Fri 9th-Sun 11th Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

40 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Delighted for Barrow to have a home playoff game after an excellent season.  We all know Leigh are going up so it is almost academic but I hope Barrow get a bumper crowd. 

York confortably in playoffs again.  Will be interested to see how Batley and Keighley get on next year for different reasons. 

Minimum 3k but really hopeful of closer to 4K as surely Batley will bring close to 500 won’t they? 

16 hours ago, mickmike wilson said:

Barrow are winning 20-30 in the final few mins so HUGE CONGRATULATIONS in finishing the season an astonishing 4th 👏👏👏

Batley won’t fancy the away game in Barradise as much as we do but it’s anyones game on the day.

Pretty daunting task for either Barradise (like that) or Batley going to Leigh for the semis, Batley never gave up today and I will commend them for all the effort they put in right to the final whistle but for all their endeavour's there is going to be some very battered and bruised Batley bodies going into the game next week at Barrow such is the size, power, and tenacity of this Leigh team who have not had much intensity in games from the opposition for a good while now and so they make their own in never stopping going forward and hitting hard in the tackle from the kick off to the end, will Batley relish the prospect of returning to the LSV in 2 weeks time and putting in the effort at Barrow or will professional plride and the will to win take over?

Edited by Harry Stottle

27 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

That's a far more polite way to describe Mr Kendall's performance than I can manage.

Bloody awful referee.

Thought the scoreline flattered Halifax a tad and a better referee would have given about 3 set restarts every set. Thought we were playing the geriatrics at times, such was the length of time 'fax took to get up from the tackle.

Fev looked scratchy in attack, first time our best two halves have played together and it showed.

Before the kick off at Leigh and realising who the ref was, I said to those around me of all the show pony referees who are so pedantic and want to be the centre of attention none come near Chris Kendall and Liam Moore, the latter didn't dissapoint today, there was nothing either set of fans could complain about with seemingly favouring one team or the other just the will to keep stopping the game and not letting it flow.

Betcha either one of these two gets the SL final and the other the Championship Final, I would take Robert Hicks and Ben Thaler over both of them any time.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Pretty daunting task for either Barradise (like that) or Batley going to Leigh for the semis, Batley never gave up today and I will commend them for all the effort they put in right to the final whistle but for all their endeavour's there is going to be some very battered and bruised Batley bodies going into the game next week at Barrow such is the size, power, and tenacity of this Leigh team who have not had much intensity in games from the opposition for a good while now and so they make their own in never stopping going forward and hitting hard in the tackle from the kick off to the end, will Batley relish the prospect of returning to the LSV in 2 weeks time and putting in the effort or will professional plride and the will to win take over?

It doesn't matter what takes over you won't be beat.

3504 attendance for Bradford vs Widnes. Widnes won more comfortably than the 23-10 scoreline suggests. The frankly quite odd programme notes from the Bulls volunteer CEO suggest all is not well at Odsal. I couldn't work out why Widnes were desperately trying to get Matty Smith on the scoresheet, I assume this is perhaps his last game as a player. It nearly didn't work, as when he took a conversion in place of Joe Edge, he missed, and he then had a try disallowed. However, he got a drop goal with a couple of minutes to go, which apparently went in off the post, although it didn't look like it to me.

11 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

It doesn't matter what takes over you won't be beat.

As I have said for a long time, I will not be happy until we are in front and the game ends, but from being a pessimist a couple of months ago and since observing how the team is improving game on game I much more optimistic of the outcome, I will go as far to say *Fev will have to do something very special to come away winners and if they can do so they will really be worthy of the title Champions and get my applause.

* I can't see Fax beating Fev in the semi at POR.

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I have said for a long time, I will not be happy until we are in front and the game ends, but from being a pessimist a couple of months ago and since observing how the team is improving game on game I much more optimistic of the outcome, I will go as far to say *Fev will have to do something very special to come away winners and if they can do so they will really be worthy of the title Champions and get my applause.

Having attended the fax v fev game today I can 100% see fax beating fev at post office Rd . Fev were better for 20/25 then they noticeably dropped off , fax has a try disallowed on the half time hooter . Fax then nilled fev in the 2nd half when fev usually dominate . A ref decision a bounce of the ball a conversion is all that separated the sides today . Cuthbertson and Lockwood brought nothing from the bench whereas gwaze did , plus gee had to play centre when arundal went off for 60 mins , no walmsey, barber n tangata. Moors and their bald winger ( forgotten is name we’re their best players ) I see this game like the end of rocky 1 , another 5 mins and it was faxs’ game . If we get to the semis it’s 50/50 .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rockingchair said:

Having attended the fax v fev game today I can 100% see fax beating fev at post office Rd . Fev were better for 20/25 then they noticeably dropped off , fax has a try disallowed on the half time hooter . Fax then nilled fev in the 2nd half when fev usually dominate . A ref decision a bounce of the ball a conversion is all that separated the sides today . Cuthbertson and Lockwood brought nothing from the bench whereas gwaze did , plus gee had to play centre when arundal went off for 60 mins , no walmsey, barber n tangata. Moors and their bald winger ( forgotten is name we’re their best players ) I see this game like the end of rocky 1 , another 5 mins and it was faxs’ game . If we get to the semis it’s 50/50 .

Fev had a try disallowed dosnt that count same as Fax's disallowed one then ?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not many saw Leeds or Salford progressing either

25 minutes ago, Rockingchair said:

Anyway you haven't beat York yet lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Not many saw Leeds or Salford progressing either

You can't compare Salford and Leeds with Leigh,top end of SL is pretty even ,Leigh and the rest in the Championship aren't.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fevrover said:

Anyway you haven't beat York yet lol.

Absolutely not no . You were better for the 1st 20/25 but your bench had no impact . Every time we built pressure Kendal stepped in , I was in the east stand fev constantly offside, your big lads were blowing and lost there impact . If we get to the semis and survive the opening 20/25 I think we have you , with barber tangata and walmsey to come in , I’d drop worthington and play McComb as he provides more threat . Your best player was your bald winger .

Just now, Rockingchair said:

Absolutely not no . You were better for the 1st 20/25 but your bench had no impact . Every time we built pressure Kendal stepped in , I was in the east stand fev constantly offside, your big lads were blowing and lost there impact . If we get to the semis and survive the opening 20/25 I think we have you , with barber tangata and walmsey to come in , I’d drop worthington and play McComb as he provides more threat . Your best player was your bald winger .

Briscoe, we have players to come back as well,one things for sure it will be another good game ( if yer best York - should do). Fev fans complaining about ref as well so he can't win lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

3504 attendance for Bradford vs Widnes. Widnes won more comfortably than the 23-10 scoreline suggests. The frankly quite odd programme notes from the Bulls volunteer CEO suggest all is not well at Odsal. I couldn't work out why Widnes were desperately trying to get Matty Smith on the scoresheet, I assume this is perhaps his last game as a player. It nearly didn't work, as when he took a conversion in place of Joe Edge, he missed, and he then had a try disallowed. However, he got a drop goal with a couple of minutes to go, which apparently went in off the post, although it didn't look like it to me.

Drop goal certainly hit the post and looked like it went over. Ref was more or less stood under the posts from memory.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

2 hours ago, mickmike wilson said:

Minimum 3k but really hopeful of closer to 4K as surely Batley will bring close to 500 won’t they? 

I can't see Batley bringing 500 they don't get a great deal at home which is a shame the way they are progressing,and i'am not being disrespectful. A great away day at The Mount and Fev fans favourite for most of us.

5 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Briscoe, we have players to come back as well,one things for sure it will be another good game ( if yer best York - should do). Fev fans complaining about ref as well so he can't win lol.

I ve watched fax vs fev a few times in recent years and were closer now than ever , like I say if we get there it’ll be a humdinger if we get past that 1st 25 . It’s kinda all irrelevant as neither beats leigh . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Drop goal certainly hit the post and looked like it went over. Ref was more or less stood under the posts from memory.

I thought it had hit the post and not gone through, but, this being Odsal, I'm sure the referee had a better view.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thats kind of sad that I think 3500 is a good crowd.  Would've been 5k a few years ago.  Hope at least Widnes can become competitive again. 

I predicted us finishing 7th or 8th before the start of the season, based on the squad we had, and that's how it turned out. I'd expect us to be higher next season simply because we've now had a proper year of money coming into the club, and hopefully that will lead to a more competitive budget and squad for next season.

Obviously not happy with the loss but happy with the result if that makes any sense and if the game had gone on another 5 minutes I think we would have won it as Fev looked shot. Too many soft tries conceded for Fax and I would like to see Fev's 4th try again as it looked a very clear double movement. As has been said the refereeing performance was eratic and I thought it made for a very stop start game for both teams. Fev looked bigger and stronger early doors as expected and went back to back to back with tries in the 1st half which rocked us but Im very pleased to see us finish the stronger and stopping Fev scoring in the 2nd half. About 3 players to come back in for next week and really good to get JWH back on the field. We are closer than ever to been the 2nd best team in the league, I think the Grix brothers have done a great job for us.

• Like 3