Fri 9th Sept: SL: Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/22 at 19:00

Didn't see it hear the game, but from the posts on here, it sounds like the game was Cats returning to their indiscipline of old and Rhinos continuing their challenge to Leeds United as the team in the Premier League with the worst record of indiscipline.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not sure anyone is saying that Cats losing is the ref's fault.

What people are saying is that we got a very ugly game where for very long stretches it appears that the ref was not in control.

Now, you can, as you have, say that there was only one option available to the ref and that would have caused more moaning. But we know that's not true because there are multiple different ways to referee a game but whichever approach Child led with last night did not work either in reducing offending or creating a spectacle.

I'd assume that's something that Child and the RFL will want to review to minimise the chances of it happening again.

Related: the video ref was an embarrassing process and the Match Review Panel will be hilarious.

The ultimate point it's not the refs fault. By saying the ref could do things differently and need to review suggests blame, or at least some blame, is at their door and not were it should be, firmly with the players.

Edited by David Dockhouse Host
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Didn't see it hear the game, but from the posts on here, it sounds like the game was Cats returning to their indiscipline of old and Rhinos continuing their challenge to Leeds United as the team in the Premier League with the worst record of indiscipline.

Leeds' discipline was fine

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Unfortunately for you much of the shocking indiscipline came with a large, cherry red "MADE IN WIGAN" stamp.

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I do wonder if that basically one sided cauldron of a crowd does impact catalans negatively in these big games, particularly when they start bottling it.

I don't know whether it's a French sporting culture,  but the victim mentality is thriving at Catalans and it has for years. 

The Chairman,  coaches,  fans and players are all as bad as each other. 

I'd describe Catalans as my 2nd team and I support them apart from games against Wire,  but sometimes they make it hard to do so. 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Pretty much 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't know whether it's a French sporting culture,  but the victim mentality is thriving at Catalans and it has for years. 

I'd describe Catalans as my 2nd team and I support them apart from games against Wire,  but sometimes they make it hard to do so. 

I actually thought McNamara had got them in a much better place the last few years. It definitely came out again last night maybe a culmination of frustration with the ref and realising they are all just a bit too old now. Remind me which ones have wire signed again. 😉

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Far be it from me to defend Leeds,  I'll leave that to their fans,  but in terms of normal play I thought they were OK,  the poor discipline was very much driven by Catalans imho -  hence the cards being one-sided.  And I do think Napa was lucky to stay on the field with his 2nd high tackle which looked like a forceful high shoulder to the jaw,  his speciality. 

Where Leeds were out of order was around diving,  play-acting and the nonsense 3rd and 4th man in for a group cuddle which seemingly stopped the game every 3 or 4 minutes. They lost the plot and contributed to a scrappy game that was ultimately ruined,  but I do think it was Catalans driven. 

FWIW I thought Leeds were playing some great RL at the time Catalans started to drag the game to farcical level. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The dark arts and a certain victim mentality are still alive and well in French "rugby", unsurprising to see in in RL of course too. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I actually thought McNamara had got them in a much better place the last few years. It definitely came out again last night maybe a culmination of frustration with the ref and realising they are all just a bit too old now. Remind me which ones have wire signed again. 😉

I did think the same thing last night 🤣

39 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeds' discipline was fine

No it wasn't , it was borderline , whereas the Cats just lost it , partly as we see when a few 50/50 decisions go against any team , yes it's up to the players to control themselves 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

No it wasn't , it was borderline , whereas the Cats just lost it , partly as we see when a few 50/50 decisions go against any team , yes it's up to the players to control themselves 

The very nature of borders is they are black and white. Catalans got 2 yellows and a Red. Leeds got nowhere near.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

The ultimate point it's not the refs fault. By saying the ref could do things differently and need to review suggests blame, or at least some blame, is at their door and not were it should be, firmly with the players.

By saying that, you're basically saying it's never the referee's fault, or that the referee has no responsibility at all and is blameless, which is just not true.

A referee is a bit like a teacher when it comes to behaviour management. How they approach incidents can either escalate or de-escalate. 

• Like 5
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

By saying that, you're basically saying it's never the referee's fault, or that the referee has no responsibility at all and is blameless, which is just not true.

A referee is a bit like a teacher when it comes to behaviour management. How they approach incidents can either escalate or de-escalate. 

Indeed, but players are grown professional adults. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Referee is responsible for applying the laws of the game. Players are grown adults not children who become unruly. Players shouldn't be treated like children they should be expected to control themselves or suffer the consequence of not doing so, not blame the ref/teacher!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I switched off before the very end so missed this.

That sort of thing should see Cats - and any club where similar happens - playing games behind closed doors for a spell.

There did look to be a few fans lobbing their beers in the direction of Leeds players when they went over to the Leeds fans to celebrate. Catalans fans are notorious for getting on the ref's back (even more so than Headingley south standers believe it or not!😁) but they actually took the hiding we got off them really well last month. 2 or 3 fans randomly even came up to us and applauded us and shook our hands after the game.

I'm assuming some of the on-pitch antics from both teams had a lot to do with some pent up fan aggression (not condoning it in any way btw as some of our own fans have been known to throw the odd beer in the past as well).

• Like 1

Looks like a bit of a back to the drawing board for Catalans and McNamara now. Even during their LLS season last year they struggled when the likes of Saints/Wire defended their usual attacking patterns, once these structures stopped working for them they were repeatedly unable to come up with an answer and things disintegrated quickly. Only individual moments of brilliance from Tomkins, Mourgue and Maloney carried them through the big games that season. Now Maloney is gone, Tomkins looks a shell of the player he was last season and Mourgue is rarely given solid gametime outside of Tomkins being injured.

SST is a massive upgrade on Dudson and Ma'u is a handy addition to the squad for next season but something has to be worked out with the spine. Between Tomkins, Mourgue, Drinkwater, May and Pearce there are plenty of options at 1/6/7 but McIlorum has had about half a dozen good games at the club and Da Costa has yet to steal the jersey from him in the little time he gets.

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Its worked for Liverpool in soccer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Very much hoping Hudds beat Salford now as I don’t see any way that Leeds side beats saints at saints.

A really poor game and Catalans were (again) a joke.

People keep telling me how important Tomkins will be for his leadership in the World Cup . . . .

Dont let the nightmares get to you 🥵

• Haha 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Whilst no way blaming Mr Child for the mess that was a rugby match last night,he could have helped himself by coming down hard on dissent,especially from such as Garcia.

Why are refs nowadays so reluctant to march teams 10m down the pitch for verbals? They would soon get the message. If not,reach for the back pocket. Think Billy Thompson.

Oh,and definitely. Stop calling the players mate or by their first names. If they want to speak to a player it's by their team  name and number.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Anything that the team from the Emptyad win doesn't count . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

14 minutes ago, UTK said:

Looks like a bit of a back to the drawing board for Catalans and McNamara now. Even during their LLS season last year they struggled when the likes of Saints/Wire defended their usual attacking patterns, once these structures stopped working for them they were repeatedly unable to come up with an answer and things disintegrated quickly. Only individual moments of brilliance from Tomkins, Mourgue and Maloney carried them through the big games that season. Now Maloney is gone, Tomkins looks a shell of the player he was last season and Mourgue is rarely given solid gametime outside of Tomkins being injured.

SST is a massive upgrade on Dudson and Ma'u is a handy addition to the squad for next season but something has to be worked out with the spine. Between Tomkins, Mourgue, Drinkwater, May and Pearce there are plenty of options at 1/6/7 but McIlorum has had about half a dozen good games at the club and Da Costa has yet to steal the jersey from him in the little time he gets.

Da Costa isnt very good thats why. He goes through a lot of work but he has no vision thats why hes not playing much. Hes alright as a backup hooker.

Our spine lacks pace. We have to rebuild as Tomkins, Pearce and McIlorum will be retired soon.