old fashioned characterful atmospheric stadiums versus soulless modern ones

what a load of nonsense, and people still keep spouting it. Most of the time these stadiums were two thirds empty, with only the racist chanting from the 'popular end' to show any signs of life, and the facilities for disabled fans were uniformly disgusting. Some of the best rugby league experiences I've ever had have been in modern stadiums including the John Smith's in Huddersfield, the MKM  stadium, and the DW stadium Wigan. Featherstone have done a fantastic innovative job in modernising their stadium and let's hope that Wakefield can make theirs civilised. People and history create character and atmosphere, not rusty corrugated iron and ankle deep pools of urine in the gents. 

Edited by Gordon Street
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

what a load of nonsense, and people still keep spouting it. Most of the time these stadiums were two thirds empty, with only the racist chanting from the 'popular end' to show any signs of life, and the facilities for disabled fans were uniformly disgusting. Some of the best rugby league experiences I've ever had have been in modern stadiums including the John Smith's in Huddersfield, the MKM  stadium, and the DW stadium Wigan. Featherstone have done a fantastic innovative job in modernising their stadium and let's hope that Wakefield can make theirs civilised. People and history create character and atmosphere, not rusty corrugated iron and ankle deep pools of urine in the gents. 

Hey Gordon.... come on, spill the beans, which regular poster are you another reincarnation of?😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi Gordon ...Have you ever spilt blood at Tattersfield, Athletic Stadium, Recreation Ground,Derwent Park, Naughton Park ,Knowsley Road,Wilderspool,Clarence Street,Station Road,Central Park,Post Office Road  bla bla bla ...if not I guess you love the new ikea stadiums but never experienced the old skool. Nowt wrong with that marra but give me a full Knowsley Road v a full Toatally Wicked any day 😇  Just read back....not sure if Gordon is for or against modern stadiums 🤔

Edited by yanto
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Hilton park v L.S.V. So many memories at the former, not so many at the latter. But the main thing I miss is the changing of ends at half time.

That must be the high point in the life of many a Leigh supporter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Gordon proving that, even if there is nobody to argue with, that shouldn't be a reason not to start an argument. I actually agree with the basic point that modern stadia can be full of soul and atmosphere. There are two main ingredients:

- Time - the older a stadium gets, the more memories and nostalgia can grow

- As with most things a key element is which ground was in place in when you were between the ages of about 12 and 17, with a fair chance that is what you'll be most emotionally attached to.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I personally prefer the old grounds, although i do like our ground more now its been done up. Used to enjoy Watersheddings that was a Rugby ground. Knowsley Rd,Willows, Wilderspool,Wheldon Rd,Wakefield when it had all its stands ( so you can guess how long I've been going).Central  Park was a good un but don't like the DW or Totally Wicked Stadium. The Boulevard and Craven Park were ok i could go on but at the end of the day a lot of Stadiums were too old   or  for other reasons had to go. Good thread this for a change lol.

It depends on what the new stadium is like and how much it is fit for purpose. The grounds at Wigan and Huddersfield can be great when full but are just too big and anonymous for the clubs which play in them. 

Warrington is a cracking ground which they got just right with the standing down the side. Saints messed that bit up and it really seems to suffer from it atmosphere wise.

At least Saints ground is distinctive thought - Leigh just seems a anonymous and soul less to me, four cookie cutter stands with the popular side again stuck behind the posts.

• Confused 1

Stadiums old or new, I wish they'd close the bars during the game, opening only before the game or at half time. Nothing worse than the continual procession of weak-bladdered fans to and from the bar when they should be paying attention to what is happening on the pitch. Up and down, up and down they go, pushing past you on their way to the bars, spilling their beer on everyone they disturb when  staggering back. Show some self-control and some consideration for those whose enjoyment you are spoiling. You CAN manage 40 mins without necking the the stuff, you know.

🤬

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Stadiums old or new, I wish they'd close the bars during the game, opening only before the game or at half time. Nothing worse than the continual procession of weak-bladdered fans to and from the bar when they should be paying attention to what is happening on the pitch. Up and down, up and down they go, pushing past you on their way to the bars, spilling their beer on everyone they disturb when  staggering back. Show some self-control and some consideration for those whose enjoyment you are spoiling. You CAN manage 40 mins without necking the the stuff, you know.

🤬

It's been said elsewhere on umpteen occasions that clubs need to be able to generate revenue through the sales of food and refreshment. Your idea would kill most of them if they aren't allowed to sell beer because it annoys you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave W said:

It's been said elsewhere on umpteen occasions that clubs need to be able to generate revenue through the sales of food and refreshment. Your idea would kill most of them if they aren't allowed to sell beer because it annoys you.

Read my post. Where did I say that they couldn't sell beer? In any case, it's margin that counts, not revenue.

I like Saints’s new home, its a great spec, it’s somewhere too keep dry when it’s raining, it has excellent facilities in the concourses, and v good toilet facilities if you want to go for a No2, or just use the pish troughs for a No1. Or to just go for a cig or roll a few spliffs. 
But most importantly they have sinks with hot & cold water to wash your hands. They didn’t have any of that modern day stuff at Knowsley Road behind the Eddington End or the pig sty behind the old scoreboard. Being a season ticket holder at the old place people go on about KR bouncing as if it was for every game which just wasn’t the case, a lot of time the atmosphere was dead. I’m glad we moved as the stadium is used most of the year (i think). The only danger is making your way through Fingerpost on a night and bumping into the “FingerPost Posse”, you just have to listen out for the horse’s hooves which gives you a bit of time to hide from the rabble rousers. 

• Like 1

Used to love going to old rochdale ground.stand outside bar near halfway to watch game, and come back couple a days later to see local legend super stu smith win everything in f1 stockcars, magic days a lifetime ago. new place- souless.

It's the fans and the occasion that make for a good atmosphere. The MKM for example can be as flat as a pancake. But when it's a big game with 15000 in and Hull are playing well the place can be absolutely bouncing. Those occasions have been few and far between in recent times admittedly.

• Like 2

A ramshackled, crumbling, weed strewn, broken, splintered, half opened Fartown with it's virtually closed off, falling down, wooden benched, leaking roof main stand against the modcons of the John Smiths with it's covered plastic seating, wide concrete concourse, covered spacious toilets, plush hospitality lounges, numerous bars and concession stands......no contest whatsoever

FARTOWN EVERYTIME!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

🤬

And the award for the most rediculous post of 2022 goes to .............

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Read my post. Where did I say that they couldn't sell beer? In any case, it's margin that counts, not revenue.

"I wish they'd close the bars during the game, opening only before the game or at half time"

That's a pretty huge chunk of takings you're eliminating there considering that most people are only in the ground for the duration of the game.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

🤬

I understand your point and agree. However on standing terraces it's not an issue as people move more freely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dave W said:

"I wish they'd close the bars during the game, opening only before the game or at half time"

That's a pretty huge chunk of takings you're eliminating there considering that most people are only in the ground for the duration of the game.

Also creating an absolutely monstrous queue at half time which the staff will never be able to get through in the time allotted. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

I must be old school because I can survive a couple of hours without pouring down that over priced rubbish they sell as lager/ beer. I can also manage the same amount of time without stuffing the stadium stodge into my belly. 

As long as I am dry and have a good view, I get so engrossed in the game I am totally oblivious about my stadium surroundings. 

It's the actual match I go for not to sit admiring the architecture. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Hilton park v L.S.V. So many memories at the former, not so many at the latter. But the main thing I miss is the changing of ends at half time.

Hilton park is where you had memories but it was really dated and LSV is a good stadium don't know how anyone can complain. Also Warrington and Saints have new facilities that have generated good atmosphere so not all soulless. 

• Like 1

I think comparing new v old is meaningless drivel .You really can''t compare old V new without removing your blinkers  If clubs could have spent money on their traditional homes and brought them up to date THEN

rather than comparing 

old fashioned characterful atmospheric stadiums versus soulless modern ones

we could compare 

modernised old fashioned characterful atmospheric stadiums versus soulless modern ones

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yanto said:

Hi Gordon ...Have you ever spilt blood at Tattersfield, Athletic Stadium, Recreation Ground,Derwent Park, Naughton Park ,Knowsley Road,Wilderspool,Clarence Street,Station Road,Central Park,Post Office Road  bla bla bla ...if not I guess you love the new ikea stadiums but never experienced the old skool. Nowt wrong with that marra but give me a full Knowsley Road v a full Toatally Wicked any day 😇  Just read back....not sure if Gordon is for or against modern stadiums 🤔

i haven't spilt blood at any of those grounds. Most people haven't, but I've had the dubious pleasure of watching rugby league in all of them. I love stadiums where you get a decent view, that are safe,  have decent facilities for disabled fans; none of the stadiums you mention did that, although post office road, which is a fine modern stadium does, have decent toilet facilities and social facilities. A full stadium is just that, although on the occasions that Knowsley road was full you had a good chance of your view being obstructed by the many stanchions holding the roof up.