London Broncos - Looking more positive now

17 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Because I think that a projection of 5K gates is a fantasy to be honest at the moment - especially as Wimbledon is such an obscure hidden corner of Greater London. 

5K is a figure first uttered by Nick Cartwright back in 2006. Weirdly, they fell just short that season, in a stadium that was a 15 minute walk to an overland station and miles away from a tube line. Wimbledon is 30 minutes by tube from Euston or Kings Cross and a 5 minute walk and in terms of fans, neither the 10k average at AFC nor the 14k average at Harlequins seem to have a problem finding either stadium!
London Broncos target of 5k was just another target that when missed, will give Hughes another excuse to fall back on so he feels less guilty when he walks away.

As for the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT at London Broncos. I have a sinking feeling that it will be an underwhelming announcement that a few people who sit near Hughes will be excited about, but the thousands of alienated fans won't even bother reading.

They BELATEDLY announced a gate of 900 for the Leigh game. 1,340 was the gate v Leigh in 2018, the last time the sides met in the Championship. I am unsure how 440 or 33% FEWER fans can be seen as anything other than further proof that the move to Wimbledon has failed. No doubt the OP will disagree.

23 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Obscure and hidden? I mean, how many more transport options do you want other than train, tube, tram and bus?

As an aside, I heard last night that AFCW is happy with the money Broncos has brought in this season so there’s no dissatisfaction from that side of the groundshare. 

It is not that far from parts of west London but it is still awkward to get to by public transport, especially on a Sunday.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nadera78 said:

You've got some nerve coming back onto a Broncos thread. Chief.

It's okay, he's just hear to tell us that despite the Broncos having a weak season in all aspects with low crowds throughout and bargain basement ticket and hospitality offers, that they still found a way to take money out of the game and give it to his beloved AFC Wimbledon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

5K is a figure first uttered by Nick Cartwright back in 2006. Weirdly, they fell just short that season, in a stadium that was a 15 minute walk to an overland station and miles away from a tube line. Wimbledon is 30 minutes by tube from Euston or Kings Cross and a 5 minute walk and in terms of fans, neither the 10k average at AFC nor the 14k average at Harlequins seem to have a problem finding either stadium!
London Broncos target of 5k was just another target that when missed, will give Hughes another excuse to fall back on so he feels less guilty when he walks away.

As for the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT at London Broncos. I have a sinking feeling that it will be an underwhelming announcement that a few people who sit near Hughes will be excited about, but the thousands of alienated fans won't even bother reading.

They BELATEDLY announced a gate of 900 for the Leigh game. 1,340 was the gate v Leigh in 2018, the last time the sides met in the Championship. I am unsure how 440 or 33% FEWER fans can be seen as anything other than further proof that the move to Wimbledon has failed. No doubt the OP will disagree.

I would like to know where those 900 fans were looked like around 3/400 tops to me (Even less) 

• Like 1

Just now, Man of Kent said:

What could the big news be? Wimbledon Broncos?

Oh come on, you can't be that bored.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's a bit of a waste of time announcing any news at the moment.

There's also not much benefit to delaying as it's only going to be of interest to the already converted.

There's a game this weekend - presumably they thought it was important enough to announce before then. They still should as their key audience is around then.

Does he actually have any experience of coaching RL, outside of these past few months?

It really feels like a typical Hughes appointment.

Edited by nadera78

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

Does he actually have any experience of coaching RL, outside of these past few months?

It really feels like a typical Hughes appointment.

Time will tell, I guess you can say he deserved it after how he got the players to respond to him. 

My question is why is what's the difference between a Head Coach and a Director of Rugby and Performance?

5 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Time will tell, I guess you can say he deserved it after how he got the players to respond to him. 

My question is why is what's the difference between a Head Coach and a Director of Rugby and Performance?

Seems more of an oversight and setting direction role. He will have 2 assistant coaches under him. 

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

I don’t know if the new role will work or what exactly it entails but Eccles’ record at Broncos the last few months have been impressive so I would have been surprised if there wasn’t a role for him moving forward. 

He motivated the team enough to avoid relegation but it's been pretty average since that was secured.

• Like 1