Tony Smith is the new Hull FC coach..

18 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Looking at how things have worked out at the clubs he’s been at, he can work wonders bringing together and motivating a pre-built team of many talented individuals. See Leeds and Warrington. IMO (as much of a legend to me as he is) he has yet to prove he can build his own champion team or improve individuals.

I’m not sure of the final makeup of the Hull squad for 2023, but it will likely be a bigger test, and one of whether he can take a team with few x-factor players and turn them into GF material. He certainly couldn’t at HKR, but maybe there’s more at play in that regard.

Good Luck to him. Super League needs sleeping giants like Hull and Warrington to realise their potential.

I think it's wrong to say he hasn't proved that he can improve individuals. I think that is exactly his strength. 

His strength is improving teams, and whilst he did that at Hull KR, he was never going to turn them into GF material, I think that's an unrealistic expectation.

Considering what Smith has done at clubs big and small he does seem a good fit for Hull FC. He has built teams from little and also improved big clubs. Whilst Hull FC have traditionally been a bit of a basket case he has shown the ability to improve clubs on a variety of levels and he will certainly need to do all that.

9 minutes ago, HullWire said:

However Smith goes at Hull FC, its some achievement to coach five top flight teams in a career. 

And he's left every one in a stronger state than he inherited. I know he may have left under a cloud at a couple of places but there is no denying his record.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Hey I only said I wouldn't be surprised and I wouldn't have been but neither am I surprised that Smith has taken up Hull's offer. He was out of work after all.

Smith finished 11th in his first season at Rovers and 11th in his second season with Rovers. Hull will need to be patient and hope he doesn't fall out with too many people in the meantime.

But of course it's a new start for Hull so I don't blame you for being optimistic. We're the same with Willie Peters. I reckon Rovers look far stronger than Hull  but yes I would say that. Roll on 2023.

Willie Peters out has got a great ring to it.

• Haha 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 08/09/2022 at 17:47, DimmestStar said:

Hey I only said I wouldn't be surprised and I wouldn't have been but neither am I surprised that Smith has taken up Hull's offer. He was out of work after all.

So you wouldn't be surprised if he signed and wouldn't be surprised if he turned us down?

Thank you for that breathtaking opinion.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

12 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Looking at how things have worked out at the clubs he’s been at, he can work wonders bringing together and motivating a pre-built team of many talented individuals. See Leeds and Warrington. IMO (as much of a legend to me as he is) he has yet to prove he can build his own champion team or improve individuals.

I’m not sure of the final makeup of the Hull squad for 2023, but it will likely be a bigger test, and one of whether he can take a team with few x-factor players and turn them into GF material. He certainly couldn’t at HKR, but maybe there’s more at play in that regard.

Good Luck to him. Super League needs sleeping giants like Hull and Warrington to realise their potential.

Always thought with their support and stadium Hull could be the biggest club in SL.....if they ever get their team right that is.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Josef K said:

How long has he signed for ?. 

I can't seem to find it anywhere but maybe the finer details haven't been released yet.

https://www.hullfc.com/blog/2022/09/10/hull-fc-appoint-tony-smith-as-head-coach/

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Tony Smith is a superb coach and one of my favourite Rugby League people. After he left Leeds I was ok with him being at Wire and Hull KR because I have a bit of a soft spot for those two clubs and it was good to see him turn them around.

Unfortunately he's now gone to Hull and many years of mirth at their rib-tickling misfortunes may be coming to an end.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Till he gets sacked 

Harsh but understandable.

Woops, wrong thread.

Edited by Old Frightful

3 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

I'm hearing that Brad Takairangi will be Tony Smith's first signing for Hull FC and will take up their vacant overseas slot.

Get help.

• Haha 2

On 08/09/2022 at 17:29, Dave T said:

No. 

It's the Tony Smith who delivered unprecedented recent success at Wire during his tenure. 

I don't think he will be able to make as many signings as the cash that was available at Warrington ain't currently available at Hull FC.

Winning at Wembley has already been achieved at Hull,more recently than Warrington, under a head coach named Radford that the Hull lot didn't think good enough for them.

I am sure Smith will develop the young players at Hull FC.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

16 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I don't think he will be able to make as many signings as the cash that was available at Warrington ain't currently available at Hull FC.

Winning at Wembley has already been achieved at Hull,more recently than Warrington, under a head coach named Radford that the Hull lot didn't think good enough for them.

I am sure Smith will develop the young players at Hull FC.

Hull's most recent Challenge Cup win was in 2017. Warrington's was in 2019.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Tony Smith speaking about Hull FC this afternoon :

"There's a bit of nostalgia there for me. I spoke to my eldest brother Brian who has had, and still has, a tremendous influence on my career, about coming and joining a former club of his. He said I've finally come to the right one."

Nice words.

Interview on BBC Radio Blunderside shortly.