Sat 10th Sept: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Salford Red Devils KO 13:00 (Sky & Channel 4)

Who will win?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/09/22 at 12:00

34 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Salford are certainly playing some good RL at the moment but not sure they're "miles ahead of the rest".

I would love to see your team go on and win it, but with Saints and Wigan potential successive opponents I think you're being rather a bit optimistic.

I'd fancy you'd have the beating of Leeds though.

I'll put it another way, for return on investment, efficiency on field and entertainment value, Salford are in a different league.

• Like 1

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

36 minutes ago, Pete Grady said:

Harrodsfield with Watson are one dimensional. 

Whilst King, Blease and not least, Paul Rowley have raised the bar in what can be achieved by promoting the ball with confidence and running a club on a shoestring.

I feel a big change has been made in the way The Greatest Game is played and my beloved Salford are miles ahead of the rest.

Come on Pete let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've never been an arrogant bunch (let's be honest when have we ever had the chance?!😂). I keep telling our fans, one game at a time. On form we've given ourselves a shot and our resurgence has happened to coincide with some of the "big clubs" going through a bit of a malaise/rebuild/injury crisis or whatever you want to call it.

Croft is a massive loss so we may have to alter the game plan a bit next week but Atkin will do a job and the rest of the squad have been outstanding.

One game at a time....🤞

• Like 2

On 08/09/2022 at 08:56, Pete Grady said:

Hands up all those who think that this picture looks like Chris Hill in his Harrodsfield shirt.burger-king-original.jpg.c6200a879c3f3d8eb3bc687d87857b30.jpg

I'll ask again, who doesn't think that this is not Chris Hill?

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

44 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Unfortunately no lottery numbers, I'm afraid, captain hindsight. Maybe you can tell us the numbers after they've been drawn, though?

Joking aside, excellent from the Red Devils. Would love them to do saints

I was one of the Salford "voters" and I was confident we'd get the job done. So I guess that counts as a prediction right?😁 Captain hindsight sounds good though, I'll take it!

I'm with you on wanting them to do Saints btw.... I think it's 40 years since Salford won away at our semi-Scouse friends... it's long overdue!!!

It might be heretical to say this, but I'm starting to wonder if perhaps Watto isn't  all he's cracked up to be.

During one of the matches in lockdown, when Watto and Paul Rowley were at Salford, one of the commentators offered up the little nugget that Salford were the Super League team that passed the ball the least, but were the team whose passing game was most effective. It's starting to look like the first part of that was down to Ian Watson, and the second part down to Paul Rowley. Huddersfield had a lot of possession and position, particularly in the third quarter, but looked like they didn't have a single, coherent attacking move in them. It was Robotball vs Rowleyball.

5 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Well done to Salford and it looked like an excellent turn out from their fans.

Interested to know if the cancellation of the football today increased their following?

Doubt it tbh. Nearly all the tickets were sold before the Queen passed and there may have been a few walk ups today but I'm not sure it was easy to pay on the gate.

You'd be talking dozens rather than 100's.

The thing with Salford is we have a reasonably sized bunch of "casual" fans. The ones who love a p*ss up and have enough interest in rugby to mix the 2. They're nowhere near die-hards but they'll show up for a play-off, cup semi etc.

I'll tell you what - this Salford side are up there as good and as entertaining as any team i've seen in 35 years, they are exactly the sort of side and the brand of Rugby i want to see be crowned champions, they are a joy to watch despite twice in recent weeks doing that to us!!

We were pathetic today, absolutely pathetic, we could have had 20 men on the field and still wouldn't have looked like scoring out there.

Awful, slow, 1 man rugby or passing to the next guy in the line who were all stood still, missed tackles, lazy efforts, ill discipline, there was no graft, no urgency, seemingly no will to fight back.

We never once ran fast like they did, we ambled/jogged forward with the ball, we didn't run through tacklers like they did, we didn't offload like they did in fact we did nothing, zilch all game.

I am so disappointed that a season that offered hope to us Fartowners fizzled out with a nilling at home where we have been so dominant all year.

Salford ran hard, fast and with purpose, they tore holes in our usual solid middle time and again and threw the ball around and had us on the back foot all afternoon, their support was terrific and noisy, where the hell do they all go on a home matchday though?.

They and Rowley deserve every accolade they get between now and the end of the season, they are a superb team.

Congratulations and good luck to them, back to the drawing board for us!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Doubt it tbh. Nearly all the tickets were sold before the Queen passed and there may have been a few walk ups today but I'm not sure it was easy to pay on the gate.

You'd be talking dozens rather than 100's.

The thing with Salford is we have a reasonably sized bunch of "casual" fans. The ones who love a p*ss up and have enough interest in rugby to mix the 2. They're nowhere near die-hards but they'll show up for a play-off, cup semi etc.

Fair point, you've usually turned up at Widnes in decent numbers to be fair. Best of luck next week.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Catalan filled a stadium for their playoff game and Toulouse averaged 200 less than Giants despite being relegated weeks ago , bottom of the league and their derby game after already being relegated, on Thursday. Whilst Huddersfield came third, future of the sport is not what Ken Davy wants. 

Will you ever make a post that doesn't involve mentioning crowds? can't you comment on the on field action sometime?

jesus, you're tedious !

• Like 2

Very much agree with what Daz said, but anyone who thinks the Giants are dull and predictable needs to take their head out their backside, and maybe stop listening to abysmal commentary teams. 

Awful today, poor for the last few weeks but 4th best attack in the league, try scorers all over the park and some absolute belters scored this season 

Awful end to a bloody great season 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ant said:

Very much agree with what Daz said, but anyone who thinks the Giants are dull and predictable needs to take their head out their backside, and maybe stop listening to abysmal commentary teams. 

Awful today, poor for the last few weeks but 4th best attack in the league, try scorers all over the park and some absolute belters scored this season 

Awful end to a 

You can kiss my backside if you want Ant,  afterall winners can laff and loses can please their bl**dy selves!

40 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I'll tell you what - this Salford side are up there as good and as entertaining as any team i've seen in 35 years, they are exactly the sort of side and the brand of Rugby i want to see be crowned champions, they are a joy to watch despite twice in recent weeks doing that to us!!

We were pathetic today, absolutely pathetic, we could have had 20 men on the field and still wouldn't have looked like scoring out there.

Awful, slow, 1 man rugby or passing to the next guy in the line who were all stood still, missed tackles, lazy efforts, ill discipline, there was no graft, no urgency, seemingly no will to fight back.

We never once ran fast like they did, we ambled/jogged forward with the ball, we didn't run through tacklers like they did, we didn't offload like they did in fact we did nothing, zilch all game.

I am so disappointed that a season that offered hope to us Fartowners fizzled out with a nilling at home where we have been so dominant all year.

Salford ran hard, fast and with purpose, they tore holes in our usual solid middle time and again and threw the ball around and had us on the back foot all afternoon, their support was terrific and noisy, where the hell do they all go on a home matchday though?.

They and Rowley deserve every accolade they get between now and the end of the season, they are a superb team.

Congratulations and good luck to them, back to the drawing board for us!

Great post, Daz. Can't understand why we don't get more fans at home. But we have terrific away support. Old Trafford will be buzzing if we get there.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ant said:

Awful end to a bloody great season 

4th best attack in the league but in terms of converting territory/possession to points, far worse than that. 

2 hours ago, Pete Grady said:

I'll ask again, who doesn't think that this is not Chris Hill?

Check out those double negatives old lad.

Did you say who thinks this is Chris Hill? If so, then not me - too much upstairs.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, DG70 said:

Salfotd are like a well oiled machine, despite Croft missing the 2nd half they didnt miss him, defence wins matches, can see maybe Escare coming in for him at saints.

I hope not, he was awful last week against Warrington. Rather see Chris Atkin play there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thats a stretch, Giants are a strong team and solid at grounding out results, cup semi where they dismantled KR . Just didnt seem to know how to chase a game.

With the style of football they play it's difficult for them to play catch up football. There is very little flair in there play it's all about grinding the opposition down and if they doesn't work they don't appear to have a plan B.

2 hours ago, Pete Grady said:

You can kiss my backside if you want Ant,  afterall winners can laff and loses can please their bl**dy selves!

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Check out those double negatives old lad.

Did you say who thinks this is Chris Hill? If so, then not me - too much upstairs.

Soz Jon xx