Rimmer is off

31 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Indeed but let's not go down that path anymore.

It needs someone with vision and a plan for growth. Usually growth is expansion to new areas as well as maximising what you already have.

As I understand it, that's what IMG have been brought onboard for.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with and how they SL and RFL will work together functionally.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

No, you need a passionate leader taking the sport forward but you said that was IMG

Passionate in what way? If passion was the main criteria then you have thousands of fans you could select from, in fact Beaumont would be in the frame for CEO (but God help RL)!

Sure, the new head needs passion, but I'd rather it is a passion to do a first class job and a passion to deliver significant improvements and benefits to RL. It doesn't have to be someone who believes RL is TGG. We need an influencer, communicator and leader with the hide of a rhino and a list of contacts the length of the yellow pages. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Passionate in what way? If passion was the main criteria then you have thousands of fans you could select from, in fact Beaumont would be in the frame for CEO (but God help RL)!

Sure, the new head needs passion, but I'd rather it is a passion to do a first class job and a passion to deliver significant improvements and benefits to RL. It doesn't have to be someone who believes RL is TGG. We need an influencer, communicator and leader with the hide of a rhino and a list of contacts the length of the yellow pages. 

well said. On the other hand we could have Dave from Dave's Vinyls and Carpets from under the railway arches who always puts a few quid behind the bar for the lads and get's into fights with the coach if he doesn't pick his favourite player.

Edited by Gordon Street

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Is that a serious reply- whether top or bottom of the pile without passion potential will never be reached. The skills that go with the passion will vary level by level

21 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Is that a serious reply- whether top or bottom of the pile without passion potential will never be reached. The skills that go with the passion will vary level by level

There's a lot more to it than "passion" however that may be characterized. 

It's maybe an old piece of work, but still valid, in mt view.

https://www.betterup.com/blog/types-of-power

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Open your other eye!

I was referring to only the top level. You introduced everything downward.

No... a new CEO doesn't need to have the same passion as a supporter from a village in Lancashire. 

On 05/09/2022 at 19:51, Tommygilf said:

Not seen all that much sadness in reaction to this. 

Karen Moorhouse departing the RFL too.

There's a Mick Gledhill video doing the rounds again too.

Yes, just a load of bile from the usual suspects who have no idea of the amount of work, or otherwise, that these people put into their jobs.

I seem to recall nothing but praise from many clubs following the massive effort that was put into arranging a rescue package during the Covid crisis (remember that?).

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

No, you need a passionate leader taking the sport forward but you said that was IMG

The allure of the "charismatic"leader is tempting, especially if you think matters need changing.

All I wail say is that the depth of the new CEO's "passion" may be important for some, whilst others may ask for competence as the guide, it is really the whole manner of the RFL's direction that needs reforming.

A new person at the helm won't make much difference if it is continuity Wood et Rimmer and the same outcomes.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

59 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Open your other eye!

I was referring to only the top level. You introduced everything downward.

No... a new CEO doesn't need to have the same passion as a supporter from a village in Lancashire. 

this word passion is getting bandied about . It takes many forms, and manifests itself in different ways. It's become a weasel word, a catch all. I'm sure there are better, more meaningful words that describe the qualities needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Spoken like a state paid employee

Nah... spoken like someone in the private sector, formerly self-employed and small business owner, with an offer in on another business. 

How many threads do you derail? (There's a certain irony there!).

And how many shoulders do you have because you've got a chip on each, but have more than two chips.

• Haha 3