Rochdale play off game

Jackie61

Can't argue with what you have said about goal-line defence, but three tries came from woeful calls from the referee which made life very easy for them.

It would be interesting to see how much of the ball we had and the penalty count.

Refereeing is hard but this one made it easy for Hornets.

That out of my system, all the best to Hornets whoever they play - just take this ref. with you!

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, saints10coach said:

Thought we scored the better tries, but were second best in most aspects of the game today. We lost the ground in attack and defence and our goal line defence was woeful. Entertaining and even enjoyed the biff, but think next season is almost already over for one of our players.

Why? 

Well i will say well done Oldham today. Not the win i would have hoped for but felt very proud of the lads and thoroughly enjoyed the last game of the season.

Agree that Rochdale will still be with us nxt year so look forward to the local derbies! And not sour grapes but the truth. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jroyales said:

Can't argue with what you have said about goal-line defence, but three tries came from woeful calls from the referee which made life very easy for them.

It would be interesting to see how much of the ball we had and the penalty count.

Refereeing is hard but this one made it easy for Hornets.

That out of my system, all the best to Hornets whoever they play - just take this ref. with you!

I thought the ref favoured Oldham in the first half. Second half he evened it up.

• Like 1

I don't think you were watching the same game! If you get the chance watch the game again and then voice an opinion. Refereeing is hard, but this one was out of his depth. Rochdale had quite a few old heads who managed him superbly, as opposed to a very young inexperienced Oldham side.

The fight at the end was caused by Chase pushing Whittel in the back. The Oldham player got involved and was rightly sin binned. The Rochdale player on the bench said something and then sprayed water over the Oldham player - then it all kicked off. The disciplinary MUST look at Chase. Without his foul play none of the fight would have taken place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

I don't think you were watching the same game! If you get the chance watch the game again and then voice an opinion. Refereeing is hard, but this one was out of his depth. Rochdale had quite a few old heads who managed him superbly, as opposed to a very young inexperienced Oldham side.

The fight at the end was caused by Chase pushing Whittel in the back. The Oldham player got involved and was rightly sin binned. The Rochdale player on the bench said something and then sprayed water over the Oldham player - then it all kicked off. The disciplinary MUST look at Chase. Without his foul play none of the fight would have taken place.

If Chase fouled the Oldham player how did we get the penalty ? A push in the back ? We’re talking Rugby League here, not Premier League football.

On 09/09/2022 at 23:29, HornetsGrey said:

To be fair it had everything to do with Hornets - we just needed to pay for the full stand.   The football club chairman was using twitter to announce the game to encourage more fans earlier in the week.  Fair play.  Once Mr Mazey paid for the full stand the capacity doubled.   Hope we can fill it too.  May the best side on the day and all that

Well the news came through that the capacity was upped.I saw it on Thursday.I had decided to do something else but changed my mind and got a ticket.

Regardless of whose fault it is many people didn't go because of the uncertainty.I can name several.

As an exercise in getting the crowd below 950 it worked a treat. 

Why not go for 850 next year?

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If Chase fouled the Oldham player how did we get the penalty ?

Because the referee was shocking yesterday. Totally out of his depth.

Two incidents in the first half where the player was lifted above the horizontal and dropped. Rightly penalised but both incidents were sin bin cases. That has been the rule all season. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, andykenny said:

Well the news came through that the capacity was upped.I saw it on Thursday.I had decided to do something else but changed my mind and got a ticket.

Regardless of whose fault it is many people didn't go because of the uncertainty.I can name several.

I think a great opportunity was missed.

18 hours ago, saints10coach said:

Thought we scored the better tries, but were second best in most aspects of the game today. We lost the ground in attack and defence and our goal line defence was woeful. Entertaining and even enjoyed the biff, but think next season is almost already over for one of our players.

Good summing up of the the game. 

On the incident at the end of the game, tempers have already flared when a player has been sin binned in such an incident. No way should he have to pass the through a group of opposing players. The lad who would him up and squirted water on him was a disgrace and that caused the flare up. It should be investigated as a whole incident 

Edited by sheddingswasus
Spelling
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, andykenny said:

I didn't go either. Too much faff.

• Sad 1

On 12/09/2022 at 08:00, jroyales said:

Whittel charged grade D

Cameron grade F

Moi moi 2 match ban

No

thing for the water boy

These penalties back up what a few of us have said the referee was out of his depth and if he, as I am led to believe, put his report in to get these penalties, validates the referee being a homer.

We stood little chance of getting a result. That said all the best to our "close" neighbours against the Crusaders.

4 hours ago, DaveButt said:

Wonder if you would have had the same attitude towards the ref if Howdumb had won.

Dave, we were sat with the Swinton fans who went and they were of the opinion that the ref was very poor and missed so much and gave a lot of wrong decisions . That was to both teams by the way. It was this that led to much of the niggle. 

Personally I don't like to bag refs but this season we have had a lot of poor ones. It is a hard job, but if you are putting up for the job, do it right please

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You want Chase suspending for a “ push “ ? What’s the game coming to ? The day it gets like football will be the day I give up.

Chase should have been penalised but wasn't and this set the incident off.

No further action against chase apart from he should have been penalised and then there would have been no melee.

The water boy (no 26?) should be under investigation as there is no place in our game for that!

Hornets deserved their win in the end as they were just a bit better and more experienced

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Chase should have been penalised but wasn't and this set the incident off.

No further action against chase apart from he should have been penalised and then there would have been no melee.

The water boy (no 26?) should be under investigation as there is no place in our game for that!

Hornets deserved their win in the end as they were just a bit better and more experienced

So every time the lad doesn’t get a penalty he thinks he should have he loses the plot ?  He isn’t long for this game if that’s the case.