2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

1 minute ago, binosh said:

Honest question here, are these re-signings players you would want to take to SL or Is this the clubs way of setting up negatively for another crack at promotion next year?

It's not "setting up negatively". We can't sign 30 new players from October onwards if we happen to win promotion. If we did manage to get promoted, I'd imagine we will probably retain about 20 of our current squad and try to sign about 10 quality players to add to that squad, though that will be heavily dependent on luck and availability, as is aalways the case.

I'd also expect to see a fair amount of activity during the 2023 season itself as well as in the off-season, as has been the case for several years now. 

I'd say we remain in a good financial position compared to most Championship clubs, but we don't have a backer with the depth of wealth that we can offer full-time SL-standard contracts to SL/NRL standard players without knowing whether we are getting £1.8million SL funding (or whatever it is now) or £200k Championship funding.

Many of our re-signed players would have received plenty of interest from other clubs so we probably weren't in a position to ask them all to wait until the end of the season before offering contracts.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's not "setting up negatively". We can't sign 30 new players from October onwards if we happen to win promotion. If we did manage to get promoted, I'd imagine we will probably retain about 20 of our current squad and try to sign about 10 quality players to add to that squad, though that will be heavily dependent on luck and availability, as is aalways the case.

I'd also expect to see a fair amount of activity during the 2023 season itself as well as in the off-season, as has been the case for several years now. 

I'd say we remain in a good financial position compared to most Championship clubs, but we don't have a backer with the depth of wealth that we can offer full-time SL-standard contracts to SL/NRL standard players without knowing whether we are getting £1.8million SL funding (or whatever it is now) or £200k Championship funding.

Many of our re-signed players would have received plenty of interest from other clubs so we probably weren't in a position to ask them all to wait until the end of the season before offering contracts.

That’s a fair answer, are they all FT or PT?

55 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The problems of P and R , in truth you need to be operating full time with a retention of 50/60% of your existing squad to have any chance of staying up IMO , this was something I put to the board at Leigh back in 2003 , incredibly difficult , even more so back then with a supposed salary cap of £ 250 K in NL 1 

You need youth with potential bolstered by quality and experience that you can replace on promotion 

2 minutes ago, binosh said:

That’s a fair answer, are they all FT or PT?

As always, that depends on your definition of full time. Some of our squad have jobs outside RL, some don't (and there are some whose "outside job" is working for our community department leading sessions at schools etc). The club don't train full-time as a number of our players, notably our skipper James Lockwood but also many others, wouldn't be able to attend, although I think it was stated recently that some of our players who don't have full-time jobs have come in for extra sessions in recent weeks.

If we can maintain the same quality of squad it would again be highly likely that we would again make the top two? In view of this would it at least be possible to get everyone in on full-time training for the last few weeks by paying the wages of the part-timers? I'd also like to see that happen this week and next (if we get through to the final?). If it turns out to be Leigh V Fev in the final we need to put in a lot more practice for defending those kicks.

8 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

If we can maintain the same quality of squad it would again be highly likely that we would again make the top two? In view of this would it at least be possible to get everyone in on full-time training for the last few weeks by paying the wages of the part-timers? I'd also like to see that happen this week and next (if we get through to the final?). If it turns out to be Leigh V Fev in the final we need to put in a lot more practice for defending those kicks.

Money aside for a moment, we'd potentially need quite a lot of understanding employers to let the team have weeks off work. Even if unpaid, it would still  potentially cause them significant disruption. 

• Like 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Steve Slater said:

We tried that way back in 2003 , doesn't work , we got sponsors to cover the players wages for about a month , IMO they overtrained trying to show the money wasn't wasted , we looked shattered , too late in the season to do anything other than normal prep , and maybe come up with a ' plan ' 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

We tried that way back in 2003 , doesn't work , we got sponsors to cover the players wages for about a month , IMO they overtrained trying to show the money wasn't wasted , we looked shattered , too late in the season to do anything other than normal prep , and maybe come up with a ' plan ' 

That was at a time when we were virtually all part-time. Now most of the likely 17 don't have outside jobs. Extra fitness training isn't required, but a few extra sessions aimed at small positional groups to iron out flaws wouldn't go amiss.

• Like 2

Just for a bit of fun, as we are now at 17 signings for 2023, I tried to put them into an imaginary line-up. Not perfect as it meant putting Wildie at half back, Killer will be out until April with his injury, and it's probably doubtful whether Field returns, but here goes

Kheirallah
Briscoe
Leilua
Hall
Gale
Wildie
Ford
Kopczak
Jones
Springer
Davies
Hardcastle
Moors
Subs
Cooper
Hepi
Fleming
Field

Not a bad 17 to be going on with considering we are still in September (and likely to be adding plenty of names) considering the doomsayers from other clubs who said we'd be finished if we didn't get promoted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Updated.

16 players signed on.

17 players waiting.

4 players left during 2022.

I would think 3 of the 17 on the list aren't proper FEV players M Eseh and Lineham at wakey till 24 and Jack B breportedy signed for carpet carriers 23

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Not a bad 17 to be going on with considering we are still in September (and likely to be adding plenty of names) 

True PH and after we'ave had a raft of  the normal cycle of resignings lets not forget what  vickers said

I think there will be a few surprises in there!🥳:kolobok_yahoo:

2 hours ago, POR said:

I would think 3 of the 17 on the list aren't proper FEV players M Eseh and Lineham at wakey till 24 and Jack B breportedy signed for carpet carriers 23

Who knows? They're on the list because they've played for Fev in 2022 and officially we dont know where they'll be in 2023.

But yeah, they're loan signings, so....

23 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Another popular extension just been announced on Twitter as JD has been confirmed as returning.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Another to add to the list of retentions, and another welcome one in my opinion - Koppy has signed on for 2023 as per Fev social media.

I popped into the club shop yesterday to renew my membership for next year, so I reluctantly take full credit for both these re-signings.

Be gutted if Jack B is moving on - say it ain't so.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Just for a bit of fun, as we are now at 17 signings for 2023, I tried to put them into an imaginary line-up. Not perfect as it meant putting Wildie at half back, Killer will be out until April with his injury, and it's probably doubtful whether Field returns, but here goes

Kheirallah
Briscoe
Leilua
Hall
Gale
Wildie
Ford
Kopczak
Jones
Springer
Davies
Hardcastle
Moors
Subs
Cooper
Hepi
Fleming
Field

Not a bad 17 to be going on with considering we are still in September (and likely to be adding plenty of names) considering the doomsayers from other clubs who said we'd be finished if we didn't get promoted.

Are you sure you can't spare 2 or 3 of those.Seriously,if you have a squad like that at this stage,that's pretty impressive

5 hours ago, Adam B said:

I popped into the club shop yesterday to renew my membership for next year, so I reluctantly take full credit for both these re-signings.

Be gutted if Jack B is moving on - say it ain't so.

Mmm.  Who is Jack B - that is the question. One of them I would be very gutted about the other not so - to say the least.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Mmm.  Who is Jack B - that is the question. One of them I would be very gutted about the other not so - to say the least.

😆😆😆

You're quite right, I'd completely forgotten about our fixed term contract Jack B. Whether that says more about his impact this season, or the sieve that is my mind these days, is of course for my neurosurgeon to decide.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Adam B said:

😆😆😆

You're quite right, I'd completely forgotten about our fixed term contract Jack B. Whether that says more about his impact this season, or the sieve that is my mind these days, is of course for my neurosurgeon to decide.

The short-term JB reminds me of yet another JB in Jordan Baldwinson in that he looked very good at a very young age but doesn't seem to have progressed noticeably, so far - still plenty of time for him though.

On 21/09/2022 at 16:08, The Phantom Horseman said:

Kheirallah
Briscoe
Leilua
Hall
Gale
Wildie
Ford
Kopczak
Jones
Springer
Davies
Hardcastle
Moors
Subs
Cooper
Hepi
Fleming
Field

Not a bad 17 to be going on with considering we are still in September (and likely to be adding plenty of names) considering the doomsayers from other clubs who said we'd be finished if we didn't get 

Luke Cooper latest to sign,been on Radio Leeds.

• Like 1