Rimmer is off

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Understood. Knowledge of the game, the clubs, the culture would be an advantage, though, wouldn't it? Helps to know what you are up against.

Still wonder, but will never know, if this whole thing is part of a bigger plan.

Knowledge can be gained pretty quickly tbh,  the skills and maybe experience is crucial. It'll be interesting to see which way they go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Even money says Jon Dutton.

I hope not. Dutton comes with the same baggage as the people he would be replacing and has been part of the RFL for a decade or so with mixed results. I think the game needs an outsider with a fresh outlook and perspective.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I hope not. Dutton comes with the same baggage as the people he would be replacing and has been part of the RFL for a decade or so with mixed results. I think the game needs an outsider with a fresh outlook and perspective.

I'll give Pete V'landys a call and see if he can squeeze it in.

new rise.jpg

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

I agree with all that but appointing Dutton would fit extraordinarily well with how the game is operating at the minute.

Obviously, though, the RFL are going to be blown away by my CV so it's all moot anyway.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Knowledge can be gained pretty quickly tbh,  the skills and maybe experience is crucial. It'll be interesting to see which way they go. 

Perhaps whoever gets the job is best not knowing about the sport. 😀

After all, reading the many posts on the forum, who in their right mind, knowing what we know, would want the job.😀

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

The search is now on for his and her successors. I'm sure there will be no end of applicants among those critical forum members who now have a wonderful opportunity to bring their ideas to fruition. Please form an orderly queue.😀😀😀

Joking apart, though, apart from The Game Caller, who might the actual candidates be? 

No British person sticks out for that I'm aware off. who we could afford

If you held a gun to my head i would say an Aussie or Kiwi who's ambitious who's involved with a NRL club or who works for the ARLC

A good clearout  is what the League needs. I hope the new boss will have a bit more get up and go, and sort out the mess we are in . eg referees, the disciplinary panel, the league structure and many other problems.

7 hours ago, M j M said:

Whilst he might have done some good stuff behind the scenes, this is undeniably good news.

The game needs a visible, credible leader, who can be seen to be in control and who can clearly set out what's going on. They might not be popular, in fact they inevitably won't be - but they do need to be visible and seen to be in charge.

Agreed , Hard working well meaning administrator , The game needs a leader who won’t leave issues in the in box . 

• Haha 1

Let me make a simple observation.

I have no idea whether Ralph Rimmer has been good at his job for the simple reason that I have never seen the job description.  If I were to see that, I might not agree with some, or all, of its content.  But I cannot criticise somebody if I do not know what they were meant to do (i.e. what was expected of them by their managers).

I am intrigued by the discussions on here about who might be an appropriate successor for Rimmer in that I would assume that there could be some very good candidates who might not be known to any of us.  It really does depend on what you want Rimmer's successor to do.

Whether your - or my - aspirations for the role equate to the job description is another matter, as, indeed, are the merits (or otherwise!) of the job description, whatever it might say.

In drafting the paragraphs above, I have found myself thinking increasingly that i really, really would like to see the job description for the role, which I presume will be readily available when the post is openly advertised...

...won't it?

• Like 4

Here's the thing!

Dutton could organise the best RLWC in history but does that really make him the best man to take charge of the RFL for the next five to ten years?

It strengthens his CV but does that make him the person we need to front up against the IRL and the Yorkshire League?

Different skill sets.

Nah! It's time the Augean stables were cleared of the horsesh!t. 

The new CEO needs to be freed of the clubs' ability to veto and promote their small town self-interest. The grassroots need to be ring-fenced, with a quality commission with an adequate budget. (Think the 12 SL clubs and their worst imports from down under. Think their collective salary. Best spent on them or on grassroots juniors and youth).

• Like 3

CEO of the RFL is a political post more than a business post, that needs to change.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

For all the celebrations at Rimmer leaving I think he did an OK under difficult circumstances for the sport. Many of the issues such as Super League appointing a useless CEO, and Covid were largely out of his control. His heart is in the right place and certainly he wanted the best for the whole of the game. I'd be very worried that his successor will have a remit only to think about what's right for Superleague and damn what's below it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do think Rimmer was probably quite a capable administrator, I've heard plenty of people whose opinions I trust say so. But he's not the leader the game needed, and possibly never would be.

I do however think we need someone from outside the game. Someone with desire to improve and progress, but also enough recent experience to not pose too much of a risk. 
Someone with the appetite for a fight and who will look to improve the game year on year.

Sadly, this person probably doesn't exist.

There is no one i can think of currently involved in RL who i think would make a good replacement for RR.

Edit: I know he is kind of connected to RL, or has been in the past, but I wonder if Mark Evans (currently CEO or Fiji Drua - I think) name will get a mention. I'd heard he went for the role prior to RR being announced, but was never spoken to (good old RFL).

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk