Long term injuries

Fenton Knight

As we approach the end of the regular season we can reflect on a much improved league position (likely to be 6th) compared to 9th last season. As we all know 2021 was infamous for its number of injuries, several in key positions (the half’s), but this season has not been without it’s fair share of injuries, several long-term. Promising young winger Olly Butterworth was ruled out for the year back in March with a shoulder injury. Will Oakes made just 9 appearances before being ruled out for the season at the beginning of last month with a groin injury. Powerhouse prop Masi Motongo was also ruled out for the season last month after dislocating his shoulder earlier in the season. This week Pauli’s name was added to the name of long terms absentees after being ruled out with a long term ACL injury. Unlike last season we have been better prepared with greater strength in depth meaning we had adequate cover in most places. Joe Brown had been an ever present and the emergence of AJ Towse has been one of the highlights of the season. I know that injuries are part of the game but I can’t help but feel that  with Matongo and Pauli on the sidelines we look light in the pack with the play offs looming. Thoughts?

• Like 2

I don’t think it’s so much size with our pack as much as pace and off-loads. I don’t want to sound like I’m always having a go because I appreciate they are not NRL or top Super League players, but we haven’t had much speed in the forwards since Bachelor left (whatever happened to him….) and no off loads since Horne. Great player though Thompson is, he’s not an off-loader. PP is good, but teams know this and wrap him up. Stock occasionally, but he seems to have fallen out of favour. As for the rest, not much. Has Masi ever off-loaded?  Maybe they are told not to? Hence the “5 drives and a kick” we all love watching so much.

29 minutes ago, Fax Knight said:

Forgot to say Bailey has pace, but rarely finds space (due to the one-out play) so ends up being a battering ram like everyone else. Wonder if we’ll offer him a contact. I like him- not many can play in the forwards or backs. 

Yes, I'd be keen to retain him if we can. Potentially the closest in the Bachelor mould we have IMO.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Press today, Ata out for rest of the season, two games hope he comes back fit and ready.

Shame , he was not getting much game time at Leigh and came to us hoping to get plenty of minutes in to put himself in the shop window for the World Cup.

1 hour ago, spanishknight said:

Press today, Ata out for rest of the season, two games hope he comes back fit and ready.

Any slight chance of an upset at either fax or Batley has surely gone now , hingano and Pauli were probably our 2 biggest game changers and now with Dixon alongside matongo gone there's no umph left in the pack .

• Like 1

On 02/09/2022 at 07:49, Fenton Knight said:

As we approach the end of the regular season we can reflect on a much improved league position (likely to be 6th) compared to 9th last season. As we all know 2021 was infamous for its number of injuries, several in key positions (the half’s), but this season has not been without it’s fair share of injuries, several long-term. Promising young winger Olly Butterworth was ruled out for the year back in March with a shoulder injury. Will Oakes made just 9 appearances before being ruled out for the season at the beginning of last month with a groin injury. Powerhouse prop Masi Motongo was also ruled out for the season last month after dislocating his shoulder earlier in the season. This week Pauli’s name was added to the name of long terms absentees after being ruled out with a long term ACL injury. Unlike last season we have been better prepared with greater strength in depth meaning we had adequate cover in most places. Joe Brown had been an ever present and the emergence of AJ Towse has been one of the highlights of the season. I know that injuries are part of the game but I can’t help but feel that  with Matongo and Pauli on the sidelines we look light in the pack with the play offs looming. Thoughts?

Powerhouse prop 😂 you are funny

• Haha 1

On 02/09/2022 at 07:49, Fenton Knight said:

Masi must have been near the top of the tackle count every game we've missed him loads.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nige Arro said:

Powerhouse prop 😂 you are funny

There's no one better in the squad at getting us away from our own line. Might not be flash but makes hard yards every time he takes the ball up. We've looked a poorer team without him than with him IMO. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JonT said:

There's no one better in the squad at getting us away from our own line. Might not be flash but makes hard yards every time he takes the ball up. We've looked a poorer team without him than with him IMO. 

Plus his tackling has been missed , good solid prop , hope he's with us next season .😀😀😀

• Like 3