If the Queen dies

johnh1

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It'd also be pretty poor form to have, say, a big party or other event the night before a royal's funeral. I'm sure the current government will advise us all reliably.

Why? People can be respectful, and most are. That does not need to extend to multiple days and life doesnt need to grind to a halt.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. It would be absolute madness to schedule anything for the day of the funeral. Not that it would be allowed to go ahead anyway.

I don't think it would be a matter of not being 'allowed'. It wouldn't be illegal to schedule anything, it would just be that we are advised otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Our clubs and players at all levels will display their respect to Her Majesty wherever Rugby League is played in the coming days.

The above is what the RFL's chairman has said so far about forthcoming games.  It is the end of a short tribute to the late queen.

Do you have a link to the statement?

I'm just watching GB basketball playing in Europe and the match started with an impeccably observed silence from the mostly non British crowd.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree with this.  We'll all still be going to work tomorrow,  so I see no reason why sport would be cancelled.  I think sporting events are good ways for people to maybe get together and pay their respects as there is usually a formal silence,  tribute etc. 

Pay respects,  but we aren't stopping everything for 10 days. 

**** me we agree on something Dave !!

How shall we celebrate ? 😀

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Must be tough for you having a TV that can only receive broadcasts from the BBC.

He needs a telly that shows channel 4. At least their scheduling seems to be carrying on as normal on an evening like this. 10.00pm a new seris of Naked attractions 'pure class' from the broadcaster.

8 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I don't think it would be a matter of not being 'allowed'. It wouldn't be illegal to schedule anything, it would just be that we are advised otherwise. 

I suspect it probably wouldn't be allowed even if the grounds for that were as basic as not being able to police it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

We'll a certain well respected member I have posted alongside for twenty years has surprised me on here however.....

If the rules or whatever they may be called have been in place for many years then so be it. If you're a Royalist or not (of which I am not) a significant historical event has happened today. May she RIP. 

From a different perspective I think all sporting events should be cancelled. It's not a little known Duke or Prince Edward.Tis the Queen. I'm sure we can rearrange fixtures as other sports will do.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I suspect it probably wouldn't be allowed even if the grounds for that were as basic as not being able to police it.

Okay, I assumed you meant not being allowed by Government rather than something like a logistical issue caused by another organisation's choices.

3 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

We'll a certain well respected member I have posted alongside for twenty years has surprised me on here however.....

If the rules or whatever they may be called have been in place for many years then so be it. If you're a Royalist or not (of which I am not) a significant historical event has happened today. May she RIP. 

From a different perspective I think all sporting events should be cancelled. It's not a little known Duke or Prince Edward.Tis the Queen. I'm sure we can rearrange fixtures as other sports will do.

So long as I get the time off also that's fine. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

Since the death was announced all 5 terrestrial TV channels have had wall to wall coverage. I think its perfectly valid to question whether it is necessary and whether exactly the same output on both BBC1 and BBC2 is needed.

That may be so. Should that questioning be on the rugby league forum, AOB, Politics sub forum, or or some other public forum  that any or all of us could join?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am sitting here watching the United game on tv from Old Trafford.  A minutes silence of course but other than that the atmosphere is no different than what you would expect.

Most decent people will be mindful and respectful of the death of the Queen whether they have strong royalist feelings or not.  I am not but I feel for her family as I do for anyone who loses a loved one.

But for the majority of people in the UK life goes on and we want to see things we enjoy.  Sport is one of them.  Maybe there will be some postponements but I fail to see why suspending everything in the country for 10 days adds anything.  We can have a national day of mourning on the day of the funeral to pay our collective respects.

Perfectly summed up.

The Premiership Rugby Union season kicks off this weekend. Tonight's match at Northampton was postponed, but no statement yet on tomorrow's games at Bristol and Salford. I would've thought that if there was some pre-agreed plan for all sport to be postponed for the next 10 days, the RFU would know about it.

59 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am sitting here watching the United game on tv from Old Trafford.  A minutes silence of course but other than that the atmosphere is no different than what you would expect.

Most decent people will be mindful and respectful of the death of the Queen whether they have strong royalist feelings or not.  I am not but I feel for her family as I do for anyone who loses a loved one.

But for the majority of people in the UK life goes on and we want to see things we enjoy.  Sport is one of them.  Maybe there will be some postponements but I fail to see why suspending everything in the country for 10 days adds anything.  We can have a national day of mourning on the day of the funeral to pay our collective respects.

Too be honest I'm not sure that a good example given that the news of her death was not until 6.30pm and thus too late to cancel such.

Personally and considering its the Head of State for most of us for all our lives I can see respect being shown by cancelling events tomorrow and on her funeral. Maybe for the weekend but I doubt 10 days.

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Just remember when Diana died, the Grief Police and associated nutters/opportunists attacked anything that didn't look like sack-cloth and ashes.

London beat Bradford that day in a thriller (which on re-watching, London were very, very fortunate to win).

Richard Branson came on before the game (we didn't see him at many Broncos games) and gave a speech about being as someone who'd known Diana, she'd say "the game must go on". I, to be fair, didn't think she'd known much (or anything at all) about RL. When Offiah went over in the last couple of minutes. there wasn't a lot of "sack-cloth and ashes".

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

Too be honest I'm not sure that a good example given that the news of her death was not until 6.30pm and thus too late to cancel such.

Personally and considering its the Head of State for most of us for all our lives I can see respect being shown by cancelling events tomorrow and on her funeral. Maybe for the weekend but I doubt 10 days.

I don't think European Football would get cancelled anyway. Domestic is a different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

It was a reply to someone else. This is also rich coming from you.

The thread has drifted from the original intention and is now about BBC TV , comedy shows, etc etc. 

We're keen to know the effect on our game. Anything else is irrelevant to this thread. Presumably, the thread will soon be closed.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

The thread has drifted from the original intention and is now about BBC TV , comedy shows, etc etc. 

We're keen to know the effect on our game. Anything else is irrelevant to this thread. Presumably, the thread will soon be closed.

I think between us all we can remain on track and give ckn a night off. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12693192/queen-elizabeth-iis-death-the-postponements-and-changes-which-will-take-place-to-scheduled-sport

Rugby League

The Queen was Rugby League's patron until 2016 and in their tribute to her, the Rugby Football League said: "Our clubs and players at all levels will display their respect to Her Majesty wherever Rugby League is played in the coming days."

Edited by clogdance

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

To answer properly would have to know how long if any games postponed. I would imagine at a guess considering we would be talking day or a weekend it should be workable.

Too be honest I would be appalled that any major institution or in this case major sporting administration do not have contingency plans for different scenario's in place for the Queen's death.  Whether it would have been last year, next year or whenever as in this case today.

12 minutes ago, redjonn said:

My point wasn't so much that the game went ahead as the 'ordinary' folk were still happy to watch and enjoy their sport while still being sad about the news no doubt.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

State enforced mourning is not what a modern democratic country should be doing.

The Tory rags will spill their usual bile at sports that don't tow the press line, sport needs to carry on, but showing respect with a pre-match silence and arm bands.

It would be foolish for sports to attempt to play on the day of the funeral, a lot of people just wouldn't turn up, there would be no coverage and the country would not be in the mood for it.

I am not in anyway a royalist, but QEII has shown how, if you have a constitutional monarchy, it should be done.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

To answer properly would have to know how long if any games postponed. I would imagine at a guess considering we would be talking day or a weekend it should be workable.

Too be honest I would be appalled that any major institution or in this case major sporting administration do not have contingency plans for different scenario's in place for the Queen's death.  Whether it would have been last year, next year or whenever as in this case today.

I'm sure RL has but so much is beyond its control. The SL final you'd imagine is set in stone, as are World Cup matches. Many clubs play in shared stadia with stadiums and travel booked, finances are very tight as is and bills have to be paid. It is simply not feasible for the sport to just stand still for 10 days.