Fighting in Catalan

38 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Have you ever been to an away game Gordon? Try a Champions League away game with Man Utd when potentially up to 10,000 travelling away fans. I think you'll find plenty more "aggro" travelling to places like the San Siro, Ajax, Lyon (yes I've been to all 3 and seen it for myself).

I've also witnessed hostility at a fair few SL away games. In my experience, Catalans fans are pretty rowdy at the start of games but as soon as you get on top as the away team they go quiet fairly quickly.

As a guy in my mid-40's I chuckle now at the memories of Hull/Leeds fans piling into the middle of "The Shed" terrace at the Willows back in the early/mid-90's. There was plenty of slap and tickle between fans back then, which ain't that surprising!

I've been to Catalan games in Perpignan and loved every minute of it, and would recommend the whole experience to anybody.. I detest soccer and what you describe is only one of the reasons I detest it. 

Edited by Gordon Street
  • Like 2

I’ve been to most of the grounds except Cas and a few former ones.

Seen a bit of snarly stuff but absolutely nothing compared to football over the decades.

I do remember a female Wigan and a female Salford supporter having to be separated at Central Park in the early 90s.

They both must have been at least 40 and it was actual typhoo fuelled handbags following a high tackle!

It was stopped before hair pulling broke out though.

Generally tho my experience is good and I used to love the sensible self policing that took place and that I could stand where I wanted and chat with away fans at the game at halftime to get their opinions without the need for segregation.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, M j M said:

There appeared to be a bit of fighting in one of the staircases but not much. Mostly it was just the stuff being thrown on the pitch which was obviously well over the line of what's acceptable.

I agree though it's not enough to stop me going. In a big and tight or important game it can turn into a wild atmosphere which is usually very enjoyable as an away fan, especially when your team wins (this was my sixth visit and we've won every one i've been to so far 😁).

So the one time you don't go....

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

There is 100% a real anti-french club mentality creeping in being led by a few SL and Championship clubs and if one digs deeper it's not Einstein to see who is one of the major persons behind it (No names mentioned but easy to work out) 

Genuinely interested to hear where you think this mentality is coming from? I've not noticed anything overt bar the standard Anglo-French ######-tat in the media. 

Unless you're resorting to the obvious, lazy assertion that anyone who voted Brexit, i.e. the majority, is a fervent anti-frenchie who feels emboldened and some 6 years after the vote, has decided to act on it 😴

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Genuinely interested to hear where you think this mentality is coming from? I've not noticed anything overt bar the standard Anglo-French ######-tat in the media. 

Unless you're resorting to the obvious, lazy assertion that anyone who voted Brexit, i.e. the majority, is a fervent anti-frenchie who feels emboldened and some 6 years after the vote, has decided to act on it 😴

Some Championship clubs livid that Toulouse are in the Championship apparently

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Reports on Twitter of Leeds fans being attacked? 

Any truth in it from people who went? 

Thinking of a trip with family next year to Perpignan ...is it advisable bearing this in mind?

Yep, it's an amazing experience, an amazing city - do it!

Last night was a case of they were angry and upset, i've been many times and had nothing but positives every time.

• Like 3

As a resident of Doncaster for over 40 years I can confirm that on Leger Week "ladies" day on a Thursday has always been a time to steer clear of the city centre. My only occasion I felt threatened at a rl game was when Dons beat Hill KR 30 nil. The stewards surrounded us to protect us from Rovers fans. Saw kids in tears at that game. Swore I'd never go back

54 minutes ago, Rene_Artois said:

As a resident of Doncaster for over 40 years I can confirm that on Leger Week "ladies" day on a Thursday has always been a time to steer clear of the city centre. My only occasion I felt threatened at a rl game was when Dons beat Hill KR 30 nil. The stewards surrounded us to protect us from Rovers fans. Saw kids in tears at that game. Swore I'd never go back

The term ‘ladies day’ at racing has always made me laugh . Ive been to a few , i mean geez!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The term ‘ladies day’ at racing has always made me laugh . Ive been to a few , i mean geez!

Try Leger week mate. Unbelievable

To my original point I'd never go back to Craven Park. Never felt scared after a game like that

Edited by Rene_Artois

Surprised so many have only positive things to say. I’ve been 7 or 8 times and I do love going but it can be hostile, no two ways about it. If they win, they’re great but they’re the sorest losers I’ve come across. I’ve seen it blow up a couple of times and to a greater degree than I’ve ever seen at some of the clubs here who don’t get the best rep (Wire, Hull, Cas, Wakey etc). 

I would always go, it’s a fantastic experience and I’ve never got caught up in anything myself but it isn’t all red wine and pleasantries. 

• Like 1