2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Newbie 1 a replacement  for Pickersgill 

Newbie 2 a replacement for Lineham or Broadbent.

Newbie 3 could be Gigot

Newbie 4 a replacement for Jacks, a young Aussie

Newbie 5 a replacement for Eseh and Lockwood

Newbie 6 a replacement for JSL and Ferres

Newbie 7 a replacement for Bussey 

Disappointed that A.N. Other and S. O. Else have been overlooked, one-time regulars in the A team but never got a sniff in first grade.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Disappointed that A.N. Other and S. O. Else have been overlooked, one-time regulars in the A team but never got a sniff in first grade.

😉 someone in-the-know always had info on which BARLA or Welsh RU club they were from....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Don't mind players moving up to SL but i will miss his get stuck in attitude,he has been solid in his second spell with us.Just a shame about the injuries he picked up.

He is a fireman at Featherstone so i  would imagine he would have to pack that in IF he does go to Wakefield.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Reports that JSL is signing for Sheffield. Not surprising really, as it hasn’t worked out at Fev.

Smashing bloke but sadly that's not enough on the field,i hope he goes well at Sheffield if it's true. We need some younger forwards now, McDermott's idea of Dad's Army was never going to work.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Smashing bloke but sadly that's not enough on the field,i hope he goes well at Sheffield if it's true. We need some younger forwards now, McDermott's idea of Dad's Army was never going to work.

Yeah I'd agree with that. He had a couple of games where played very well(one of them was at Sheffield) but his season was punctuated by injury and some ordinary performances especially defensively.

Agree we need to get younger overall in the forwards, that said we got a lot more out of the 36-year-old Moors than we did out of the 32-year-old Sene-Lefao this season. It looks like we are judging each player on his merits which is fine by me.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rovers fev said:

Gone very quiet on new/re signings 

Can’t even say I’ve seen us linked with anyone, any news coming does anyone know ?

Must have reached their early target Funny how all this signing news comes  out when memberships are due .They must have reached the target for  early Season Ticket sales.

14 hours ago, Rovers fev said:

Gone very quiet on new/re signings 

Can’t even say I’ve seen us linked with anyone, any news coming does anyone know ?

Still early days. Our first new signing announced last year was Pickersgill on 18th October. Then Morgan Smith and Ben Hellewell a few days later, and that took us to 16 players signed. We're already at 18 so we're ahead of where we tend to be in terms of numbers at this time of year. Even leavers/resignings can sometimes drag on, Lockwood and Bussey were only announced in November last year.

It wouldn't make business sense to announce all new signings at once, it's far better to announce them gradually to keep interest alive especially in terms of season ticket sales.

Moreover each year a lot of our signings tend to be made in December/January...a lot of players become available around those times as other deals fall into place, both here and in Australia, look at Leigh's team last season. In recent years we have unveiled Moors, Cam King, Kopczak, and Jacks in January. Plus there's the World Cup which you'd like to think we'll be keeping an eye on (along with every other team of course). So if previous years are anything to go by we will announce a few new signings/re-signings/departures in the next few weeks, and then maybe the odd one here and there in December and January.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Rarefrith said:

Likes of Gigot, Le Cam, Stone, seem the biggest rumours at the moment. Few others too. 

If it’s stone from Leigh I’m sure I’ve seen he’s signed with nrl side Melbourne storm if we have got him I’d be very happy with it tho 

Le Cam ? Never heard of him 

gigot - good player but is he what we need with Ford being off the cuff I feel like we need a steady organising half back 

On 13/10/2022 at 20:08, Rovers fev said:

If it’s stone from Leigh I’m sure I’ve seen he’s signed with nrl side Melbourne storm if we have got him I’d be very happy with it tho 

played That's him R2nd rower signed him back end of SL season played every game last year but out of their new seven-man quota alongside prop Ben Nakubuwai   and loose forward Kai O'Donnell so plenty to look at

Le Cam ? Never heard of him 

He's 22 year old 2nd rower at catalans played handful of game but got in their world cup squad you can't really miss him tallest player in SL 6' 8''

gigot - good player but is he what we need with Ford being off the cuff I feel like we need a steady organising half back 

Agreed R He's a very good player but he's a runner not a kicker however he has played many times in centres and won lance todd in 18 playing fullback so could be a useful squad member

Hankinson was Toulouse's player of the season in 2022. That's a decent signing. I know we seem to be signing a lot of ex-Toulouse players but most of them are very good!

https://treizemondial.fr/chris-hankinson-elu-meilleur-joueur-du-toulouse-olympique-en-2022/

Google translation:
Arrived this season at Toulouse Olympique, Chris Hankinson was elected the best player of his team in 2022. 25 games played for 5 tries scored but also 20 assists. Added to that he landed 63 kicks for just 14 misses. The English center was an essential pawn in the race to maintain Toulouse Olympique and he even helped out several times in the halves when he was short of people. His efforts will not have been enough since the TO XIII falls back to the Championship only 1 year after obtaining his promotion to the Super League.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 2