clicks as possible. 

So for context, how much is the loan? what is it for? how much are we paying back this year? do other clubs also have rfl loans? How much are they paying back? 

He never misses a chance to stick the knife in to Bradford where he can. 

Cool cool all that, except if you actually bothered to check you would know it was Aaron Bower that wrote it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Whenever a club borrows money from the RFL, its repayments are deducted from its annual distribution.

It's been that way since the year dot and I would guess that every club in the game has borrowed money from the governing body at some stage.

So one relevant question is - how many clubs currently are also in this situation?

I've asked the RFL for the information.

I have asked but the RFL hasn't revealed how many clubs owe it money at the moment.

"Confidential commercial arrangements" is the reason quoted.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Presumably, given that the RFL distributed the government covid loans … they all owe something?

I know some clubs have been allowed to take an advance from the following seasons central funds, is the same thing or an actual loan? If so does it set a precedent for other clubs to get these loans.

I don't think this article is designed to stick the knife in. I think it's designed to say, look the Chairman said there would be broadly the same budget for next year as this, this is now understood to not be the case according to this article and Matthew Shaw confirmed to day that he expected the club's budget for next year to be "reduced significantly".

My question would then be, did the chairman know this and choose to not say this at the fans forum, or has it caught the club unawares, which begs the question how much due diligence is being done on the financials at the club.

Neither of those sit comfortably to me, in the first instance it would be more lies being peddled to the fans under the banner of being supposedly open and honest. The second scinario speaks for itself.

The warning signs aren't good, and whilst I don't think we are headed for oblivion just yet, I think we are in a state of irreversible decline as things stand. 

I think there is more to come on this, obviously there will be some stuff that cannot be published that is rumour etc, but given the history of the club and some of the people behind the scenes, I welcome more of this type of reporting on the club, even if we do end up with more questions. 

Another question for me is why did Chalmers need a loan for a brand new club when he was the only bid who had - according to the RFL - any money to begin with hence him being the preferred choice. That's probably another thread and not entirely related to next year, but it stinks. 

Edited by Amber Avenger
  • Like 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

2 minutes ago, The storm said:

Ive just had a look at the bradford squad

On paper it should be doing far far better than they are

If you take a look at any pictures of the current Bradford squad, you'll probably see the answer (a lot of the squad are incredibly unfit)

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

6 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Whenever a club borrows money from the RFL, its repayments are deducted from its annual distribution.

It's been that way since the year dot and I would guess that every club in the game has borrowed money from the governing body at some stage.

So one relevant question is - how many clubs currently are also in this situation?

I've asked the RFL for the information.

Good luck with that❗

I've got to laugh when I hear the Bulls and RFL in the same sentence  there's been plenty of toing and froing between the Bulls and the RFL

January 24, 2012: The Rugby Football League (RFL) announces it has bought Odsal from Bradford for an undisclosed sum, later revealed to be £1.25 million, and will lease the ground back to the club for a monthly rent. The governing body also claw £750,000 back in loans advanced to the Super League club.🤣