IMG proposals to be presented to clubs next week?

24 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Is this legit? 

That date has been mentioned by other folk so Gledhill is presumably copying their workings.

Also the 28th is not next week.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That date has been mentioned by other folk so Gledhill is presumably copying their workings.

Also the 28th is not next week.

Some stuff is being circulated on 15th, apparently. The meeting to debate it is on 28th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I imagine there's probably something in it because the timeline fits with what has been previously mentioned.

Just because he's not an ace reporter doesn't mean the Chairman of a Championship/League 1 club won't pick up the phone to him and spill the beans. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

40 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I imagine there's probably something in it because the timeline fits with what has been previously mentioned.

Just because he's not an ace reporter doesn't mean the Chairman of a Championship/League 1 club won't pick up the phone to him and spill the beans. 

Di Keith Fowler... the master of the understatement.. 😛

46 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Yeah, I agree with that. He may be a self-glorified Bradford fan-with-mic but he's quite well connected, to be fair.  

15 minutes ago, crashmon said:

can you imagine Wakefield finally get their new stadium, then find they don't make the top level in licensing owing to some other criteria.  

Hard to see what criteria they could fall short on once the stadium issue is resolved. No team outside SL could credibly say they'd get higher crowds, except maybe Leigh. And all the potential expansion challengers for a licenced place like London, Toulouse or Newcastle are going backwards at the moment. 

Cas better get a shift on though. 

I'd imagine the chances of licensing coming in being quite high given what IMG has done with basketball. I don't think it's all that controversial, really. It's time to stop fannying around.

Of course, Euro basketball is more like franchising. That really would be controversial in rugby league.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'd imagine the chances of licensing coming in being quite high given what IMG has done with basketball. I don't think it's all that controversial, really. It's time to stop fannying around.

Of course, Euro basketball is more like franchising. That really would be controversial in rugby league.  

is it? each licence has a finite number of years and then is reviewed. Different clubs have different lengths of licence depending on "their worth".. so some have a 10 year licence some a 3 etc.. I would say this is more like licencing than franchising where you buy in and thats it unless you are bought out.

Just now, RP London said:

is it? each licence has a finite number of years and then is reviewed. Different clubs have different lengths of licence depending on "their worth".. so some have a 10 year licence some a 3 etc.. I would say this is more like licencing than franchising where you buy in and thats it unless you are bought out.

The associate licencing element of EuroBasket is the bit which, if carried over, would, I think, be enough to carry a lot of the mid-tier clubs over to the closed shop side.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, RP London said:

Oh, I thought they did buy in. https://www.sportspromedia.com/categories/finance-investment/investment/euroleague-basketball-o2-arena-london-franchise-investment/

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

My understanding of what is going on now is that the investors of London Lions (who already exist and play in the BBL) are trying to build them up to be a legitimate bid for a Euro spot.

I have no idea if that puts them into conflict with that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Is that a buy in or is it part of the licence criteria for a London team that they must invest £20m a year into the club? so a guarentee that they can, which it does say in the article is the average budget of a Euro Basket team.. 

seems reasonable in the criteria for a licence that you can afford to run a team to that level. 

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

As the article says, a newly created, stand alone London franchise would be a first for Euroleague, all of whose other teams also play in their domestic leagues. 

I thought that artice also contained some useful nuggets from a rival sport which could inform our London thread. Firstly, that they think their London team needs about £17m a year to function, and then this quote from the Euroleague executive: "In that particular territory [London], you also need the players for the team to be competitive; there is so much on offer [to fans] in London, it would be difficult not to have the best of the best. An underperforming team would be deemed a failure for the EuroLeague."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

can you imagine Wakefield finally get their new stadium, then find they don't make the top level in licensing owing to some other criteria.  

Well its only one new stand the other 2 stands and block of flats are derelict.

if its franchising likely one of 3 from Wakefield met would get in alone,

Edited by Live after death