Sat 10th Sept: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Salford Red Devils KO 13:00 (Sky & Channel 4)

Who will win?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/09/22 at 12:00

Daz and Meast have said all that needs to be said about Huddersfield, today and the season. I feel for their fans and club. They've had numerous coaches, and players of course, whilst I've been over here, so I'm not sure how they go about fixing anything. I've seen them play champagne rugby league, I've seen them play at their worst, under every coach and whichever players. I hope one day they don't have such an up and down season, and their loyal fans and Ken Davy etc get to celebrate in style.

Salford were on fire today and I hope like others they go even further - good luck. I have good friends at both clubs but my support today was for Salford being a Lancashire lass. I have to say that I've always found Huddersfield fans to be great people, they know their rugby and they're great sports, but just like the team, they never seem 100% up for it, in an already defeated before kick off kind of way. And after the match, it's an ah well, that was typical, on we go attitude. Maybe it's me, but I don't see the drive to win. Or maybe it's the best approach, don't get too giddy, don't be rude to opposition, mature.....I don't know... I'm rambling now and it is 2:20 am, so I'll leave it there.

• Like 2

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

2 minutes ago, amm said:

Daz and Meast have said all that needs to be said about Huddersfield, today and the season. I feel for their fans and club. They've had numerous coaches, and players of course, whilst I've been over here, so I'm not sure how they go about fixing anything. I've seen them play champagne rugby league, I've seen them play at their worst, under every coach and whichever players. I hope one day they don't have such an up and down season, and their loyal fans and Ken Davy etc get to celebrate in style.

Salford were on fire today and I hope like others they go even further - good luck. I have good friends at both clubs but my support today was for Salford being a Lancashire lass. I have to say that I've always found Huddersfield fans to be great people, they know their rugby and they're great sports, but just like the team, they never seem 100% up for it, in an already defeated before kick off kind of way. And after the match, it's an ah well, that was typical, on we go attitude. Maybe it's me, but I don't see the drive to win. Or maybe it's the best approach, don't get too giddy, don't be rude to opposition, mature.....I don't know... I'm rambling now and it is 2:20 am, so I'll leave it there.

I agree with you. I think all the players just had a bad game collectively. 

Overall they finished third and reached the challenge cup final. This shows they were consistently outstanding over a long period.

If I had to be critical I think they lacked pace in the backs today.

I think they deserve to be judged by the season as a whole as opposed to one game. 

• Like 2

Suggestions that Premier League football matches could face disruption next weekend due to the need to focus the country’s policing on the upcoming state funeral.

If this does happen then St Helens vs Salford next week could get a bigger push by the broadcasters than normal reaching a deserved wider audience.

As you all know, the storylines are great with a hurting champion side chasing history against the new pretenders playing with much elan and maybe with one eye on revenge too.

Usually these are the ingredients for a great game.

Whatever the outcome, the chance to face the household name of Wigan and the former gold standard (plus arch-rivals of the champs St Helens), or Leeds, biggest club in UK rugby league by some measures and home of the new enthusiastic broadcaster in C4.

We talk about the media narrative and the excitement other sports generate.  It is all there for us this year (although admittedly the sad circumstances aren’t ones you’d wish for).  A chance to really showcase the sport.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thats a stretch, Giants are a strong team and solid at grounding out results, cup semi where they dismantled KR . Just didnt seem to know how to chase a game.

My point exactly. Croft would have continued to run the ragged and as they got more tired the Red Devils would have run in more points

• Like 1

7 hours ago, V02 said:

Yeah you're right, I thought he was at Saints longer than he was (though he did win a CC there). 

I think Fages will look solid for France, I think it's rare he plays badly. He's just almost always going to be a 6-7/10 because of his limitations.

He did win the cup at Saints. 

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Your draughtsman does not draw as well as a lot of people thinks he does, stereo type play that a lot of opposition coaches have commented on, that is the reason for your end of season form, club's have learned how to play you 

Our end of season form has seen us pick up wins, the Cup final defeat was a huge mental blow to us as a team and club, i don't think we've played well or recovered from that at all this year, plus we were beaten by a far better side on the day, i doubt any Fartowner will argue against that, i was praising Salford and being critical of my own team.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Our end of season form has seen us pick up wins, the Cup final defeat was a huge mental blow to us as a team and club, i don't think we've played well or recovered from that at all this year, plus we were beaten by a far better side on the day, i doubt any Fartowner will argue against that, i was praising Salford and being critical of my own team.

Yes I know you were and very commendable for doing so, I was pointing out that I do not think that your coach is as good as a lot of people believe him to be, he was very ably assisted by Paul Rowley at Salford.

Watson had been the Salford coach for 3 or 4 years and they had just kept there head above the relegation tide mark, Rowley joins them and their whole style of football changed was that just a coincidence? Being a Leigh fan and witnessing first hand how Leigh under Rowley played the game I would say not, this present Salford team are playing the same way as Leigh in '14 and '15 did is that a coincidence?

And just to cap off if you remember the Salford team and style of football that got them to the GF and CC final and in the manner and type of football they played is that more the style of the present Huddersfield way or Salford way? 

All in my opinion of course.

13 hours ago, Damien said:

Winning Grand finals in a champion team proves nothing.

I think the opposite, I think he gets hyped up because he is French. Bosc was similar.

I don't see your comparison with Field and French at all.

We just disagree on our opinions of him as a player. It's no big deal.

I have watched Huddersfield a few times this season as a complete neutral observer and he has impressed me - not a superstar but a really important component of the team. Most tellingly, in all of those games that I watched (all of which they won) the Huddersfield pack was dominant. In my experience of watching RL there are very few instances that I can recall where a half back shone behind a beaten pack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just watching the game back now on C4.... brilliant from Hicks when Brierley is about to get sin-binned and calls the captain's over. Greenwood walks over and Hicks says "go away mate" not realising that Greenwood was the captain.😂 (TBH I thought it odd at the time as well as said to my mate "why's Greenwood getting involved?").

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I have watched Huddersfield a few times this season as a complete neutral observer and he has impressed me - not a superstar but a really important component of the team. Most tellingly, in all of those games that I watched (all of which they won) the Huddersfield pack was dominant. In my experience of watching RL there are very few instances that I can recall where a half back shone behind a beaten pack.

Thanks. 

He tried yesterday but couldn't do much as you say behind a pack. 

Last four years he has finished 1st, 1st, 1st and 3rd. 

Scrum half is such a key position that no way could an average player achieve this. 

Sneyd is another player who was under appreciated but I always thought he was exceptional also.

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

No in your original post you said they would be in a relegation struggle, I am saying they certainly won’t be. 

Although I cant see them coming 3rd the way Leeds are going and if Tony Smith can revive Hull 

I maintain that IF the Giants continue to play 5 drives and kick next season without any REAL PACE in the outside backs they will be in a relegation struggle.

Some different tactics are needed for next season and certainly some pacey outside backs

6 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

I love Theo Fages but yesterday reminded me of how much we struggled at times with him at 7 for saints and how much more rugby we played when Dodd came in.

The problem is he hasn't played much this season so you aren't playing much more rugby with him. 

I know he is injured but physicality and being able to play week in week out are just as important. 

Mock I hope. Bit with even the last ten minutes to go, I and my mates would not be the only Reds thinking and expecting a sudden Huddersfield fight back.

Nevertheless having expected a close game, pretty much from the fifth minutes onwards, I did not worry, the result did not seem in doubt. It was a breeze born on a cloud that gracefully slide across in style.

I forgot how much I like Huddersfield as this was the first occasion I had seen it in the daytime on a nice day for some time. In one of the many multiverses is a version of me, typing out my woes from defeat from the kitchen of my yorkstone cottage overlooking Castle Hill.

Salford's defence was resolute. The attack via the Golden spine was relentless. Huddersfield like a many a side this season, seemed overwhelmed and quickly frustrated. Russell did not need to slide into Croft did he. but he did.

This is a tremendous season for us. It places optimism in our hearts. It feel remarkable. Even when faced with the reality of Rowleyball smashing teams week after week, it still feels astonishing.

What happens next is unpredictable. Saints is the exact place for a moment of history or a resounding battering.

But I will say this again. 

There is no pressure on Salford.

All the pressure is on St Helen's.

Enjoy. I am. 🤟😃✌️

• Like 3

Question.

I have a friend who has had a stroke, has mobility issues and uses a stick to get about. They can not stand for a match.

Away allocation at St Helen's is standing. That is ruled out. 

They wants to be with fellow Reds or beside them.

What can they do and how?

Please advise RL family.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

11 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Question.

I have a friend who has had a stroke, has mobility issues and uses a stick to get about. They can not stand for a match.

Away allocation at St Helen's is standing. That is ruled out. 

They wants to be with fellow Reds or beside them.

What can they do and how?

Please advise RL family.

I’m sure a section of seating is given too away fans at Saints if needed. 

• Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 23:36, Josef K said:

I think Salford will beat Saints next Saturday. If Percy, Hopoate, Mata’utia do play they’ll not be match fit, but if they don’t play them then i fear Davies & Matautia will be playing out wide which doesn’t fill me up with much hope because  we lack pace. As for kicks in general play that is another area were we will struggle, Saints kicking game is awful.
It should be an exciting game and im looking forward to it. If we win I’ll be over the moon, if we lose i will be devastated, but with Salford being the most entertaining side too watch in 2022 id like like to see them lift the GF. 

Watching that game Hudds played like Saints did against Salford last month, their line speed in defence was awful. Time after time they just sat back waiting to see what Salford would do with the ball which gave them space to play how they wanted.

The offloading & throwing the ball about works when you get that much space so the key for Saints is to get back to where they've been in other games this year with a quick defensive line that cuts off Salford's options for going wide at every opportunity.

If Saints get their defensive line speed right then I think they'll smother Salford and force them up the middle, where Saints are definately the more dominant team. If they let Salford play then I do think they could find big gaps up the middle as they did against Hudds.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Personally I think Watson is judged harshly. He had an aim this season and it was to get to the playoffs and improve on last year. No one can say he hasn't done that. Next year will most likely see a different type of play from Huddersfield. This is why I think he deserves a coaching mention. It takes time to rebuild from scratch something Wigan and Saints don't do.

Still bitter he walked away but that isn't clouding my judgement just enhances the sweetness of the win.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Niels said:

The problem is he hasn't played much this season so you aren't playing much more rugby with him. 

I know he is injured but physicality and being able to play week in week out are just as important. 

He’s had one injury to his achilles.  Before that he was playing hooker for us, he’s a tough kid. 

Oh and guess what big softy picked up a season ending injury in the middle of a cup final to give Dodd his chance?

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Personally I think Watson is judged harshly. He had an aim this season and it was to get to the playoffs and improve on last year. No one can say he hasn't done that. Next year will most likely see a different type of play from Huddersfield. This is why I think he deserves a coaching mention. It takes time to rebuild from scratch something Wigan and Saints don't do.

Still bitter he walked away but that isn't clouding my judgement just enhances the sweetness of the win.

Even harder to rebuild on a much larger scale when you've got no cash and your best players are continually cherry picked RW!😁

My heart bleeds for him.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Even harder to rebuild on a much larger scale when you've got no cash and your best players are continually cherry picked RW!😁

My heart bleeds for him.😉

It is, which is why Rowley deserved the plaudits turning round the mess Marshall left.

Top Teams have all the structures in place and are adapting a team to play their way, teams like Huddersfield, Wakefield and us are building from a standing start. It may be exactly what Smith has to do at Hull too.

One final point on Saturday's game before attention turns to Saints...😁

Got to say Hicks had a really good game. Having watched the game back via various outlets (C4, Sky, BBC highlights) he didn't get any of the big calls wrong at all. Brierley fully deserved his yellow and he dealt with any of the silly stuff (Hill/Ormondroyd) sensibly.

Like the way he reprimanded Burgess as well for "doing a Myler" in the 2nd half and putting himself in a dangerous position. Pretty much told him to stop being an idiot or he'd hurt himself.👍

I guess the players generally helped him by not acting like Leeds & Catalans on Friday but fair play for a good, solid performance anyway.👏

• Like 2