old fashioned characterful atmospheric stadiums versus soulless modern ones

18 minutes ago, POR said:

I think comparing new v old is meaningless drivel .You really can''t compare old V new without removing your blinkers  If clubs could have spent money on their traditional homes and brought them up to date THEN

rather than comparing 

old fashioned characterful atmospheric stadiums versus soulless modern ones

we could compare 

modernised old fashioned characterful atmospheric stadiums versus soulless modern ones

if you modernise something it is no longer old fashioned; The Millennium Stadium at Post Office Road is a classic example of that. People and history give a place soul. 

4 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Hilton park v L.S.V. So many memories at the former, not so many at the latter. But the main thing I miss is the changing of ends at half time.

so the main thing is walking from one end of the stadium to the other, not watching a great game that you can actually see properly and not get drenched. What were the disabled facilities like at Hilton Park?

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Gordon proving that, even if there is nobody to argue with, that shouldn't be a reason not to start an argument. I actually agree with the basic point that modern stadia can be full of soul and atmosphere. There are two main ingredients:

- Time - the older a stadium gets, the more memories and nostalgia can grow

- As with most things a key element is which ground was in place in when you were between the ages of about 12 and 17, with a fair chance that is what you'll be most emotionally attached to.

your first sentence was a little uncalled for. The rest of your post I agree with and is pretty much what said

1 hour ago, MZH said:

It's the fans and the occasion that make for a good atmosphere. The MKM for example can be as flat as a pancake. But when it's a big game with 15000 in and Hull are playing well the place can be absolutely bouncing. Those occasions have been few and far between in recent times admittedly.

I've had some great times at the MKM. The best was a game against Bradford with a crowd of 20,000 plus. People used to boast about the 'intimidating atmosphere' of the boulevard. That intimidating atmosphere must have cost the club a fortune over the years with the revenue lost because people were deterred from going, and the view from behind the sticks was appalling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

The Millennium Stadium at Post Office Road is a classic example of that.

I'm a FEV fan G so know what can be achieved if you put your mimd to it 🥳

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fevrover said:

I personally prefer the old grounds, although i do like our ground more now its been done up. Used to enjoy Watersheddings that was a Rugby ground. Knowsley Rd,Willows, Wilderspool,Wheldon Rd,Wakefield when it had all its stands ( so you can guess how long I've been going).Central  Park was a good un but don't like the DW or Totally Wicked Stadium. The Boulevard and Craven Park were ok i could go on but at the end of the day a lot of Stadiums were too old   or  for other reasons had to go. Good thread this for a change lol.

The millennium stadium has been more than done up, it's been transformed into a fine modern facility. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

The millennium stadium has been more than done up, it's been transformed into a fine modern facility. 

Fev and Batley are probably the finest examples of what can be achieved, though I do think Batley should have put a little bit of money into doing something about that lower RH corner where it really drops away. Maybe they should apply for some Levelling Up money off the government.

Edited by Dave W
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

And the award for the most rediculous post of 2022 goes to .............

Yours.👍👍👍

Soccer seems to manage ok without beer during the game. But then, it's a successful sport on a world stage, with wealthy club owners, huge TV following, and fans who go to away games. 

We don't want any of that in our sport.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

I must be old school because I can survive a couple of hours without pouring down that over priced rubbish they sell as lager/ beer. 

If you’ve had to suffer a season like we have at Workington you would be crying out for a drink during the game . 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chisholm said:

Wigan v Manly 1987 Central Park, atmosphere electric, never be matched at DW Stadium

that's one game, and there will have been others no doubt. You have no idea whether it will be matched at the DW stadium. I've been to Central Park when there has been a crowd of 7,000 and it was like a morgue; an insanitary morgue at that if you visited the river caves. What were the disabled facilities at CP like by the way?

30 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Fev and Batley are probably the finest examples of what can be achieved, though I do think Batley should have put a little bit of money into doing something about that lower RH corner where it really drops away. Maybe they should apply for some Levelling Up money off the government.

Batley is a cracking place to enjoy rugby 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Street said:

that's one game, and there will have been others no doubt. You have no idea whether it will be matched at the DW stadium.

It can't be matched at the DW stadium for the simple reason that the Wigan/Manly attendance was in excess of 32000 and the DW stadium only holds 25000

• Like 2

Interesting thread. 

Been to many old grounds where I enjoyed the atmosphere, but not the facilities- I remember the gents at Thrum Hall being a wall under the stand, had to take care when crossing the ‘pool’.

Saints new ground - with standing is excellent, as is Warrington. Salford ground I’m growing to like, especially now crowds having something to shout about !!

Bradford is a real shame, like an old relative fading away. 

York - a brilliant new stadium.

HKR excellent- especially with the new stand.

I grew up at Central Park, how I miss that place. Current stadium good, would be far far better with standing areas.

Life moves on…

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dave W said:

It can't be matched at the DW stadium for the simple reason that the Wigan/Manly attendance was in excess of 32000 and the DW stadium only holds 25000

36,895 and that atmosphere would be impossible to replicate at the DW or any current ground.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dave W said:

of course it can a full house of 25,000 can do that. I shudder to think of the safety aspects of that many people crammed into Central Park. What were the disabled facilities like? What if you were behind one of the many stanchions? The river caves must have been neck deep. 

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

As a Fev supporter standing in the threepenny stand at The Boulevard was an education.It taught me not to do it again, i did have my 12 year old daughter with me at the time.

yet somehow that was supposed to be a good thing; part of the 'character' of the god awful place.