2023 SL Dream Team

Hvy wg

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’ve been impressed with Brodie Croft most times I’ve seen him . I’m pleased he’s doing so well after the way his career has gone 

He has always had the talent to be a top class player. 

He just had to shed this stupid 'next Cooper Cronk' tag as both the Storm and then Brisbane wanted him to be an organising half. 

Given the chance to play his own game which is based on being a running threat first and foremost he has proven to be very good (with Sneyd shouldering most of the tactical kicking).

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Instead of who? Field has been far better than Tomkins and Farrell has been far better than Bateman at Wigan. Other second rows like McQueen and Batchelor would certainly be in there before Bateman for me.

I know that to well Damien it was a tounge in cheek statement, it's just that (and I know it is a different team selection) that Tomkins and Bateman have virtually been in every selection of the scribes, commentators and even this site when the England team is mentioned, Tomkins would not be my first choice and Bateman would not get near the squad for mine, he has been poor ever since returning from Aus.

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

And Walmsley - been poor for a while IMO. 

Batchelor very unlucky not to be in it from Saints. 

He’s not been his usual best over the last couple of months but has he been carrying knocks ?. Even when he’s not at his best he is the one who usually makes the most yards. We will struggle if he doesn’t play in the SF. Walmsley starting and Paasi coming off the bench is our best choice. I just wish somebody would back Paasi up as he’s always ready to offload. 

Surprised no one has mentioned Luke Yates.  Love watching him play, the bloke is an absolute machine. 

Going back  a bit but he reminds me a lot of when we had Bernard Dwyer at odsal.  Would tackle anything that moves and run through a brick wall for you if you asked him to. 

These type of players do a lot of the tough stuff that goes under the radar. Definitely deserves to  be in the conversation. Not that i have any major issue with Knowls being selected to be fair. 

• Like 1

The selection of James Robey in the 'Dream Team' seems a selection based upon nostalgia for a player coming to the end of a fine career, rather than on form and merit.  

Can you persuade me otherwise?

•  

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

6 hours ago, Josef K said:

He’s not been his usual best over the last couple of months but has he been carrying knocks ?. Even when he’s not at his best he is the one who usually makes the most yards. We will struggle if he doesn’t play in the SF. Walmsley starting and Paasi coming off the bench is our best choice. I just wish somebody would back Paasi up as he’s always ready to offload. 

Think there’s a good chance he’s out. 

Pretty fair selections.

I might have gone with Makinson over Sio and Yates over Knowles, but the two players picked have been good all year.

Mitch Pearce deserves a mention. He's been pretty good for Catalans, although Welsby deserves to be in the team.

• Like 1