Tony Smith is the new Hull FC coach..

• Like 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Next season should be fun.

The derbies will certainly have a tad more spice to them.

And. talking of Hull FC/Hull KR rivalry, here's what the biggest critic (aside from me anyway) of Hull FC said on another thread :

"I wouldn't be surprised if Smith ends up turning them down just like Watson did."

Got that right eh DS?

• Like 1

Happy with that. Hopefully Pearson backs him properly and gives him full control over rugby matters. Only time will tell if it's a good appointment, but we needed an experienced coach to rebuild the club, and he's certainly experienced. 

I've also heard Stanley Gene is coming as his assistant, which is left field to say the least but would annoy the red and whites so I'm all for it. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

Happy with that. Hopefully Pearson backs him properly and gives him full control over rugby matters. Only time will tell if it's a good appointment, but we needed an experienced coach to rebuild the club, and he's certainly experienced. 

I've also heard Stanley Gene is coming as his assistant, which is left field to say the least but would annoy the red and whites so I'm all for it. 😉

Hes definitely older then 55 @Eddie

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MZH said:

I would be very surprised if that’s not a condition laid down by Smith. He doesn’t seem to be the type who accepts interference. 

• Like 3

After so many comprehensive drubbings over the last few years it remains to be seen whether or not Smith is capable of polishing a tu rd.

Although, of course, there are those who may well argue he’s already proved he can fairly recently…

Edited by Old Frightful
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

24th January 1967 = 55 years old.

Bit of a whoosh moment there mate, RPL was talking about Stanley Gene.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Good luck to him,  hope he does well.  I like Hull and it'd be good to see them fulfil their potential and finish 5th and their highest defeat of the season down to 50pts.

Let's not get carried away.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

24th January 1967 = 55 years old.

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

Or no I've done it again lol, cheers. 

47 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I didn’t get that joke at first 🤦‍♂️

Crikey i didnt think i had made it that complicated 😂

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Bit of a whoosh moment there mate, RPL was talking about Stanley Gene.

Thank you.. not just me then 😄 

Is this the Tony Smith that seems to have left a bit of a mess at Warrington that Steve Price couldn't clear, and Daryl Powell is a season into fixing up?

The same Tony Smith that his assistant,Danny McGuire,admired whilst a player, but was somewhat bemused by his sudden departure from KR?

Hull FC don't want long term stability,then?

Risky if finances ain't too good at the moment...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

8 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Is this the Tony Smith that seems to have left a bit of a mess at Warrington that Steve Price couldn't clear, and Daryl Powell is a season into fixing up?

No. 

It's the Tony Smith who delivered unprecedented recent success at Wire during his tenure. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

The derbies will certainly have a tad more spice to them.

And. talking of Hull FC/Hull KR rivalry, here's what the biggest critic (aside from me anyway) of Hull FC said on another thread :

"I wouldn't be surprised if Smith ends up turning them down just like Watson did."

Got that right eh DS?

Hey I only said I wouldn't be surprised and I wouldn't have been but neither am I surprised that Smith has taken up Hull's offer. He was out of work after all.

Smith finished 11th in his first season at Rovers and 11th in his second season with Rovers. Hull will need to be patient and hope he doesn't fall out with too many people in the meantime.

But of course it's a new start for Hull so I don't blame you for being optimistic. We're the same with Willie Peters. I reckon Rovers look far stronger than Hull  but yes I would say that. Roll on 2023.

14 hours ago, Dave T said:

No. 

It's the Tony Smith who delivered unprecedented recent success at Wire during his tenure. 

That he did, but during that tenure he seemed to become slowly more and more fed up with the game. Then, when he left he said he had become fed up with the game.

I am a big admirer of TS but have no idea how this will play out.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

23 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

That he did, but during that tenure he seemed to become slowly more and more fed up with the game. Then, when he left he said he had become fed up with the game.

I think it was a tough last 12m, but I do also think that even with someone as good as Smith there is probably a natural life cycle and a time to move on.  

My outsiders perception of Smith is that he puts a lot of faith in players who he usually gets a lot out of,  but at times naturally they can let him down, and not be their best selves. I think this can lead to some inconsistencies,  which is something we saw at Wire at times.  

But,  boy,  when it works,  it works in style.  His teams can be stunning to watch, those Wembley finals were unforgettable performances,  and even those first two Grand Final defeats saw us play great RL,  losing out in full blooded,  classic matches,  with no shortage of talking points. The couple of LLS wins and WCS game vs Brisbane were other highlights. 

But he is only human,  and I think the poor performances towards the end,  followed by the club deciding change was needed hurt him and I think he was probably disappointed not to get Wire over the line and their hands on the trophy. 

But I have nothing but positive vibes towards Smith,  and after finding out he is only 55, surely he still has a lot of life in him yet. He improves everywhere he goes,  but that won't always mean a title winning team. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Looking at how things have worked out at the clubs he’s been at, he can work wonders bringing together and motivating a pre-built team of many talented individuals. See Leeds and Warrington. IMO (as much of a legend to me as he is) he has yet to prove he can build his own champion team or improve individuals.

I’m not sure of the final makeup of the Hull squad for 2023, but it will likely be a bigger test, and one of whether he can take a team with few x-factor players and turn them into GF material. He certainly couldn’t at HKR, but maybe there’s more at play in that regard.

Good Luck to him. Super League needs sleeping giants like Hull and Warrington to realise their potential.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan