If the Queen dies

johnh1

I'm probably in a minority here as a pretty committed Royalist. 10 days of mourning and the abandonment of sporting fixtures seems excessive.

It's right that games are postponed tomorrow and on the day of the funeral and I would expect a minute silence and playing of the national anthem between now and the funeral.

It seems to me that Lizzie was a keep calm and carry on type. Life should go on, we instantly got a new head of state and the world is still turning.

GSTK

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I'm probably in a minority here as a pretty committed Royalist. 10 days of mourning and the abandonment of sporting fixtures seems excessive.

It's right that games are postponed tomorrow and on the day of the funeral and I would expect a minute silence and playing of the national anthem between now and the funeral.

It seems to me that Lizzie was a keep calm and carry on type. Life should go on, we instantly got a new head of state and the world is still turning.

GSTK

I like the monarchy too. I think the Queen has been an integral part of our country and our lives. It feels the end of an era.

Also I have received many messages of condolences from people abroad. The Queen was very admired. 

At the same time I think Sporting events are helpful in bringing perspective so I agree with you on this also.

• Like 5

We should go back to a first past the post winner for this year only given the mourning period and the Queen’s penchant for racing 👀

Ten days seems like a long time in this day and age and from sporting perspectives, it’s going to cause problems in many sports but if we have to stick with ten days, so be it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

GSTK

What would Lizzie want ? , Everybody fed up and bored ? Or out enjoying life and paying due respect to a life well lived ? 

As you say keep calm and play Rugby League 

She made a video with Paddington Bear , she kept a marmalade sandwich in her bag , she parachuted out of a helicopter with James Bond , and put up with Phil's terrible jokes for 70 years 

Play on 

• Like 1

Joe Biden has ordered flags at the White House and other federal buildings to be lowered to half-mast, as well as those at all US embassies, Naval bases, Army & Air Force bases and on US Military ships as a mark of respect for QEII.
I have no hard opinion one way of the other regarding the monarchy, but moaning about moving a couple of games seems seems a tad churlish, especially as there seemed little complaint when you had a 4 day weekend earlier this year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

put up with Phil's terrible jokes for 70 years 

It's a shame we'll all be long gone by the time his will is unsealed and our great-grandkids find out what else she put up with in the name of protocol.

Anyway, related, Last Night of the Proms - which is Saturday evening and went ahead in a revised sombre version after 9/11 - has been cancelled. I believe that's the first time that has happened.

That moves us into Saturday for events not taking place.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's a shame we'll all be long gone by the time his will is unsealed and our great-grandkids find out what else she put up with in the name of protocol.

Anyway, related, Last Night of the Proms - which is Saturday evening and went ahead in a revised sombre version after 9/11 - has been cancelled. I believe that's the first time that has happened.

Again , that seems counter productive , always a Nationalistic event , understandable in the context of 9/11 with the massive unexpected loss of life , but an ideal event to celebrate her life IMO 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Again , that seems counter productive , always a Nationalistic event , understandable in the context of 9/11 with the massive unexpected loss of life , but an ideal event to celebrate her life IMO 

Agreed. I find it a very strange decision for exactly those reasons.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

With regards to sporting events then the tour of Britain has cancelled its remaining stages, so up to Sunday. I think they hinted this was more to do with policing primarily than due to respect (though of course wouldn't risk the criticism of saying this outright).

Just now, glossop saint said:

With regards to sporting events then the tour of Britain has cancelled its remaining stages, so up to Sunday. I think they hinted this was more to do with policing primarily than due to respect (though of course wouldn't risk the criticism of saying this outright).

I believe it's been said that there is a shortage of police motorbikes as they are all now on "moving dignitaries" duty.

Again, though, anywhere with crowds* likely to be an issue.

* Insert your own London v Barrow joke.

6 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

Joe Biden has ordered flags at the White House and other federal buildings to be lowered to half-mast, as well as those at all US embassies, Naval bases, Army & Air Force bases and on US Military ships as a mark of respect for QEII.
I have no hard opinion one way of the other regarding the monarchy, but moaning about moving a couple of games seems seems a tad churlish, especially as there seemed little complaint when you had a 4 day weekend earlier this year.

Your first paragraph is completely irrelevant. 

Discussing games being moved and the ramifications of 9 days of enforced mourning is not 'moaning' or 'churlish', its the point of the thread. Its even more weird to try and correlate this with some pathetic, cheap jibe about 'some' having an extra day off so everyone should be forever grateful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Your first paragraph is completely irrelevant. 

Discussing games being moved and the ramifications of 9 days of enforced mourning is not 'moaning' or 'churlish', its the point of the thread. Its even more weird to try and correlate this with some pathetic, cheap jibe about 'some' having an extra day off so everyone should be forever grateful.

Know your place.

• Like 1

I don't know if they are scheduled tweets, I suspect they are, but I am seeing some non league football clubs promoting their matches tomorrow.

Those are games that will have zero police requirements.

Not seen anything from anyone bigger than that yet.

Just now, Monkeymagic22 said:

Its fair enough that sports/events are cancelled today and on the day of the funeral, but an extension beyond that is excessive, and pointless. Let's hope that sense prevails, although I very much doubt it will.

I think that is absolutely the common sense approach that most agree with.

• Like 2

10 days of enforced mourning is utter nonsense, if anything it won't lead to respectful mourning but quite possibly resentment from some. Allow a period where you can chooses to mourning privately or publicly, but to just stop everything in the entertainment sector is ridiculous. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

look she has been a great monarch and sad to see her go, but I am not for all this over the top stuff. The main stream media wll be pushing it down our throats for days. 

I bet every town centre ,both tonight and at the weekend will be just carrying on as normal without giving her passing a second thought.  

She died today, thats it ,why stop the world on Saturday.

Our town was quieter than in lockdown last night (which might say more about peoples views on Covid than the Monarch), but I see things slowly getting back in the next day or so. 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

In terms of an appropriate response to a major national event, I would hope that the RFL can separate the flagship SL games from the rest of the programme, which ought to be able to proceed as planned.

Then we are probably only talking about 2 games under threat - the play-off games on the two Saturdays. 

3 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Its fair enough that sports/events are cancelled today and on the day of the funeral, but an extension beyond that is excessive, and pointless. Let's hope that sense prevails, although I very much doubt it will.

That seems like the right balance, unless there are practical issues like policing. If you enforce a shutdown of activities any longer it would become divisive and potentially harmful to some sports like ours, and I don't think anyone wants that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dkw said:

10 days of enforced mourning is utter nonsense, if anything it won't lead to respectful mourning but quite possibly resentment from some. Allow a period where you can chooses to mourning privately or publicly, but to just stop everything in the entertainment sector is ridiculous. 

Exactly right,and the matches can allow supporters to show their appreciation of the Queen.

27 minutes ago, dkw said:

Yep agreed. 

The BBC coverage was poor again yesterday.  They showed the same thing on BBC1,  BBC2,  News and Parliament channels,  and cancelled BBC3 and BBC4.  I'm not sure what they did with Beebies. There is no need for that,  or the pulling of all radio stations. The BBC offer a service to people,  and watching basically a loop of the same news is odd. 

This would be worse if we start to cancel too much of other parts of life.  Life goes on,  but for many people this will be a sad time,  and entertainment and social events could be something that helps them,  people shouldn't be forced down a national mourning plan. 

Respectful reflection as life goes on is the way to go. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep agreed. 

The BBC coverage was poor again yesterday.  They showed the same thing on BBC1,  BBC2,  News and Parliament channels,  and cancelled BBC3 and BBC4.  I'm not sure what they did with Beebies. There is no need for that,  or the pulling of all radio stations. The BBC offer a service to people,  and watching basically a loop of the same news is odd. 

This would be worse if we start to cancel too much of other parts of life.  Life goes on,  but for many people this will be a sad time,  and entertainment and social events could be something that helps them,  people shouldn't be forced down a national mourning plan. 

Respectful reflection as life goes on is the way to go. 

It was all a bit odd on the radio, I was travelling from Manchester airport last night and thought I would listen the Utd match (for the hilarity about to ensue) but all the sports channel had people on talking about the queen. Ok, fair enough, lets find some music. All the BBC ones had chat, ok I get that. I`ll try Absolute radio, thats usually ok...oh, just instrumentals, no lyrics...bit odd. Some channels just stopped, most had chat, one or two had just extremely sad songs. I get that its a big thing, I understand the sorrow but an old woman dying of old age shouldnt automatically mean everything has to stop.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1