If the Queen dies

johnh1

Just now, Dunbar said:

My point wasn't so much that the game went ahead as the 'ordinary' folk were still happy to watch and enjoy their sport while still being sad about the news no doubt.

yes understood.

I guess it being the Head of State for so long for most people all their lives one would anticipate something more than the normal clap or silence during a game, particularly given how much many admired the Queen in of herself.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

yes understood.

I guess it being the Head of State for so long for most people all their lives one would anticipate something more than the normal clap or silence during a game, particularly given how much many admired the Queen in of herself.

But surely if anyone was so against attending a sports match because they thought it was wrong then they just wouldn't attend? People would ultimately have the choice to still respect her as they see fit. I'm not sure why this should be forced upon everyone.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I'm sure RL has but so much is beyond its control. The SL final you'd imagine is set in stone, as are World Cup matches. Many clubs play in shared stadia with stadiums and travel booked, finances are very tight as is and bills have to be paid. It is simply not feasible for the sport to just stand still for 10 days.

As I have said I do not anticipate 10 days.  Something much less. Never-the-less my key point is I would still be appalled if they didn't have contingency plans in place for how they would like to show an appropriate level of respect. Excepting that in some instance they may not be able to completely follow through on everything they have in the way of contingency for differing scenario's of possible.

We are despite how we sometimes view our sport still a major sporting institution in the nation, together with others. Thus doing the bare minimal as if any normal situation would not suffice, all be it we couldn't do all we would like to show that respect.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

But surely if anyone was so against attending a sports match because they thought it was wrong then they just wouldn't attend? People would ultimately have the choice to still respect her as they see fit. I'm not sure why this should be forced upon everyone.

Fair enough, its your view.

For me it's simply the sport as a whole showing the right level of respect for someone who has been an extra-ordinary part of our national life. Whether that is shown by suspending all games on her funeral then that would at least show some recognition of the significance of the situation.

• Like 1

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

For me it's simply the sport as a whole showing the right level of respect for someone who has been an extra-ordinary part of our national life. Whether that is shown by suspending all games on her funeral then that would at least show some recognition of the significance of the situation.

Our? Lets not go there.

I have no issue suspending games for 1 day for the funeral if that is what is decided. Longer than that becomes very problematic. 

• Like 1

It was always going to be very hard to postpone the game in Perpignan  tomorrow so it's good news that it goes ahead. Hopefully the one on Saturday also is cleared.

If it's true that the funeral is on the Saturday after then maybe Saints will flip their game to Thursday, getting one over Wigan on game timing after all.

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Going off topic for a moment (I hope nobody considers that disrespectful), this statement refers to "Great Britain Community Lions" showing their respect before the Final of the European Under-19s Championships.

Everywhere else this has been referred to as England rather than GB. Which is it? Please tell me the governing body haven't got the name wrong themselves.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Yes. But some, it appears, would rather show the anti-RL brigade that they were right about our code all along. 

• Confused 1

So it looks like both play off games are going ahead this weekend. That’s great. The semis next weekend might be a problem though. Can’t see the Saints game being put back to Sunday. Maybe it could be brought forward to Friday night, so both games are played at the same time. Sounds good to me. One game on Sky. The other on Channel 4.

• Like 1

Just now, Barley Mow said:

Going off topic for a moment (I hope nobody considers that disrespectful), this statement refers to "Great Britain Community Lions" showing their respect before the Final of the European Under-19s Championships.

Everywhere else this has been referred to as England rather than GB. Which is it? Please tell me the governing body haven't got the name wrong themselves.

It's England. Wales and Ireland (yes i know, lets not go there) were also in the European Championships. 

20 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Football can rearrange those games, there’s no chance of us rearranging the playoffs.

Yeah, I don’t think that particularly matters to the powers of this country and given far bigger sports have taken the lead, we’ll follow. 

27 posts removed. Broad brush, I have probably missed some, and got others just because they replied to a post I binned.

Thread kept, please keep on rugby. I have kept other sport posts as they’re useful commentary. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

RFL Statement.

Rugby League will pay its respects to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II throughout the period of national mourning.

There will be no fixtures in England on Friday September 9 – this means the Betfred Championship fixture between Sheffield Eagles and Dewsbury Rams will be postponed, with a new date to be confirmed as soon as possible.

As Friday’s first Betfred Super League Elimination Play-Off is being played in Perpignan, it will go ahead as scheduled, as with other sporting events involving British teams abroad – with a minute’s silence before kick-off, and the players of Catalans Dragons and Leeds Rhinos wearing black armbands.

Similarly, the England Community Lions will show their respect before the Final of the European Under-19s Championships against France in Italy on Saturday evening.

Further announcements will be made about the weekend fixtures at all levels, including the community game, Academy play-offs and the Betfred Women’s Super League Shield semi finals, following further meetings on Friday morning.

• Thanks 4

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.