Fri 9th Sept: SL: Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/22 at 19:00

24 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, but players are grown professional adults. 

But rarely behave like them , which is why we need refs , good ones recognise the direction a game is going , and take appropriate action to change it , Child's had the chance to do that but didn't , which just made it worse 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JF1 said:

Whilst no way blaming Mr Child for the mess that was a rugby match last night,he could have helped himself by coming down hard on dissent,especially from such as Garcia.

Why are refs nowadays so reluctant to march teams 10m down the pitch for verbals? They would soon get the message. If not,reach for the back pocket. Think Billy Thompson.

Oh,and definitely. Stop calling the players mate or by their first names. If they want to speak to a player it's by their team  name and number.

As captain Garcia was entitled to ask the questions of the one sided decisions 

3 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Da Costa isnt very good thats why. He goes through a lot of work but he has no vision thats why hes not playing much. Hes alright as a backup hooker.

Our spine lacks pace. We have to rebuild as Tomkins, Pearce and McIlorum will be retired soon.

Yeah I agree Da Costa isn't going to be the answer moving forward, real problem area at 9. 

Think the comment about pace is a fair one and is common across the entire side - Yaha, Langi, Whare, Davies generally aren't the fastest running around either (Davies gets an ok top speed but isn't too quick off the mark). I wonder what the plan is with Tom Johnstone coming next season, he certainly adds that pace element but how do you fit TJ, Yaha, Davies into the backline.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

He was not however entitled to act sarcastically and have a strip when his team were rightly punished. 

He'd have been better served if he'd have calmed his players down , the captain arguing with the ref just feeds his team more indiscipline , as I put , once it was clear Bently was under McIlorums skin McNamara should have pulled him , that was the game lost , it was obvious what was coming 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UTK said:

Yeah I agree Da Costa isn't going to be the answer moving forward, real problem area at 9. 

Think the comment about pace is a fair one and is common across the entire side - Yaha, Langi, Whare, Davies generally aren't the fastest running around either (Davies gets an ok top speed but isn't too quick off the mark). I wonder what the plan is with Tom Johnstone coming next season, he certainly adds that pace element but how do you fit TJ, Yaha, Davies into the backline.

Its easy. McNamara is coach. Yaha wont get game time unless either Johnstone or Davies are injured.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Referee is responsible for applying the laws of the game. Players are grown adults not children who become unruly. Players shouldn't be treated like children they should be expected to control themselves or suffer the consequence of not doing so, not blame the ref/teacher!

Yes and a failure to impose those consequences you mention is something the referee holds responsibility for.

9 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

And yet he’s come out on the winning side and not been penalised.

Last night was the first time I’ve seen Bentley show an element of self control. The Dragons were riling him and whilst he was still aggressive he laughed off a lot of the stuff. Hopefully he’s learning 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

James Child was at his usual standard which is poor but he did not lose us the game.

Napa as a starting prop made the grand total of 5 carries and 26m gained. A disgrace. Hes been hiding all season.

Ref was fine, not sure what else he could have done. 

If your benchmark for refs is zero errors then people will never be satisfied with a refs performance 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Its easy. McNamara is coach. Yaha wont get game time unless either Johnstone or Davies are injured.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see that be the case, dropped after a 20 try season.

Jullien takes his chances 9 times out of 10 but Whitley is straight back in to plod it up once fit, Goudemand left out to start the season in favour of Dudson and Napa.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I switched off before the very end so missed this.

That sort of thing should see Cats - and any club where similar happens - playing games behind closed doors for a spell.

No idea if it was captured on Sky or not.

I wasn't really looking in that direction but out of the corner of my eye saw a large mass of people hurrying towards the tunnel from the field - which was Child surrounded by a platoon of security goons. Then a shower of presumably beer, cups etc came hailing down on the lot of them.

This is what the Leeds players were standing amongst at the end. Stuff was continuing to come down on them at this point so Smith forced them to step away a bit which is why most are stood back in the 10m zone.

20220910-101508.jpg

The Guasch-Laborde side was worse, the touch judge on that side was a brave guy for the last 5 mins as he dodged missiles. Thought Child might stop play but guess he decided just getting it over with was the best course of action.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Last night was the first time I’ve seen Bentley show an element of self control. The Dragons were riling him and whilst he was still aggressive he laughed off a lot of the stuff. Hopefully he’s learning 

Tomkins particularly tried to wind Bentley up. We were really impressed how Bentley not only dealt with that, but reverse uno carded it onto McIlorum and a few others.

Gives as good as he gets. Seems Smith is getting through to him a bit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M j M said:

No idea if it was captured on Sky or not.

I wasn't really looking in that direction but out of the corner of my eye saw a large mass of people hurrying towards the tunnel from the field - which was Child surrounded by a platoon of security goons. Then a shower of presumably beer, cups etc came hailing down on the lot of them.

This is what the Leeds players were standing amongst at the end. Stuff was continuing to come down on them at this point so Smith forced them to step away a bit which is why most are stood back in the 10m zone.

20220910-101508.jpg

The Guasch-Laborde side was worse, the touch judge on that side was a brave guy for the last 5 mins as he dodged missiles. Thought Child might stop play but guess he decided just getting it over with was the best course of action.

It was visible on Sky.

The red sticks(?) were another frequently thrown object. Only got one look on the wide angle but what looked like a red flare/smoke canister was on the pitch at roughly the halfway line on the side furthest from the camera.

• Like 1

Not that the Leeds fans were perfect. One moron spent a fair chunk of the game wandering around drunkenly winding up the home fans and got bundled out half way through the second half by four stewards.

A couple of other drunken groups also made me a little embarrassed to be British and a Loiner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The red sticks(?) were another frequently thrown object. 

Yeah these things or similar were what then were handing out. Looks like you could get real purchase on these so they were a popular choice of missile.

41UgPUWvaxL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weddecor-Fluorescent-Glowing-Graduation-Camping/dp/B08HRXZKSV

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Yeah these things or similar were what then were handing out. Looks like you could get real purchase on these so they were a popular choice of missile.

41UgPUWvaxL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weddecor-Fluorescent-Glowing-Graduation-Camping/dp/B08HRXZKSV

Ah yeah they have a heavy end that makes it pretty good for launching.

The result and Catalan dragons mental collapse was definitely not the refs fault, but I've always thought Childs is a poor ref as far too often games he's "controlling" fall apart, he just doesn't have the authority or gravitas and players definitely take advantage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1