IMG proposals to be presented to clubs next week?

19 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

I don't recall an instance of a dictator being appointed. They tend to either seize power or are elected. Being placed in a position with a mandate is hardly a dictatorship. Also maybe putting egos and parochial self interest aside and 'sucking up' as you call it, some home truths might not be that bad an idea. 

It'd be a terrible idea. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Gordon Street said:

I don't know whether it is terrible or not, and I'm past caring. What I do know is that what we have now follows the long standing rugby league tradition of holding itself back through self interest. 

IMHO the problems have been more in the central leadership camp more so than the club camps. 

It's no coincidence that we did many things better when we had a quality administrator in Lewis. 

If the central leadership and governance can be sorted and quality people brought in,  we have the chance to do well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

IMHO the problems have been more in the central leadership camp more so than the club camps. 

It's no coincidence that we did many things better when we had a quality administrator in Lewis. 

If the central leadership and governance can be sorted and quality people brought in,  we have the chance to do well. 

that's what I'm getting at. But you can have all the quality leadership in the world, but it's pointless without power. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

that's what I'm getting at. But you can have all the quality leadership in the world, but it's pointless without power. 

They do have power though.  Good leaders get people to follow them. 

But the game has to be protected from a terrible leader coming in and making terrible decisions that could genuinely harm the game. 

People are all for leaders to come in and control everything,  until they choose to do stuff they don't like. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It'd be a terrible idea. 

It seems to work OK in the NRL.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 06/09/2022 at 17:13, crashmon said:

Dont forget the cost of a Pint....

West Yorkshire about £3  I would guess
West London about £7 if your lucky, can get up to £10 in some places.

I was in Wimbledon for Broncos v Barrow Raiders and paid about £5 to £ 6 per pint and £ 5.50 at the stadium

Just now, Dave T said:

Clubs still get to vote on a lot of key decisions. As they seem to in most comps. 

Significant executive authority is vested in their COO. It is entirely different from the RFL structure as you know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Significant executive authority is vested in their COO. It is entirely different from the RFL structure as you know.

Tbh I can't really find much detail around governance and voting rights (if there are still any) in the governance sections on their site,  so I'm not sure who has what rights. 

9 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I simply think IMG,given their standing in sports management will make proposals that will benefit the professional game free of clubs self interest.

Wasn't it an outside source that created the Super 8's for us. Which I think is probably the worst decision RL has ever made.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

They do have power though.  Good leaders get people to follow them. 

But the game has to be protected from a terrible leader coming in and making terrible decisions that could genuinely harm the game. 

People are all for leaders to come in and control everything,  until they choose to do stuff they don't like. 

leaders in businesses and organisations don't 'come in' they are appointed. The whole point is that choices that people don't like have to be made. People making choices that they do like ie suits them is a massive part of the problem, and is the actual crux of what I'm saying. 

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I believe, but don't know for certain, that the critical criterion is being a member club of the RFL, which they aren't. Their membership of SLE should be secondary to that.

Catalan aren’t a member of the RFL but they got a vote last time they just chose to abstain. 

7 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Given the Queen's death I think proposals might be delayed until after next Monday.

I would hope not. That would leave less time for them to be considered before the meeting on 28th.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, Griff said:

I would hope not. That would leave less time for them to be considered before the meeting on 28th.

No matter what, they'll read the report, consider it then vote to stay the same and will have wasted a fortune getting a private company in to improve the game😁, or they'll change a couple of things and will go back to the way things where a couple of seasons later. 

Edited by barnyia

3 hours ago, Phil W said:

Given the Queen's death I think proposals might be delayed until after next Monday.

would be a great day to bury (cant think of a better word sorry) bad news.. 

On 12/09/2022 at 18:54, Gordon Street said:

I don't recall an instance of a dictator being appointed. They tend to either seize power or are elected. Being placed in a position with a mandate is hardly a dictatorship. Also maybe putting egos and parochial self interest aside and 'sucking up' as you call it, some home truths might not be that bad an idea. 

oh oh.. pedant mode!!!

The original use of the term Dictator was in ancient Rome where the Senate would appoint a Dictator for a 6 month period to basically deal with whatever sh**y situation was happening at the time that needed someone to come in and deal with it.. They then would step down. It was Gaius Julius Ceaser who was the first to say "ooh i like this i might keep going" but he was originally appointed as a "Dictator" by the senate and should have given it up after 6 months. .. 

I think Dictatorship (in the original Roman meaning) is perfect for IMG... they only have a fixed term but they may just stay on if they quite like it

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RP London said:

oh oh.. pedant mode!!!

The original use of the term Dictator was in ancient Rome where the Senate would appoint a Dictator for a 6 month period to basically deal with whatever sh**y situation was happening at the time that needed someone to come in and deal with it.. They then would step down. It was Gaius Julius Ceaser who was the first to say "ooh i like this i might keep going" but he was originally appointed as a "Dictator" by the senate and should have given it up after 6 months. .. 

I think Dictatorship (in the original Roman meaning) is perfect for IMG... they only have a fixed term but they may just stay on if they quite like it

you are a very learned person. Your last sentence is very sweet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Griff said:

Is there a meeting on the 28th to consider these proposals?

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

oh oh.. pedant mode!!!

12 years!