Fri 9th-Sun 11th Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

54 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Obviously not happy with the loss but happy with the result if that makes any sense and if the game had gone on another 5 minutes I think we would have won it as Fev looked shot. Too many soft tries conceded for Fax and I would like to see Fev's 4th try again as it looked a very clear double movement. As has been said the refereeing performance was eratic and I thought it made for a very stop start game for both teams. Fev looked bigger and stronger early doors as expected and went back to back to back with tries in the 1st half which rocked us but Im very pleased to see us finish the stronger and stopping Fev scoring in the 2nd half. About 3 players to come back in for next week and really good to get JWH back on the field. We are closer than ever to been the 2nd best team in the league, I think the Grix brothers have done a great job for us.

Still can't beat us at The Shay though.Agree with you about the referee.At least with that performance you won't be putting your head in the gas oven.Too expensive a way these days.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Too many soft tries conceded for Fax and I would like to see Fev's 4th try again as it looked a very clear double movement.

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Obviously not happy with the loss but happy with the result if that makes any sense and if the game had gone on another 5 minutes I think we would have won it as Fev looked shot. Too many soft tries conceded for Fax and I would like to see Fev's 4th try again as it looked a very clear double movement. As has been said the refereeing performance was eratic and I thought it made for a very stop start game for both teams. Fev looked bigger and stronger early doors as expected and went back to back to back with tries in the 1st half which rocked us but Im very pleased to see us finish the stronger and stopping Fev scoring in the 2nd half. About 3 players to come back in for next week and really good to get JWH back on the field. We are closer than ever to been the 2nd best team in the league, I think the Grix brothers have done a great job for us.

So let's get this straight  we scored soft tries but Fax scored belters ?

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Two of those "belters" came off the back of howlers from Mr Kendall too.

Just read the league express apparently the penalty count was 7-7 so has bad as he was it sorted itself in the end . Hope we don’t get him again.  It’s all water under the bridge now , if we can turn over York at least it means the semi final won’t be a foregone conclusion and ultimately that’s better for the sport overall. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fevrover said:

So let's get this straight  we scored soft tries but Fax scored belters ?

Thats exactly what I said although I don't recall mentioning the Fax tries only that Fax conceded too many soft tries. Given one is drive from 10 yards out that carried 2 players over the line and another was from a last tackle play and an awful read I think that was a fair comment.

Edit: Just watching the Grix interview and he just said the same. Can't believe he is disrespecting Fev like that. 😀

Edited by The Blues Ox

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yes next year is a fascinating one for Widnes and playoffs. If Fax are spending less,Batley having a high turnover of players and York seemingly hitting their level it might bring them back closer.

We didnt get the playoff race we hoped but Keighley will be giving it a go also. If London stop being run like a joke I actually worry for Bulls and Newcastle about heading down.

What makes you think Fax are going to be spending less next season? Most of this years squad are already signed up for next year and it looks like only 3/4 will be leaving with some new additions already signed up. Im hoping we can be a bit further away from the chasing pack next year and a lot closer to Fev and Toulouse.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rockingchair said:

Having attended the fax v fev game today I can 100% see fax beating fev at post office Rd . Fev were better for 20/25 then they noticeably dropped off , fax has a try disallowed on the half time hooter . Fax then nilled fev in the 2nd half when fev usually dominate . A ref decision a bounce of the ball a conversion is all that separated the sides today . Cuthbertson and Lockwood brought nothing from the bench whereas gwaze did , plus gee had to play centre when arundal went off for 60 mins , no walmsey, barber n tangata. Moors and their bald winger ( forgotten is name we’re their best players ) I see this game like the end of rocky 1 , another 5 mins and it was faxs’ game . If we get to the semis it’s 50/50 .

Thanks for that Rocker, must say I just based my prediction on nothing more than a gut feeling I had not seen any report of the game, sounds like come the semis you will knocking 10 colours out of each other, I have said and criticized Fevs recruitment policy all season that they have too much experience (older player's) within their ranks, but thought they would give it one big last Hoorah, but maybe you can give them the run around.

As a Leigh fan I am really interested in watching this game, so it will be a mad dash home after Leigh's semi if we win ours, now for my second prediction we will, really looking forward to the final whoever it is we meet.

PS if it is Fax, I will repeat if they do win at the LSV in the final they will have thoroughly deserved it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Not many saw Leeds or Salford progressing either

With due respect neither of those are as dominant as Leigh are in their division this season, averaged over 48 points for and less than 8 against per game.

Would you bet against Leigh with home advantage in both the semis and final George?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

What makes you think Fax are going to be spending less next season? Most of this years squad are already signed up for next year and it looks like only 3/4 will be leaving with some new additions already signed up. Im hoping we can be a bit further away from the chasing pack next year and a lot closer to Fev and Toulouse.

Probs been listening to gledhill who knows nowt about fax and was waffling on his full 80 minutes, he actually contradicted himself by saying we ll be spending less but was adamant we offered widdop a contract which regardless of whether he wanted too much money the board would have known he wouldn’t have come cheap  , it’s well documented that Bradford will have reduced funding for next year and I think t’ old mick is struggling with the status quo at the moment. I see fax closer to fev etc next year rather than those below.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yes next year is a fascinating one for Widnes and playoffs. If Fax are spending less,Batley having a high turnover of players and York seemingly hitting their level it might bring them back closer.

We didnt get the playoff race we hoped but Keighley will be giving it a go also. If London stop being run like a joke I actually worry for Bulls and Newcastle about heading down.

I think apart from the last rites being administered Newcastle are busted, both off and on the field.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks for that Rocker, must say I just based my prediction on nothing more than a gut feeling I had not seen any report of the game, sounds like come the semis you will knocking 10 colours out of each other, I have said and criticized Fevs recruitment policy all season that they have too much experience (older player's) within their ranks, but thought they would give it one big last Hoorah, but maybe you can give them the run around.

As a Leigh fan I am really interested in watching this game, so it will be a mad dash home after Leigh's semi if we win ours, now for my second prediction we will, really looking forward to the final whoever it is we meet.

PS if it is Fax, I will repeat if they do win at the LSV in the final they will have thoroughly deserved it.

No worries pal , I don’t think either side beats leigh , if fax gets to the semi final against fev that’ll be our grand final tbh , even Grix acknowledged we’re not ready for super league. I’m happy with faxs’ progression under the Grix bros and the gap has closed between fev and fax ,last year we lost by over 30 points at there place twice , I can’t see that happening again.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

With due respect neither of those are as dominant as Leigh are in their division this season, averaged over 48 points for and less than 8 against per game.

Would you bet against Leigh with home advantage in both the semis and final George?

Sorry if my post was misunderstood harry , it was the chance of fax beating fev in the semi I was referring to , yes as for the final Leigh comfortably.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, but having seen Leigh in various play off capitulations over the years, would you bet on them?

10 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

London will never stop being run like a Joke until we have removed the existing CEO, and thats not going to happen.

London will finish around where they are today next year, a long way from the playoffs,but also good enough not to be relegated.  I do fear for Newcastle however.  On Bulls, I would expect you to be above London, but still a way from the playoffs.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah nothing on there that changes my mind and I think when the video comes out will offer a better angle. But you can see his arm reach out for the line so I guess its just a question if he makes that second movement.

Still looks a try to me but what is even more clear from the slo-mo video on RoversTV is that Briscoe's second half try was a brilliant finish, failrly evidently getting the ball down before he went into touch, and sadly the touch judge (who only had the benefit of only one viewing of course) got that wrong.

48 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Still looks a try to me but what is even more clear from the slo-mo video on RoversTV is that Briscoe's second half try was a brilliant finish, failrly evidently getting the ball down before he went into touch, and sadly the touch judge (who only had the benefit of only one viewing of course) got that wrong.

I thought it was a try on my first viewing, its just one of those where you see the flag go down and most people asume he must be in touch when wingers these days score those for fun.