the glottal stop

Those of us of a certain age whose hearing isn't quite as good as it used to be can find the glottal stop particularly challenging.  I think it was in forum contributions on another thread about either premier Sports' or Channel 4's RL coverage that there was some discussion about the merits of JJB as a studio guest.

There are three things which I find make it hard for me to hear him sometimes, and the glottal stop is the worst of them.  He has a fine beard, but it makes it more difficult to augment what you hear him say with what you see him say; that is the second.  The other is his soft voice, which is not his 'fault', of course.  My natural, vocal tone is 'soft', like JJB's; in my career, I often had to speak in public and learnt to make a conscious effort to pitch my voice up in tone and give it a bit of edge too.  It's not difficult, but you need to remember to do it.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Those of us of a certain age whose hearing isn't quite as good as it used to be can find the glottal stop particularly challenging.  I think it was in forum contributions on another thread about either premier Sports' or Channel 4's RL coverage that there was some discussion about the merits of JJB as a studio guest.

There are three things which I find make it hard for me to hear him sometimes, and the glottal stop is the worst of them.  He has a fine beard, but it makes it more difficult to augment what you hear him say with what you see him say; that is the second.  The other is his soft voice, which is not his 'fault', of course.  My natural, vocal tone is 'soft', like JJB's; in my career, I often had to speak in public and learnt to make a conscious effort to pitch my voice up in tone and give it a bit of edge too.  It's not difficult, but you need to remember to do it.

agreed, although I think he's improved. I once saw him in a play about Eddie Waring and his enunciation was first class.