If the Queen dies

johnh1

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

Focussing on this purely logistically from a Rugby League point of view it is comedically unfortunate timing. 

If they cancelled sport for ten days as is being suggested then the Grand Final will have to be moved because otherwise we've got two rounds of play offs to squeeze into six days. 

The logistical challenges for the sport are immense.

I don't think there will be a public drive to cancel things but it's the sort of thing that develops its own momentum.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Fevrover said:

So they call games off its not the end of the World, they will still get played.

Question is, when tho. We're right up to the business end of the season with little time to squeeze extra games in. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Ok. Let's answer the original question . If the Queen dies...grubs  creep out from under stones.

That's good.

Our new King - they interview really quickly and appoint the best person - absolutely loves grubs and nature and stuff.

• Sad 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Protocol 

From fifty years ago 🙄

Football League didn't stop when King George VI died, some other sports did. I suspect next week's Champions League fixtures might be quite hard to postpone.

15 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Its about games being cancelled so it is about RL why should RL be cancelled, why should every BBC channel show only the news 

Some true colours coming out on here tonight- very sad to see on a RL forum.

• Like 8

The various sports have met today apparently to discuss how they are going to proceed. Personally I expect games this weekend to be moved to Sunday/Monday, 3 days laying in state tuesday onwards no sport, and nothing on the day of the funeral (planned for Sunday 18th but subject to change), and quite possibly that weekend too.

I’m on holiday. I have no time I want to spend moderating this forum. I will pre-emptively suspend folk I think won’t keep it civil while I’m out for a beer. 

• Like 4

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

It's obviously theoretical, but I'd imagine the death of a Head of State would be treated in a similar manner whether president or monarch.

Certainly if one had been in place as long as the queen has. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I don't think there will be a public drive to cancel things but it's the sort of thing that develops its own momentum.

Once one sport does it others will want to be seen to follow suit. No one will want to leave themselves open to criticism, valid ot not.

• Like 1

Think you might see tomorrow's games rescheduled but after that unaffected until the day of the funeral.

Football in a Winter World Cup year won't lose 10 days of matches it just won't work. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Some true colours coming out on here tonight- very sad to see on a RL forum.

yes - extremely sad - why can't some posters just show some respect for a great and dignified lady who was still working in her 90s - a great example to us all

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

I will pre-emptively suspend folk I think won’t keep it civil while I’m out for a beer. 

This post is just a check to see if I'm still active.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Damien said:

Given the precarious state of finances at clubs can the game even afford the cost of cancellations and huge upheaval? An awful lot of things will still need to be paid whether games go ahead or not..

We absolutely cannot afford postponements so games would be cancelled.

Being RL focused: it helps that this is expected and the Queen was 96. We don't need to do chest beating weirdness. Life can and should go on, just with a bit of solemnity.

• Like 3

look she has been a great monarch and sad to see her go, but I am not for all this over the top stuff. The main stream media wll be pushing it down our throats for days. 

I bet every town centre ,both tonight and at the weekend will be just carrying on as normal without giving her passing a second thought.  

She died today, thats it ,why stop the world on Saturday.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Think you might see tomorrow's games rescheduled but after that unaffected until the day of the funeral.

Football in a Winter World Cup year won't lose 10 days of matches it just won't work. 

FA, and others, can and should make a "nation's morale" argument anyway.

They did during Covid after all and *slight political point* the government may very well want to avoid people dwelling on things too much right now.

• Like 1