Sun 11th Sept: The Betfred League One Match Thread

1 hour ago, FearNothing said:

Us v ornets, Donny at swinton

And as I said during the game, losing might have not been such a bad thing, Rochdale at home looks a lot better than Swinton away. Interestingly, if we beat Rochdale and Donny loses at Swinton we'll play each other again at the CSM (as apparently Zipworld is now called) in two weeks' time. Provided we play next week as we did in the second half today this will probably happen!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

And as I said during the game, losing might have not been such a bad thing, Rochdale at home looks a lot better than Swinton away. Interestingly, if we beat Rochdale and Donny loses at Swinton we'll play each other again at the CSM (as apparently Zipworld is now called) in two weeks' time. Provided we play next week as we did in the second half today this will probably happen!

I quite fancy Swinton away tbh. Holds no fear. Win that and it's NW, Swinton or Rochdale at Keepmoat. Fancy it?

Honestly wouldn't bet against us against Swinton. We're well capable. Our PNG lads are unstoppable. Wait until Boas starts actually playing at full stretch. Probably the best halves in the league in Johnston and Robinson, one great runner, one great kicker. I'll cover the forwards later 

Edited by Rene_Artois

2 hours ago, FearNothing said:

The L1 playoff structure is way overdone...I would suggest changing it, but might not be worth it until we know what the 2024 proposals look like...

You're right but, despite never having my team participate, I do find it a thrilling part of the season. They're usually cracking games. 

14 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

I quite fancy Swinton away tbh. Holds no fear. Win that and it's NW, Swinton or Rochdale at Keepmoat. Fancy it?

Not sure if that's how it works, may be wrong but aren't ties played on the ground of the side that finished highest in the league? Also, the Swinton supporters I talked to last week didn't rate their chances of promotion and thought that you'd go up.

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Not sure if that's how it works, may be wrong but aren't ties played on the ground of the side that finished highest in the league? Also, the Swinton supporters I talked to last week didn't rate their chances of promotion and thought that you'd go up.

It was like that but I believe it's been changed so that effectively a team that beats a team above takes their place in the structure. For instance should Doncaster lose next week and Crusaders beat Rochdale then the following weeks game will be at the Keepmoat. I'll try to find clarification of this. It seems only fair though but that is neither here nor there I suppose 

3 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

It was like that but I believe it's been changed so that effectively a team that beats a team above takes their place in the structure. For instance should Doncaster lose next week and Crusaders beat Rochdale then the following weeks game will be at the Keepmoat. I'll try to find clarification of this. It seems only fair though but that is neither here nor there I suppose 

This is correct, Doncaster essentially won the rights to a home game should they play NWC again. 

Like wise if they beat Swinton at the weekend they would win the rights to the home final

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jemmo said:

This is correct, Doncaster essentially won the rights to a home game should they play NWC again. 

Like wise if they beat Swinton at the weekend they would win the rights to the home final

Cheers Daz. Thanks for confirming that. Very good to know. I expect a Dons Lions final. Next week will confirm where it's played

4 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

That clears that up, thank you. Not sure about a Dons - Lions final, the Cru have beaten Swinton two times out of three this season with one being at Heywood Road.

We won twice at Heywood Rd - once in the Challege Cup and once in League 1....both nail-biting games!