London Broncos - Looking more positive now

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Hughes get a mention quite a bit but why does the CEO not cop any blame, his been at club near the same as Hughes and is actually in charge of running the joint.

The club is just a side hobby for Hughes but there's a CEO who couldn't organise a shag in a brass house.Stealing a living he is.

Jason Loubser runs a Hockey Supply Company as well as a Sports Consultancy (both from his home), not to mention coaching 3 different local hockey club sides near where he lives.
Maybe he's just been so busy with these labours of love to actually do his day-job?

8 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

Jason Loubser runs a Hockey Supply Company as well as a Sports Consultancy (both from his home), not to mention coaching 3 different local hockey club sides near where he lives.
Maybe he's just been so busy with these labours of love to actually do his day-job?

Needs to get himself over to Canada by sounds of it 

18 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Wrong hockey, his is the St Trinians version!

Still, it wouldn't be a bad thing if he ****ed off to Canada anyway.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Hughes get a mention quite a bit but why does the CEO not cop any blame, his been at club near the same as Hughes and is actually in charge of running the joint.

The club is just a side hobby for Hughes but there's a CEO who couldn't organise a shag in a brass house.Stealing a living he is.

The CEO is clearly useless but Hughes is the one who appoints them.

On 05/09/2022 at 00:22, The Daddy said:

At some point during the season we were faced with the threat of relegation and I really thought the club was dying a slow death, the fans we're losing hope. 

Since Mike Eccles has taken over the performances have improved considerably. They've not been perfect but standards have improved and the fans are now awaiting announcements of the club's plans for next season. That includes the decision as to whether Mike Eccles will become the permanent head coach and the backroom staff structure for 2023. What's of major importance now is that the club makes some good, ambitious signings, beefs up the pack and shows the fans that they mean business. 

The club has also recently appointed a new head of commercial Mark Kemp which is a good sign, the appointment shows ambition and adds expertise  into the back office. I hope we see the benefits of it next season coz there is some indication already of improvement in the way that the club is being run. 

Altogether the move to Wimbledon has worked out well but clearly the team, results and performances need to match the quality of the stadium, but generally speaking Plough Lane is a step up from what we've had in recent years it's been a much needed move. 

The great thing to hear as a fan is that the club has stated it's aim is to return to SL a huge relief when you consider how poorly the season started 

Told if they get their act together they will have a license?!

No smoke without fire

On 06/09/2022 at 11:15, 40yearsatlondon said:

if you want to bring 3,000/5,000 to games ..its leeds,wigan saints etc ..not batley whitehaven

Broncos were in Super League relatively recently. How many fans came to watch home games in London when they played Leeds, Wigan, Saints.... ?

It's been in Broncos interests to stop being a shambles off the pitch for a decade or so now. They have yet to succeed.

Crucially the last spell in Superleague came after they had started to decimate their own support base.

At their hight point at Quin's average gates were approaching 5k. Another poster has an armoury of data and will probably provide the exact number. Then the club started making strange decisions such as appointing an idiot CEO who viewed fans as a nuisance, wrecking the match day experience and moving fans to a lesser stand. People started to drift away.

Then came the disastrous - there is no other word - move to Barnet and the wheels really came off. Fans voted with their feet in large numbers, due to a rubbish experience and awful team thrown together seemingly at the last minute. The result in the previous seasons Challenge Cup semi had massive consequences for the club.

On field the time at Ealing saw the club stabilise. Off field the club was desperately weak. Then came a move to part time status whilst paying lots to hire a stadium far bigger than required and making no real effort to take advantage of the opportunities the stadium brought, leaving the club weak both on and off the field. Strangely enough fans didn't come flooding back.

We shall see what next season brings 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

Because I think that a projection of 5K gates is a fantasy to be honest at the moment - especially as Wimbledon is such an obscure hidden corner of Greater London. 

Obscure and hidden? I mean, how many more transport options do you want other than train, tube, tram and bus?

As an aside, I heard last night that AFCW is happy with the money Broncos has brought in this season so there’s no dissatisfaction from that side of the groundshare. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

On field the time at Ealing saw the club stabilise. Off field the club was desperately weak. Then came a move to part time status whilst paying lots to hire a stadium far bigger than required and making no real effort to take advantage of the opportunities the stadium brought, leaving the club weak both on and off the field. Strangely enough fans didn't come flooding back.

We shall see what next season brings 

If you still have the current CEO then repeat of this year without the boost of the first 2 match attendances, which would mean <1K gates.  No match day experience, so not using any of the "facilities" on offer.  I'm sure the experience at a Wimbledon game is fantastic, but for London, the two times I've been its been a souless hulk with a worse experience than Ealing (no food for veggiess ffs).   Yes if you play at a football ground they need a few weeks in June to relay the pitch, but London was kicked out for over 2 months, and had to play 2 games in Kent, complete nonsense.

I suspect that on the field next season will be marginally better that this season, with London being in the same bucket of clubs as Sheffield, Bradford, Widnes,  too good to go down, but not good enough to challenge for the playoffs.  On the plus side they might get more shirt sales if they bin the wannabee wire kit and go back to black.

I do fear for newcastle however, I could see them filling one of the relegation slots next year, alongside who comes up with Keithley ( I expect Keithley to be a possible dark horse for the playoffs next year).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Because I think that a projection of 5K gates is a fantasy to be honest at the moment - especially as Wimbledon is such an obscure hidden corner of Greater London. 

5k is a reasonable target to have. What makes it a fantasy is the way the management have gone about it.

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Obscure and hidden? I mean, how many more transport options do you want other than train, tube, tram and bus?

As an aside, I heard last night that AFCW is happy with the money Broncos has brought in this season so there’s no dissatisfaction from that side of the groundshare. 

You've got some nerve coming back onto a Broncos thread. Chief.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959