2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

25 Man Squad

Luke Briscoe, Joey Leilua, Craig Hall, Gareth Gale, Craig Kopczak, Connor Jones, Matty Wildie, John Davies, Junior Moors, Josh Hardcastle, Mark Kheirallah, Johnathon Ford, Gadwin Springer, Dan Fleming, Jack  Bussey, James  Lockwood, Brad Day, Chris Hankinson, Mathieu Cozza, Thomas Lacans, Elijah Taylor, Riley Dean, Caleb Aekins, McKenzie Yei, Kyle Evans

Out on loan: Luke Cooper

Season long injury: Tyla Hepi

Players departed from 2023: Brandon Pickersgill (Halifax)

Edited by marklaspalmas
Updated

Really pleased about this, not least because it disproves a couple of the things that our detractors have been saying.

Firstly, all those people who said it would be "promotion or bust" for us must be choking on their cornflakes at the news that we have retained these 3 plus Connor Jones, all players that any Championship team would love to have.

Secondly, those people who were trying to stir the pot by saying that the playing group was an unhappy group at certain stages of the season will be dismayed to see the quotes from the Fev players saying how happy they are to be staying for another year.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Really pleased about this, not least because it disproves a couple of the things that our detractors have been saying.

Firstly, all those people who said it would be "promotion or bust" for us must be choking on their cornflakes at the news that we have retained these 3 plus Connor Jones, all players that any Championship team would love to have.

Secondly, those people who were trying to stir the pot by saying that the playing group was an unhappy group at certain stages of the season will be dismayed to see the quotes from the Fev players saying how happy they are to be staying for another year.

I'm not saying they're not happy but they're not likely to say anything else are they ?

Maybe they've been told that McD is on his way.

Pleased about Killer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

I dont claim to have (or know someone who has) any inside knowledge but just going on what I have seen this year they haven't looked like a happy bunch.

I know you're a Fev fan, but all season you've been either knocking McDermotts tactics, or implying players haven't been happy. Now all being well we've 2 games left of this season, and depending on the outcome, you can either vent your spleen or be left with egg on your face. UTR

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andrewj said:

Surprised that you guys are happy with Joey taking another chunk of money for 2023 🤔

There are mixed views on Leilua on here, some not impressed by him at all, others think he's done ok.

I think a lot depends on what people's expectations were. My view is that he's done ok, he's provided loads of tries for Briscoe, and although he hasn't been unstoppable carrying the ball he has often sucked 3 or 4 men into the tackle which helps towards wearing the opposition down.

The missing variable that we don't know is how much he was paid (and I don't listen to rumours about that sort of thing), but I'm happy to leave that to our management if they're happy they are getting value at whatever they are paying him next season.

As a footnote, in two of our games against Leigh he absolutely embarrassed Nene McDonald and McDonald is reputedly going to be in SL next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

What have you seen this year that you would take as stronger evidence about players' happiness/unhappiness than signing a new contract?

i'm sure theyve happily settled in the area and been offered a very good deal.  Surely the most important things to them.  

My only evidence is what I see on the pitch.  Ive been watching Rovers for a long time and what Ive seen in many games this year is poor body language, not playing for each other, lack of intensity and committment, generally underachieving. Actions speaks louder than words comes to mind.  

1 hour ago, wasginger said:

I know you're a Fev fan, but all season you've been either knocking McDermotts tactics, or implying players haven't been happy. Now all being well we've 2 games left of this season, and depending on the outcome, you can either vent your spleen or be left with egg on your face. UTR

Some of us have higher expectations than others.

10 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

There are mixed views on Leilua on here, some not impressed by him at all, others think he's done ok.

I think a lot depends on what people's expectations were. My view is that he's done ok, he's provided loads of tries for Briscoe, and although he hasn't been unstoppable carrying the ball he has often sucked 3 or 4 men into the tackle which helps towards wearing the opposition down.

The missing variable that we don't know is how much he was paid (and I don't listen to rumours about that sort of thing), but I'm happy to leave that to our management if they're happy they are getting value at whatever they are paying him next season.

As a footnote, in two of our games against Leigh he absolutely embarrassed Nene McDonald and McDonald is reputedly going to be in SL next 

Agree with that including the Nene McDonald part but still not convinced Joey is that committed to your cause.  McDonald's defence has been suspect this season we will have to see how he goes in SL either with Leigh or as reported Leeds .

11 hours ago, RobLambert said:

My only evidence is what I see on the pitch.  Ive been watching Rovers for a long time and what Ive seen in many games this year is poor body language, not playing for each other, lack of intensity and committment, generally underachieving. Actions speaks louder than words comes to mind.  

I understand what you're saying but I think it's very much a veteran group of level-headed players and not many of them are really extrovert on-field characters. I know that in Ryan Carr's year he made a point of telling the players to be high-fiving each other etc when they made a big defensive play and as fans that's great to see, we all love a team that seems to wear its heart on its sleeve, I just think that's not really the characteristic of this squad and it's certainly not something McDermott would be bothered about.

I don't agree about lack of commitment, I would say more at times there has been lack of fluency and understanding between the players in both attack and defence, that hasn't been helped by the many changes in the squad over the season but that's down to the management trying to improve the team, some of those changes have worked, some haven't.

Underachieving, maybe so, but our coach was brought in mainly on his record in play-off rugby, including with teams that had underachieved during the regular season, so I never really saw the point in ousting him halfway through the year, especially when there was never any doubt that we would make the play-offs.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

As a footnote, in two of our games against Leigh he absolutely embarrassed Nene McDonald and McDonald is reputedly going to be in SL next year.

I'm one of the unconvinced, it was I that started the thread expressing my disappointment in Joey up to that point in the season.  Now, it's obvious he reads this forum and saw my comments, since which he's done loads better and looked far more interested.  I take full credit for this turnaround in form/effort.

Joking aside, since I posted that, I honestly believe he's done loads better, perhaps it's due to fitness, or fitting into a team, or whatever, but I'm glad to see he'll still be here next season.

• Like 5