Sat 10th Sept: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Salford Red Devils KO 13:00 (Sky & Channel 4)

Who will win?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/09/22 at 12:00

8 hours ago, daz39 said:

Well they have left a club with lesser crowds and even lesser of a history to join us so who knows, just as no-one knows how much those 2 players are on, they certainly don't give the club a 'big spenders' tag.

Well Daz, I'm really disappointed in you with that remark about history, that is a really cheap shot and not worthy of a club like yours in the town where tha greatest game began.  Now go and stand in the naughty corner and think about what you said.

• Like 1

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

• ckn pinned this topic

2 hours ago, Pete Grady said:

Well Daz, I'm really disappointed in you with that remark about history, that is a really cheap shot and not worthy of a club like yours in the town where tha greatest game began.  Now go and stand in the naughty corner and think about what you said.

A Salford fan made the comment about our lack of crowds and history, maybe people need to actually educate themselves 1st before making ridiculous statements, no doubt it will now be brushed off as a joke or sarcasm.

A Wigan or Saints fans yes but Salford??

On 08/09/2022 at 09:42, daz39 said:

A Salford fan made the comment about our lack of crowds and history, maybe people need to actually educate themselves 1st before making ridiculous statements, no doubt it will now be brushed off as a joke or sarcasm.

A Wigan or Saints fans yes but Salford??

Sorry didn't realise I'd cause so much commotion with my previous comment. It wasn't actually a dig, more an observation.

If we take Hastings for example, most Salford fans (whilst disappointed) understood him going to Wigan as he went to a club that challenges for honours almost on an annual basis. He would be playing in front of crowds 2x/3x bigger than at the AJ Bell and, with Wigan being the self-proclaimed "biggest club in the world"😉, he was putting himself in the shop window for what he really wanted, a gig back in Aus.

Tui/Yates etc was different. Whilst we get that working with Watson (a top coach) would be a draw, most Salford fans would consider Hudds a sideways move based on their slightly higher crowds and lack of any sort of silverware for decades (like us). Let's not kid ourselves, they will be on far higher wages than at Salford (which is fair enough if you can pay it) so I think it's fair to say that you'll be spending far more on your squad than we have on ours. Davy obviously has the money to fund a concerted push to make you into an established top 4 team.

The small fact that Watson also tried to tempt a number of other current Salford players to move with him still rankles our fanbase as he pretty much did what he's accused other teams of doing to our players in the past.

Anyway, I'm under no illusions that we won't agree on this one and I'm sure it'd be the same conversation if it was any other set of Hudds-Salford fans having the discussion!😁

So back to the game.... let's hope it goes ahead. Cancelling would prove a logistical nightmare and I honestly can't see any logic in that apart from following some outdated protocol written 50+ years ago.

I think it's unlikely we'll bring more than 2500 but as always we'll be a rowdy bunch (pub breakfast and morning drinking will assist with that🍺) so we'll do everything we can to make it feel like a home game.👹👹👹

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Sorry didn't realise I'd cause so much commotion with my previous comment. It wasn't actually a dig, more an observation.

If we take Hastings for example, most Salford fans (whilst disappointed) understood him going to Wigan as he went to a club that challenges for honours almost on an annual basis. He would be playing in front of crowds 2x/3x bigger than at the AJ Bell and, with Wigan being the self-proclaimed "biggest club in the world"😉, he was putting himself in the shop window for what he really wanted, a gig back in Aus.

Tui/Yates etc was different. Whilst we get that working with Watson (a top coach) would be a draw, most Salford fans would consider Hudds a sideways move based on their slightly higher crowds and lack of any sort of silverware for decades (like us). Let's not kid ourselves, they will be on far higher wages than at Salford (which is fair enough if you can pay it) so I think it's fair to say that you'll be spending far more on your squad than we have on ours. Davy obviously has the money to fund a concerted push to make you into an established top 4 team.

The small fact that Watson also tried to tempt a number of other current Salford players to move with him still rankles our fanbase as he pretty much did what he's accused other teams of doing to our players in the past.

Anyway, I'm under no illusions that we won't agree on this one and I'm sure it'd be the same conversation if it was any other set of Hudds-Salford fans having the discussion!😁

So back to the game.... let's hope it goes ahead. Cancelling would prove a logistical nightmare and I honestly can't see any logic in that apart from following some outdated protocol written 50+ years ago.

I think it's unlikely we'll bring more than 2500 but as always we'll be a rowdy bunch (pub breakfast and morning drinking will assist with that🍺) so we'll do everything we can to make it feel like a home game.👹👹👹

If there's 2,500 of you it will be just like a home match for you 😉

Understand your obvservation but it came across as many Giants bashing posts do on here - we have no crowds, no history etc, maybe my eye rolling response to it came out too quickly especially from a supporter of a club who fall way behind us on both.

Onto the game, hope you're not too rowdy, your lot always make it hard work for our stewards/security over here and not in a fun way.

As for the players, they both jumped at the chance to work under Watson again and play for Huddersfield and have both said before that the whole setup here is miles away from what it was at Salford, Salford fans make out we signed them reluctantly and they didn't want to leave Salford, they were both more than happy to do that going by conversations i've had and heard with them.

Watson left Salford for a better club with more 'tools to work with', some players did too, Salford fans need to get over this and move on and concentrate their support on the excellent team and coach they currrently have who, like Watson's old team are going extremely well and accept it is history, even our fans have forgotten what Tony Smith did to us...

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

Understand your obvservation but it came across as many Giants bashing posts do on here - we have no crowds, no history etc, maybe my eye rolling response to it came out too quickly especially from a supporter of a club who fall way behind us on both.

Onto the game, hope you're not too rowdy, your lot always make it hard work for our stewards/security over here and not in a fun way.

As for the players, they both jumped at the chance to work under Watson again and play for Huddersfield and have both said before that the whole setup here is miles away from what it was at Salford, Salford fans make out we signed them reluctantly and they didn't want to leave Salford, they were both more than happy to do that going by conversations i've had and heard with them.

Watson left Salford for a better club with more 'tools to work with', some players did too, Salford fans need to get over this and move on and concentrate their support on the excellent team and coach they currrently have who, like Watson's old team are going extremely well and accept it is history, even our fans have forgotten what Tony Smith did to us...

Excellent work...

"Better club" 😂😂😂

"Salford fans made out we signed them reluctantly" - Who said that?😂 We know they were happy to go with Watson and get a pay rise. You're making that up fella.

F me.... the delusions of grandeur are strong in this one.🤦‍♂️

I'm sure your stewards will be just fine btw despite our Millwall-esque fan base.🤞

PS. We're more than behind our current regime thanks fella and you'll witness that again if the game goes ahead tomorrow.👍

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Excellent work...

"Better club" 😂😂😂

"Salford fans made out we signed them reluctantly" - Who said that?😂 We know they were happy to go with Watson and get a pay rise. You're making that up fella.

F me.... the delusions of grandeur are strong in this one.🤦‍♂️

I'm sure your stewards will be just fine btw despite our Millwall-esque fan base.🤞

Can’t say I have noticed this from Salford fans, always found them noisy and vocal in support of their team nothing more probably the noisiest per fan and if they could expand that loyal fan base they would create good atmosphere at most grounds. Good luck too both sides hopefully either of these sides or Catalans win the comp. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Practice what you preach pal, all I hear from Giants fans on here obsessed with Aiden Sezer.

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

It's just yet another stick or excuse to bash Huddersfield, they can't lay into us because of our league position, they've got bored of slagging off our empty stadium and loyal supporters.

Now it's our owner, his money, our coach and players, Yadda Yadda yap yap...

I don't mind Salford and their many decent fans but they have a weird, unhealthy obsession with Ian Watson and their ex players' careers.

I'm sure something else will come up soon in order to keep the Huddersfield bashing going.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Practice what you preach pal, all I hear from Giants fans on here obsessed with Aiden Sezer.

I would say in an amusing way rather than an anger that he chose to leave us.

I know I mock him and his reason for leaving the Giants as do many others but I'm not angry or upset about it like some Salford fans seem to be.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2022 at 21:45, WSRD said:

For us it will have to be Sky, no Channel 4 where we are.

Of course, if you watch it via All4, then you will be registered as a viewer, which is good for stats.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 minutes ago, meast said:

It's just yet another stick or excuse to bash Huddersfield, they can't lay into us because of our league position, they've got bored of slagging off our empty stadium and loyal supporters.

Now it's our owner, his money, our coach and players, Yadda Yadda yap yap...

I don't mind Salford and their many decent fans but they have a weird, unhealthy obsession with Ian Watson and their ex players' careers.

I'm sure something else will come up soon in order to keep the Huddersfield bashing going.

I think yer man is a true talent and will be successful. I don't wish myself to deny him that.

The beef is that he stalked his reputation on being a Salford (actually Swinton or erm west Manchester) boy and left his "home" club in the manner he did. 

One day very publically pledging his loyalty and within hours being appointed at Huddersfield.

It would never happily wash with many a supporter.

You know how it is for some people, the idea of sporting loyalty and all. Not always matched up in reality when a job is always a job. A wage is a wage.

Anyway lets hope the game is on tomorrow.

All I hope is a safe crossing, our boys to give 110% and no dodgy stupid referring decisions, please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Difference is we aren't bitter about him leaving, he was a leech and we were all glad to see the back of him, you won't find anyone connected to our club who are or were angry or upset about him leaving.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Of course, if you watch it via All4, then you will be registered as a viewer, which is good for stats.

What I should  have said is that we are abroad, no Channel 4 anywhere, but a bar close by with Sky.

Salford have been in superb form the last few weeks, the Giants form has been patchy, but we're at home and naming as strong a squad as we can - I wonder if part of our form has been player rotation.

Anyway, discipline and defence will see us smother Salford who will try to go round us from kick off. Control the middle, let the forwards grind them down and we'll have enough polish to win it.

That steel that took us to the Cup Final will be important.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

I think yer man is a true talent and will be successful. I don't wish myself to deny him that.

The beef is that he stalked his reputation on being a Salford (actually Swinton or erm west Manchester) boy and left his "home" club in the manner he did. 

One day very publically pledging his loyalty and within hours being appointed at Huddersfield.

It would never happily wash with many a supporter.

You know how it is for some people, the idea of sporting loyalty and all. Not always matched up in reality when a job is always a job. A wage is a wage.

Anyway lets hope the game is on tomorrow.

All I hope is a safe crossing, our boys to give 110% and no dodgy stupid referring decisions, please.

I get that, but it was 2.5 years ago, Salford have moved on and are in a good place, Salford fans should forget Watson and get behind their own team.

As I said, I have absolutely no beef with Salford or their fans, I actually wish them well apart from when they play us but the whole anger over Watson can't be good.

42 minutes ago, Ant said:

Salford have been in superb form the last few weeks, the Giants form has been patchy, but we're at home and naming as strong a squad as we can - I wonder if part of our form has been player rotation.

Anyway, discipline and defence will see us smother Salford who will try to go round us from kick off. Control the middle, let the forwards grind them down and we'll have enough polish to win it.

That steel that took us to the Cup Final will be important.

We said that a few weeks ago in Barton 😂

Easier said than done!

• Like 1