Fighting in Catalan

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Reports on Twitter of Leeds fans being attacked? 

Any truth in it from people who went? 

Thinking of a trip with family next year to Perpignan ...is it advisable bearing this in mind?

yes it is worthwhile. IMHO it's one of the best rugby league experiences it is possible to have. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Thinking of a trip with family next year to Perpignan ...is it advisable bearing this in mind?

There's always been a bit of fisticuffs whenever I've visited Toulouse too.  I wouldn't let it put you off, in my experience this sort of thing doesn't happen at random and both parties are to blame.  Basically, if you go looking for bother, it will find you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

There's always been a bit of fisticuffs whenever I've visited Toulouse too.  I wouldn't let it put you off, in my experience this sort of thing doesn't happen at random and both parties are to blame.  Basically, if you go looking for bother, it will find you.

Basically a smile and an open hand calms most things down 

• Like 3

There appeared to be a bit of fighting in one of the staircases but not much. Mostly it was just the stuff being thrown on the pitch which was obviously well over the line of what's acceptable.

I agree though it's not enough to stop me going. In a big and tight or important game it can turn into a wild atmosphere which is usually very enjoyable as an away fan, especially when your team wins (this was my sixth visit and we've won every one i've been to so far 😁).

• Like 1

Been to Catalans 5/6 times with Salford and experienced one problem. IIRC it was caused (or at least escalated) by a pi**ed up female Salford fan who got a bit gobby for no apparent reason. Cue reaction from home fans, that just happened to be the Catalans Grizzlys (their American Football team) and then probably 10-15 fans of both sides got involved in fairly heavy fisticuffs. 

Generally it's beered up clowns that start the aggro. I love a pint but the booze doesn't trigger the "k*obhead" switch in me like it does with plenty of others.

Going to Catalans away is no different from any away game. Go and enjoy the game, try and say hello and smile to a few locals and don't act like a balloon and you'll be fine.👍

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, SalfordSlim said:

Been to Catalans 5/6 times with Salford and experienced one problem. IIRC it was caused (or at least escalated) by a ###### up female Salford fan who got a bit gobby for no apparent reason. Cue reaction from home fans, that just happened to be the Catalans Grizzlys (their American Football team) and then probably 10-15 fans of both sides got involved in fairly heavy fisticuffs. 

Generally it's beered up clowns that start the aggro. I love a pint but the booze doesn't trigger the "k*obhead" switch in me like it does with plenty of others.

Going to Catalans away is no different from any away game. Go and enjoy the game, try and say hello and smile to a few locals and don't act like a balloon and you'll be fine.👍

wise words, but I would suggest it's a lot different from any away game. 

2 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

fairly heavy fisticuffs

I know this is a serious thread but that is an absolutely fantastic phrase.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

No one in the history of the human race likes supping a couple of skinfulls more than me, but the day it turns me violent is the day I give it up.  

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

wise words, but I would suggest it's a lot different from any away game. 

Have you ever been to an away game Gordon? Try a Champions League away game with Man Utd when potentially up to 10,000 travelling away fans. I think you'll find plenty more "aggro" travelling to places like the San Siro, Ajax, Lyon (yes I've been to all 3 and seen it for myself).

I've also witnessed hostility at a fair few SL away games. In my experience, Catalans fans are pretty rowdy at the start of games but as soon as you get on top as the away team they go quiet fairly quickly.

As a guy in my mid-40's I chuckle now at the memories of Hull/Leeds fans piling into the middle of "The Shed" terrace at the Willows back in the early/mid-90's. There was plenty of slap and tickle between fans back then, which ain't that surprising!

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 3

It is an issue that no-one wants to see addressed, over the years i have found the SL Final at Old Trafford by far the worst for drunken behaviour (The kick off time doesn't help) back in 2018 i invited a former England cricket captain to the final as my guest (I won't say who it was) and he asked me if we could sit behind the goal so he could sample the atmosphere which I was happy to oblige:) The 2 Warrington girls sat next to us were totally ###### up and ended up having a punch up with each other:)

He commented this is better than the barmy army:)

Paul 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

It is an issue that no-one wants to see addressed, over the years i have found the SL Final at Old Trafford by far the worst for drunken behaviour (The kick off time doesn't help) back in 2018 i invited a former England cricket captain to the final as my guest (I won't say who it was) and he asked me if we could sit behind the goal so he could sample the atmosphere which I was happy to oblige:) The 2 Warrington girls sat next to us were totally ###### up and ended up having a punch up with each other:)

He commented this is better than the barmy army:)

Paul 

Haha good shout. I remember Hull and Saints fans having a right ding-dong around 10 years back and it was the "ladies" who were the worst!

Cas & Leeds at SJP as well at Magic probably 6/7 years ago was another abiding memory.

Muppets will be muppets, it's just that beer appears to amplify their level of muppetry.

7 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Have you ever been to an away game Gordon? Try a Champions League away game with Man Utd when potentially up to 10,000 travelling away fans. I think you'll find plenty more "aggro" travelling to places like the San Siro, Ajax, Lyon (yes I've been to all 3 and seen it for myself).

I've also witnessed hostility at a fair few SL away games. In my experience, Catalans fans are pretty rowdy at the start of games but as soon as you get on top as the away team they go quiet fairly quickly.

As a guy in my mid-40's I chuckle now at the memories of Hull/Leeds fans piling into the middle of "The Shed" terrace at the Willows back in the early/mid-90's. There was plenty of slap and tickle between fans back then, which ain't that surprising!

It wasn't until I was about 20 in the late 90s that I realised that the Shed wasn't just where all away fans usually happily congregated but it was us Leeds fans being dicks.

Strangely the same never happened with the Threepenny stand.

I've never experienced any trouble due to the fact we generally lose resulting in the Dragons fans being in a good mood.

• Haha 4

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Happens at many sporting occasions. Emotions are high, couple of beers (or more), hot day all factor in.

Anyone remember the Catalans executive boxes fighting with the away fans a few years ago? 😅

Horse racing is the worst. Never been to a meeting yet that didn't have a bunch of high heel wearing, scantily clad "ladies" having a prosecco fuelled boxing match. Handbags and fascinators everywhere. Quite entertaining sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Two slaps and a push. Hardly being "attacked" unless I missed something. We are a safe place do not worry. 

Notable exception if you are a Wire fan willing to climb the terrasse to punch some 70yo guys.

12 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Horse racing is the worst. Never been to a meeting yet that didn't have a bunch of high heel wearing, scantily clad "ladies" having a prosecco fuelled boxing match. Handbags and fascinators everywhere. Quite entertaining sometimes.

Prosecco & scantily clad ladies pre match could be an answer to falling attendance’s.

• Haha 8

Just now, David Shepherd said:

Its also got the (fancy) dress up element to it as well. 

There’s a unique atmosphere at Catalans, I find. It’s probably the most hostile ground in Super League and they’re on the referee from the hooter. That’s absolutely fine and I actually quite enjoy going there as an away fan because of this. That said, the Catalans fans I’ve encountered and spoken with have always been friendly and that’s how it should be. 

I’d advise anyone to go to watch their team at Catalans. Perpignan isn’t the greatest place you’ll ever visit but within an hour there are some great places and beaches that are well worth the visit. 

• Like 7