Tony Smith is the new Hull FC coach..

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Tony Smith speaking about Hull FC this afternoon :

"There's a bit of nostalgia there for me. I spoke to my eldest brother Brian who has had, and still has, a tremendous influence on my career, about coming and joining a former club of his. He said I've finally come to the right one."

Nice words.

It sounds as if he's revelling in the opportunity to show Neil Hudgell what a mistake he made by clipping his (TS's) wings.

There's no doubt that he left abruptly after having his ambitions curtailed by ''someone'' at HKR

All this suggests he's still smarting about it.

If you were hell bent on revenge, where better to exact it than Hull FC?

7 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

It sounds as if he's revelling in the opportunity to show Neil Hudgell what a mistake he made by clipping his (TS's) wings.

There's no doubt that he left abruptly after having his ambitions curtailed by ''someone'' at HKR

All this suggests he's still smarting about it.

If you were hell bent on revenge, where better to exact it than Hull FC?

I don't think he's that sort of bloke.

Just listened to his first interview since becoming Hull FC coach and he didn't once suggest he was hoping to put Hull KR in their place or anything remotely like it.

Ironically, a Hull KR fan sent a message in suggesting he was a "mercenary" and would only go where the money was, which was an interesting suggestion seeing as he was happy at Hull KR until Paul Lakin interfered with Tony Smith's running of the team.

A wise man, "Rob from North Hull" I think it might have been, suggested that rather than a mercenary, Tony Smith is a man of principle.

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On the prospect of working with Jake Connor :

"He can do things that no other player in SL can".

After seeing Connor in absolute awe when he first sat down with the England squad when they met Wayne Bennett, I know there will be massive mutual respect and I hope Tony Smith can bring the very best out of him.

Sounds like a scary possibility.

May be an image of 1 person, standing, outdoors and stadium

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Just listened to his first interview since becoming Hull FC coach and he didn't once suggest he was hoping to put Hull KR in their place or anything remotely like it.

Ironically, a Hull KR fan sent a message in suggesting he was a "mercenary" and would only go where the money was, which was an interesting suggestion seeing as he was happy at Hull KR until Paul Lakin interfered with Tony Smith's running of the team.

A wise man, "Rob from North Hull" I think it might have been, suggested that rather than a mercenary, Tony Smith is a man of principle.

I agree with you.

He is far too diplomatic to say anything so damaging.

I'm sure he was being honest when he said he had a great deal of affection and respect for the playing group and I don't think he would want to say anything disparaging about them or to hurt them personally.

Something happened there though, which so far, has not been revealed and I believe he was hurt by it.

Privately, I think he will want to show them (Hudgell et al) that they were wrong to treat him that way and the comment from his brother (that he'd finally found the right Hull side) is, I think, a glimpse behind the veil, into his psyche, a freudian slip perhaps.

7 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Privately, I think he will want to show them (Hudgell et al) that they were wrong to treat him that way and the comment from his brother (that he'd finally found the right Hull side) is, I think, a glimpse behind the veil, into his psyche, a freudian slip perhaps.

To be fair, he didn't say the right Hull side, Brian suggested after all the clubs he's coached, he's found the right one.

But after his wonderful experiences at the Boulevard in the late 80's, he would say that wouldn't he?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Hilarious. The ego has landed.

You’re very welcome to him, the bloke absolutely embarrassed himself with the way he left Hull KR. Has the professionalism of a 9 year old. Him joining FC has made my week! 

• Haha 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Last night's interview if anyone cares to listen, starts about seven and an arf minutes in :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0cw0m05

On 12/09/2022 at 19:21, Old Frightful said:

On the prospect of working with Jake Connor :

"He can do things that no other player in SL can".

After seeing Connor in absolute awe when he first sat down with the England squad when they met Wayne Bennett, I know there will be massive mutual respect and I hope Tony Smith can bring the very best out of him.

Sounds like a scary possibility.

Well that didn’t last long 🤣🤣🤣

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

8 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Well that didn’t last long 🤣🤣🤣

Can you post the link to him leaving and what sort of fee Hull FC have received please?, he's still got a year on his contract.

Or are you just praying as yet unsubstantiated rumours are true?

16 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Can you post the link to him leaving and what sort of fee Hull FC have received please?, he's still got a year on his contract.

Or are you just praying as yet unsubstantiated rumours are true?

I’m merely expressing my amusement at what seems a rapid turn of the ‘off the record’ briefing events… I mean it’s not like Smith didn’t know what Connor was like eh 😃😃😃

Personally I’d like him to stay, his unearned messiah status is great value! 

On 13/09/2022 at 08:43, Old Frightful said:

Last night's interview if anyone cares to listen, starts about seven and an arf minutes in :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0cw0m05

Enjoyed listening to what Tony Smith had to say but it was also interesting to hear Adam Pearson say that the club is in a better financial situation than a year ago and is recovering from the Covid financial hit. Also that there is a much better relationship with the stadium management company since the Allams thankfully cleared off. Not that it could have been much worse of course.

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

38 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Enjoyed listening to what Tony Smith had to say but it was also interesting to hear Adam Pearson say that the club is in a better financial situation than a year ago and is recovering from the Covid financial hit. Also that there is a much better relationship with the stadium management company since the Allams thankfully cleared off. Not that it could have been much worse of course.

It was nice to hear about the club’s finances  being talked about in a positive light by Pearson but I was a bit taken aback by him beginning that piece with “In spite of what Dimmest Star claims”…

• Haha 2

Hell of a lot of 2+2 = 5 I suspect with Abdul, Connor and a few other rumours! 

No issues with Smith taking over, he is the experienced head coach that we have needed for a fair few years now. Pearson just needed somebody to run the rugby side of the business and I believe he has found the right man now.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

It was nice to hear about the club’s finances  being talked about in a positive light by Pearson but I was a bit taken aback by him beginning that piece with “In spite of what Dimmest Star claims”…

DS reminds of that episode in The Simpsons where the insurance assessor tells Homer that his policy only covers actual losses, not made up stuff.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.