England Squad

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve not really followed the English qualified props playing in the NRL this season (a blunder I know!)

My first thoughts on the Walmsley news was what a nightmare it is for us to lose his strength.

Who will fill his shoes from the battle hardened NRL or will it be another home-based option?

Thompson has had a very disjointed season with concussion and then Covid and only played one game since Round 12.

Sutton has played a bit more (a lot from the bench) but missed the last couple with a hand injury.  He is back this week.

George Burgess season fell off a cliff.

Tom Burgess is nailed on for the squad, so is Thompson I would imagime, despite the lack of game time, as he has the pedigree. I would personally add Sutton ad I think he has improved in the last couple of years and he is a solid middle forward with a good engine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Thompson has had a very disjointed season with concussion and then Covid and only played one game since Round 12.

Sutton has played a bit more (a lot from the bench) but missed the last couple with a hand injury.  He is back this week.

Tom Burgess is nailed on for the squad, so is Thompson I would imagime, despite the lack of game time, as he has the pedigree. I would personally add Sutton ad I think he has improved in the last couple of years and he is a solid middle forward with a good engine.

Max king was born in Huddersfield and has been on form amazing for the bulldogs recently.

George Williams in his worst season at the Raiders - 2021 where he left mid-season:

• 10 games, 3 tries, 7 try assists, 2 line breaks, 9 line break assists, 7 forced dropouts

Hastings 2022 season: 

• 16 games, 0 tries, 7 try assists, 3 line breaks, 4 line break assists, 7 forced dropouts
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UTK said:

George Williams in his worst season at the Raiders - 2021 where he left mid-season:

• 10 games, 3 tries, 7 try assists, 2 line breaks, 9 line break assists, 7 forced dropouts

Hastings 2022 season: 

• 16 games, 0 tries, 7 try assists, 3 line breaks, 4 line break assists, 7 forced dropouts

This a joke right, First of all stats can only tell you so much especially In a fast pace like rugby league, Hastings is a player who plays the first receiver role and is much more of an organiser than a hands on player. And besides if you’re gonna include stats at least make it even and include the stats Hastings exceles like run metres. This proves absolutely nothing about who’s the better player and this makes me question more and more if anyone on the this thread actually watches the nrl.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I don’t think Burgess has ever been really effective as a starting prop,even coming off the bench this year some of his first stints have been pretty average,Oledzki for me has looked tired in the last couple of gamed I’ve watched him so I’d start Thompson with his great engine and ability to play big minutes.

For all Thompson's 'engine' he's by no means a presence, especially in defence. I could see us getting bent through the middle quite quickly with him starting. If there's doubts over Burgess then go Sutton to start. I'm not worried about Oledzki, he'll be firing at the WC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

For all Thompson's 'engine' he's by no means a presence, especially in defence. I could see us getting bent through the middle quite quickly with him starting. If there's doubts over Burgess then go Sutton to start. I'm not worried about Oledzki, he'll be firing at the WC. 

I would certainly be looking to start with the most mobile and better defending middles so we can shore up the middle.  As you say, that's Oledzki and one other. I would say Sutton is a good shout.  They are both mobile in defence which matters as the best teams will be looking to start fast.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

This a joke right, First of all stats can only tell you so much especially In a fast pace like rugby league, Hastings is a player who plays the first receiver role and is much more of an organiser than a hands on player. And besides if you’re gonna include stats at least make it even and include the stats Hastings exceles like run metres. This proves absolutely nothing about who’s the better player and this makes me question more and more if anyone on the this thread actually watches the nrl.

Stats can help validate subjective opinion.

For a 7, i'm less interested in run meters and would like to see stats on kick metres and missed tackles. I would bet you 50p that Williams comes out on top. We could then say, ok, but Hastings has been playing 13 so his kicking could be reduced, but at International level, i want a 7 to be able to tackle. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Stats can help validate subjective opinion.

For a 7, i'm less interested in run meters and would like to see stats on kick metres and missed tackles. I would bet you 50p that Williams comes out on top. We could then say, ok, but Hastings has been playing 13 so his kicking could be reduced, but at International level, i want a 7 to be able to tackle. 

Yeah I definitely agree stats are useful but it’s easy to forget rugby league is not a easily track able sport like basketball. There is so much fundementals and variables that go into a player and some can not be displayed purely by looking at stats. Hastings is a player that does a wide variety of things on a footy field and most cannot be tracked. you really have to watch Hastings for a long time to understand just how good he is. He gets all the little things right that’s why I like him.

Just now, SydneyRoosters said:

Yeah I definitely agree stats are useful but it’s easy to forget rugby league is not a easily track able sport like basketball. There is so much fundementals and variables that go into a player and some can not be displayed purely by looking at stats. Hastings is a player that does a wide variety of things on a footy field and most cannot be tracked. you really have to watch Hastings for a long time to understand just how good he is. He gets all the little things right that’s why I like him.

That's what makes him one of the best 7s in the world 🙂

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

11 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.

I can and yes he is!

We all see something different in players and have our favourites and those we think are elevated above their station, if I was given a choice between Steyd and Hastings, Steyd would get in immediately he can organise, pass, accurately, defend and more importantly is a master tactical kicker something England is sadly lacking, my wish is that Mr Wane recognises this and adds this diemention to our game not doing so is asking for trouble.

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Max king was born in Huddersfield and has been on form amazing for the bulldogs recently.

Oh give it a rest - you tried on the other thread.

King is absolutely a bang average player in a bang average team. Even with Walmsley now missing King still isn't good enough to play for for England !!

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Now now UKT don't you know you can't possibly criticize an Aussie player for not being good enough. Forget the fact Hastings was garbage when he last played for GB or that he's been ordinary all year for Wests. He's an Aussie and he plays in the NRL so he's automatically world class and should be picked for England 😉  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

You sure hate king, did he sleep with your wife or something.

There's no hate, fact is he just isn't anything special at all and nowhere near international class.

The only thing I do hate is Aussies trying to push their 2nd rate players into an England shirt !! If he's not good enough to be considered for a call up by Australia then he's not good enough for England either.

12 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

There's no hate, fact is he just isn't anything special at all and nowhere near international class.

The only thing I do hate is Aussies trying to push their 2nd rate players into an England shirt !! If he's not good enough to be considered for a call up by Australia then he's not good enough for England either.

Born in England and lived there 7 years, English mother. Ability and form aside he’s very much English enough, I wouldn’t even consider that a “heritage” selection. Nothing wrong with extra depth options.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

You start with Oledzki & Sutton your not going to ‘bend’ much in attack though.

• Like 1

Awful news on Walmsley. His size and metre-making are going to be a huge miss for England.

I'd imagine either Hill or Sutton will come in for him.

I'm glad to hear that Hastings appears to be doing well. I think he can offer utility value and game control.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Whats happened to George Burgess?

3 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Awful news on Walmsley. His size and metre-making are going to be a huge miss for England.

I'd imagine either Hill or Sutton will come in for him.

I'm glad to hear that Hastings appears to be doing well. I think he can offer utility value and game control.

Has to be Chris Hill in now - never has a bad game, won't be bullied or dominated by big Pacific props and has all the experience in the world.

Gutted about Big Alex - was the best prop in the world around covid time, not been the same standard this season but still the best we have got.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Has to be Chris Hill in now - never has a bad game, won't be bullied or dominated by big Pacific props and has all the experience in the world.

Gutted about Big Alex - was the best prop in the world around covid time, not been the same standard this season but still the best we have got.

I thought a few years ago that he was finished internationally but he has been a really solid lynchpin and leader for the Giants. His form certainly supports his inclusion, in the wake of the sad news about Walmsley.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Apart from Burgess I can’t think of another prop we have with Walmsley size and impact. So I’d agree Hill seems the next best option. It’s fine when we had Walmsley and burgess to then pick slightly smaller more mobile props to play with them. Like Thompson,Oledski,Lees and Sutton. As I’ve said either in this thread or another it might be worth taking Ormondroyd from Salford into the larger squad to have a look at. 

• Like 2