Fri 9th Sept: SL: Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/22 at 19:00

So glad we've gone from Leeds being persecuted by the ref's and disciplinary to Leeds getting everything in just 80 minutes.

And all for a seat on a plane.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Ant said:

Ref kept warning one side and waving play on to the other. No wonder they lost their temper 

Yes, Child needed to keep control of that. The players were boiling over. I think the cards were probably the right calls, but he shouldn't have let the control slide.

It was a very frustrating and unappealing game to watch.

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Like I said this Catalans team bears no semblance to Wane’s Wigan team.

maybe-just-a-little-teeny-tiny-bit-small-amount.gif.bffe9423f4fbcb9b3bc2c3f6e07727fa.gif

The difference of course is that McIlorum would take out whoever Wane told him to take out, not just smack anyone he had beef with.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Do we still see Samkins as a shoo-in for England ? Im not sure nowadays

Based upon performances this season he shouldn't be anywhere near. Lost a yard of pace, failing to engage the line and even nervous under the high ball. It's a shame because he was outstanding last season.

Hopefully he has just been conserving himself knowing the world cup is in view as there is no way that Wane does not pick him. So long as tonight was enough to put the nail in McIlorum's world cup coffin I'll be content.

• Like 1

Just now, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

What is James child actually meant to do? 

If he had sin binned more early everyone would say its not RL anymore and game gone soft. 

You cannot control ill discipline, and catalans players deservedly disciplined 

After the Prior incident he simply explained there was no issue and play on.  The problem is that the players had all kicked off again and stopped the game for a few minutes.  He ignored that and didn't even mention it.  He needed to be firmer and put team warnings in place. 

I like Child and he does a good job of remaining calm,  but I dont think his manner suited the situation tonight. 

And I'd like to add,  I'm not a critic of refs,  it's absolutely the players who deserve the stick. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Based upon performances this season he shouldn't be anywhere near. Lost a yard of pace, failing to engage the line and even nervous under the high ball. It's a shame because he was outstanding last season.

Hopefully he has just been conserving himself knowing the world cup is in view as there is no way that Wane does not pick him. So long as tonight was enough to put the nail in McIlorum's world cup coffin I'll be content.

Got to be honest and say tonight is the first time I’m having my doubts. Class is permanent as they say but age catches up with everybody. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

maybe-just-a-little-teeny-tiny-bit-small-amount.gif.bffe9423f4fbcb9b3bc2c3f6e07727fa.gif

The difference of course is that McIlorum would take out who Wane told him to take out, not just smacking anyone he had beef with.

When it comes to discussing Wigan you’ve proved consistently that your opinion has zero relevance.

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

Got to be honest and say tonight is the first time I’m having my doubts. Class is permanent as they say but age catches up with everybody though and he cannot be England's fullback if we wish to be competitive. 

It's no reflection on his career as a whole; he's been one of the outstanding English players of this century. Time catches up with everyone though and 

7 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I’d love to think Sky putting Leeds vs Wigan on from Magic in 2014 straight after that game is off the cuff sh*thousery! Tonight reminded me of that game. 

Talk to them authoritatively and tell them firmly that it stops. It was a situation where he gradually lost control and respect.

It wasn't so much decisions but his demeanour and body language that allowed the game to degenerate.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was thinking that myself.

Might have worked- danger is that if that set a precedent then 10 would have joined after 

Also he did bin a catalans player, but it had no impact on mcillorum, dudson or pearce again who followed

It's not good. Players now milking incidents/ looking to injure too often. It's got to change. 

• Like 1

Horrible game played by 2 horrible teams with some absolute grubs between them, and the grubs won.

Leeds deserved it but as others have said, they knew which buttons to press to cause maximum damage to Catalans ill discipline, that's not to say Leeds weren't I'll disciplined they just didn't get caught as much.

I hope the Leeds fans whining about referee's having it in for them will stop now.

Too much Pißing about and playacting, not enough quality, exciting rugby league on show.

Hopefully tomorrow's game is everything tonight wasn't, an exciting, action packed home win 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Its good this . Its good sport is on , football have got it wrong i think . People can come show respect collectively and openly and play the games

Yes exactly. I thought the programme captured the mood perfectly. The lack of music and the more sombre feel showed great respect to the Queen. 

It was a great opportunity for the game to reflect our loss as fans and I thought it was produced perfectly. 

The end with the picture of the Queen was very poignant.

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Not at fullback he can probably still do a job as a 6. 

I remember saying a few weeks ago about Welsby at 1 and Tomkins in the halfs. Then Welsby had a mare against Wigan which made me think again! I'm now back to thinking thats the better option again. 

• Like 1