WSL Vs NRLW and the WC

I've watched quite a bit of the Women's Super League, and thought that last weekend's semi-finals were excellent viewing. I also watch NRLW on Sky and the app and have seen some quite superb quality on display. 

In 2017 the English team struggled a bit at the WC, though I reckon the standard has moved up a level or two since.

Unfortunately, the Australian women seem to have moved up several gears in the past five years. That are taking some real athletes from other sports, but most of whom are already familiar with RL.

NZ are a little more difficult to judge as the Warriors are no longer in NRLW. But then PNG, who beat England last time out, have some players in NRLW.

Whilst I remain convinced the our men's team can have a real dig at the Final, as will our Wheelchair team, I fear our women have never been further behind. I hope not, and I will be there to support them and wish them luck.

Any thoughts about their prospects? And what can be done to boost our chances by 2025 in France.

• Like 1

To be honest I think you've pretty much covered it. As you say the women's game in this country has grown and progressed a great deal since the last World Cup but it still very much looks an amateur game, which it is. Australia and New Zealand are just on a different level and it is very evident that they play in a professional competition with better athletes.

Edited by Damien

I have described the situation between the Women's game in the UK and Australia as similar to the men's internationals in the 90's.  The game over there is much stronger but we have some high quality players and hopefully we can get a competitive team on the park.

Of course, that can also be said about the men's game in 2022.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

In 2017 the English team struggled a bit at the WC, though I reckon the standard has moved up a level or two since.

A bit?

10 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

NZ are a little more difficult to judge as the Warriors are no longer in NRLW. 

Depends largely on who makes themselves available. Many of the best players in the NRLW are Kiwis, but most of those are products of Aussie systems and want to play SOO.

16 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Whilst I remain convinced the our men's team can have a real dig at the Final, as will our Wheelchair team, I fear our women have never been further behind. I hope not, and I will be there to support them and wish them luck.

Any thoughts about their prospects? And what can be done to boost our chances by 2025 in France.

If you visit the women`s section of the forum, you`ll be aware that unless something surprising and satisfying happens (to me, at least), England will not play Australia at the women`s RLWC.

In decidedly unsurprisingly and dissatisfying news, Mailys Borak one of French women RL`s best young prospects has just signed for something called "Les Lionnes du Stade Bordelais". If this is with immediate effect, it will presumably mean she won`t be playing in the RLWC.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have described the situation between the Women's game in the UK and Australia as similar to the men's internationals in the 90's.  The game over there is much stronger but we have some high quality players and hopefully we can get a competitive team on the park.

Of course, that can also be said about the men's game in 2022.

I think it's closer to the 1982 Kangaroos tour.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think it's closer to the 1982 Kangaroos tour.

The men or the women?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

The men or the women?

That's fair.

I was meaning specifically the women. It's very like women's cricket: Australia went first with proper professionalism (however imperfect) whereas the rest of the world was paying lip service to it. It'll be years before that gap closes if it ever does.

With the men: we're both not that far off in that we always have the potential to run them close (sometimes agonisingly so) but also miles behind because we simply do not have the depth to do that on a regular and guaranteed basis.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

In decidedly unsurprisingly and dissatisfying news, Mailys Borak one of French women RL`s best young prospects has just signed for something called "Les Lionnes du Stade Bordelais". If this is with immediate effect, it will presumably mean she won`t be playing in the RLWC.

Explain !

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's fair.

I was meaning specifically the women. It's very like women's cricket: Australia went first with proper professionalism (however imperfect) whereas the rest of the world was paying lip service to it. It'll be years before that gap closes if it ever does.

With the men: we're both not that far off in that we always have the potential to run them close (sometimes agonisingly so) but also miles behind because we simply do not have the depth to do that on a regular and guaranteed basis.

This is all true.  My heart says our Women can do it but I watch most of the NRLW games and the quality is excellent. 

Although they play 35 minute halves and we play 40 so maybe we can run them down in the last 5 when they are knackered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Explain !

Not sure what there is to explain. Can give more details -

An 18-year-old, probably the best young player in French women`s RL, a product of Marseille Treize Avenir and currently with Déesses Catalanes, who played in the two most recent England v France games, appears to have crossed to the dark side.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Although they play 35 minute halves and we play 40 so maybe we can run them down in the last 5 when they are knackered.

If by some minor miracle we do get to play the Jillaroos, I fear we will be tiring long before that.

Could post a merry quip here about the knacker`s yard, but let`s just say it might be a good result if all our girls came through unscathed.

The speed of the growth in Women's and Girls' RL in England is very impressive (loved the Oulton Raidettes U16s when they played at York, and they brought great support too). What we now need are bigger clubs who are willing to step up, in terms of offering more intensive (and frequent) training and coaching, proper strength and conditioning, and ensuring that amateur players don't end up demoralised and out of pocket, to bring the next generation through.

Clubs that do it will reap the rewards - not just in the development of their women's team, but for their club overall. If York can do it as a Championship side, why not the bigger clubs ?

One of the Knights Ladies, out for much of the season with injur,y went on loan to Hull FC for a game to get some playing time. She described it to me as "like being back in the U16s", and wasn't impressed......

16 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

One of the Knights Ladies, out for much of the season with injur,y went on loan to Hull FC for a game to get some playing time. She described it to me as "like being back in the U16s", and wasn't impressed......

I don't want to accuse some clubs of backslapping, but they appear to think posting scores on social media and saying "come on girls!" is support, and doing good for the women's game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RBKnight said:

We will start losing players to other sports, if we haven't already. Not every player will want to be professional but when you can now make a living in a decent and visible sporting environment as a young woman in England in football, cricket, RU, netball and hockey, where is that going to put women's RL?

On 11/09/2022 at 18:40, RigbyLuger said:

More clubs need to do more. The ones who pay it lip service, do it no good.

Most clubs can barely afford to run their men’s team (their bread and butter), let alone pour money into a women’s team. It’s not ideal but that’s the reality. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Copa said:

The Australian PMs13 women’s team are currently totally dominating the PNG women in the match in Brisbane.

The Australians look great and must surely be favourites for the WC.

Skybet - the first bookie I could find offering odds - have Australia at 1/25.

I think even that is being generous to the field.

If anyone gets a chance to watch the Newcastle Knights second try today scored by Millie Boyle you won't regret it.  Absolutely outstanding individual try with immense strength. 

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If anyone gets a chance to watch the Newcastle Knights second try today scored by Millie Boyle you won't regret it.  Absolutely outstanding individual try with immense strength. 

This one: