Travel costs to France

21 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

These days, Leeds almost always fly in and out on the day of the game. 

Quite. The only difference this time is the cost is more due to its last minute nature; and they put out a story about the logistics of it, partly because it's an interesting story but also to publicise it to try and very quickly shift some of those spare seats - whereas normally there's probably a small number of regular-ish people on these flights in the Taverners Club etc who snap them up.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd have guessed some on here would have been scathing , suggesting if a club moans about having to stand this cost they aren't SL standard 

What a nihilistic thing to say. The club isn't standing the cost. The fans who buy the tickets are. Why pick on Salford? They are a club on the up, at last starting to realise their huge potential.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

What a nihilistic thing to say. The club isn't standing the cost. The fans who buy the tickets are. Why pick on Salford? They are a club on the up, at last starting to realise their huge potential.

I'm not picking on Salford 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

you are doing exactly that. You chose them; why them? I'm not saying you are conducting a programme of victimisation; but you picked on them to illustrate your point whatever it was. 

I chose them because they were the other team that would have ended up having to play Catalans , my point ( that obviously went clear over your head ) being that if they had publicised the cost , they would have received more criticism ( unfairly IMO ) on here than Leeds have 

Feel free to reply , I won't be doing so in return 

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I chose them because they were the other team that would have ended up having to play Catalans , my point ( that obviously went clear over your head ) being that if they had publicised the cost , they would have received more criticism ( unfairly IMO ) on here than Leeds have 

I understood your point. It was pointlessly speculative. Thankyou for allowing me to feel free to reply. I didn't realise you occupied a position of authority on the forum. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

So, you've made up a situation, imagined what might have happened in that situation if everyone behaved in ways that you, and only you, have decided they would, and then got angry online about it?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So, you've made up a situation, imagined what might have happened in that situation if everyone behaved in ways that you, and only you, have decided they would, and then got angry online about it?

Don't forget gotting oh so close to saying "facts" or "simple as", before saying "I'm done with this".

• Like 3

I haven’t got the will to read pages 2-4 so apologies if my comments have already been made.

These points are irrespective of whoever pays for the flights.

1. Visits to Catalans during the regular season.  Once the fixtures are known can 25 seats on 13 scheduled flights to Catalans be booked for the season.  Surely players can sit in economy class for 2 hours.  Do not change the dates of the fixtures! If flight times mean an overnight stay then strike a deal with a local hotel. This should substantially reduce existing costs.

2. For the play-offs.  Two options.  Option 1 do what Leeds have had to do and organise a charter flight.  

OR.  Option 2.  Plan ahead at the start of the season !!!!!!!   In any season it is possible that 5 flights may need to be planned for either Catalans or their opponents as Catalans could reach the play offs and the Grand Final.  I.e. 5 flights are needed to be booked as Catalans could play home or away in Week 1 and Week 2 and play away in the Grand Final.

So why not purchase 25 tickets on these 5 potential flights upon the commencement of the season?

I.e. For arguments sake let’s assume next season Catalans finish 4th again.

Therefore before Week 1 of the play offs commence you can already cancel purchased tickets for Catalans flying to the UK in Week 1 as they would have an home game in Week 1.  Also cancel purchased tickets for any team travelling to Catalans in Week 2 as Catalans would have no other home games.

Week 1 - Catalans home fixture.  The away team already have tickets purchased.  If Catalans lose this game then the two sets of flight tickets for Week 2 and the GF are automatically cancelled. If Catalans win then …….

Week 2 - their flight tickets to the UK are already purchased.  If they lose in Week 2 then cancel flight tickets for Grand Final week.  If they win then the tickets are already purchased.

Caveat - I am basing the above on my very limited knowledge of the Air Industry ticketing policy.  Can such a volume of tickets per flight be canceled at such short notice?  Or can be tickets be transferred to a later date so they can be used for the first few games of the following season?

Anyway it is just a suggestion.

14 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I haven’t got the will to read pages 2-4 so apologies if my comments have already been made.

These points are irrespective of whoever pays for the flights.

1. Visits to Catalans during the regular season.  Once the fixtures are known can 25 seats on 13 scheduled flights to Catalans be booked for the season.  Surely players can sit in economy class for 2 hours.  Do not change the dates of the fixtures! If flight times mean an overnight stay then strike a deal with a local hotel. This should substantially reduce existing costs.

2. For the play-offs.  Two options.  Option 1 do what Leeds have had to do and organise a charter flight.  

OR.  Option 2.  Plan ahead at the start of the season !!!!!!!   In any season it is possible that 5 flights may need to be planned for either Catalans or their opponents as Catalans could reach the play offs and the Grand Final.  I.e. 5 flights are needed to be booked as Catalans could play home or away in Week 1 and Week 2 and play away in the Grand Final.

So why not purchase 25 tickets on these 5 potential flights upon the commencement of the season?

I.e. For arguments sake let’s assume next season Catalans finish 4th again.

Therefore before Week 1 of the play offs commence you can already cancel purchased tickets for Catalans flying to the UK in Week 1 as they would have an home game in Week 1.  Also cancel purchased tickets for any team travelling to Catalans in Week 2 as Catalans would have no other home games.

Week 1 - Catalans home fixture.  The away team already have tickets purchased.  If Catalans lose this game then the two sets of flight tickets for Week 2 and the GF are automatically cancelled. If Catalans win then …….

Week 2 - their flight tickets to the UK are already purchased.  If they lose in Week 2 then cancel flight tickets for Grand Final week.  If they win then the tickets are already purchased.

Caveat - I am basing the above on my very limited knowledge of the Air Industry ticketing policy.  Can such a volume of tickets per flight be canceled at such short notice?  Or can be tickets be transferred to a later date so they can be used for the first few games of the following season?

Anyway it is just a suggestion.

Leeds do book private charter flights to Catalans during the regular season, and did so less than 2 weeks ago for the regular season game.

6 days notice flight booking is the point being made.

North Walsham Union club (who are in the fourth or fifth tier are flying to Guernsey for a league game this season, I was talking to a mate yesterday (which is how I found out) and they are well up for it. They’re also paying their own costs. If amateur clubs in that league can do it, and relish it, I can’t understand how professional RL clubs think it’s unacceptable for them to pay for their own flight to Toulouse in the European Super League. RL while a fabulous sport is so frustratingly parochial, it’s no wonder blue chip sponsors aren’t interested when the game enjoys wallowing in it’s own impoverished image. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds do book private charter flights to Catalans during the regular season, and did so less than 2 weeks ago for the regular season game.

6 days notice flight booking is the point being made.

No the point being made in the OP is there will be empty seats on the charter that is booked, and the club decides a figure of £800 is a fair price to charge loyal fans. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

North Walsham Union club (who are in the fourth or fifth tier are flying to Guernsey for a league game this season, I was talking to a mate yesterday (which is how I found out) and they are well up for it. They’re also paying their own costs. If amateur clubs in that league can do it, and relish it, I can’t understand how professional RL clubs think it’s unacceptable for them to pay for their own flight to Toulouse in the European Super League. RL while a fabulous sport is so frustratingly parochial, it’s no wonder blue chip sponsors aren’t interested when the game enjoys wallowing in it’s own impoverished image. 

Has that changed because Guernsey (and Jersey (and I believe the Isle of Man team in the NWCL) too) were paying the travel costs of visiting teams and officials - and live streaming the game for those who couldn't get to the island - before?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

No the point being made in the OP is there will be empty seats on the charter that is booked, and the club decides a figure of £800 is a fair price to charge loyal fans. 

Fair enough, doubt you'll get much cheaper at the same quality and with the logistics sorted for you for much less. 

I did the trip in July, booked a week before (like this) to meet some mates who were going to be travelling there from Toulouse and stayed in a pretty bog standard youth hostel. Flew Leeds to Girona and back, coaches from the airport to Perpignan and back, 2 5am starts back to back, public transport to and from the airport in Britain. Was well worth it to me, but even that wasn't cheap. 

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Has that changed because Guernsey (and Jersey (and I believe the Isle of Man team in the NWCL) too) were paying the travel costs of visiting teams and officials - and live streaming the game for those who couldn't get to the island - before?

Well I’m only going on what my pal told me, he’s an ex player and fan so not involved on the board or anything, but he seems to know what’s going on there. He could be wrong though in fairness. 

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

These aren't really being sold to "loyal fans" though - or at least, that's not the clubs main intention with these charters. They're being sold to corporate customers and, whilst any bum on any seat helps the club offset the cost, that's clearly who the club wants to be sat in them.

A captive market of corporate decision makers stuck in an aluminium tube for two hours with Rob Oates? That's what the club wants. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

These aren't really being sold to "loyal fans" though - or at least, that's not the clubs main intention with these charters. They're being sold to corporate customers and, whilst any bum on any seat helps the club offset the cost, that's clearly who the club wants to be sat in them.

A captive market of corporate decision makers stuck in an aluminium tube for two hours with Rob Oates? That's what the club wants. 

Corporate customers can be loyal fans though can’t they? Just fans who can afford things like £800 to fly to France for the day? 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Corporate customers can be loyal fans though can’t they? Just fans who can afford things like £800 to fly to France for the day? 

I don't think they were the salt of the earth live and die on the terraces type of loyal fans Harry was referring to.