2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

Would echo the thoughts above, Hankinson is a great signing (completely unexpected too), particularly if we're aiming to play more expansively next year - big well done to the club on bringing him in.

If we play to his strengths, and also get Joey going consistently the way he's shown he can in spells (notably in that last quarter against Batley), we'll have some major threats out wide.

I wonder who's next?

3 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Looks a good signing especially if Hardcastle plays in the back row.Would think with a more expansive playing style  expected next season the backs should relish getting quicker and better running chances.

What do people think of Hardcastle in the second row?. Personally I’d prefer a bigger pack, with Hardy in the backs.

16 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

What do people think of Hardcastle in the second row?. Personally I’d prefer a bigger pack, with Hardy in the backs.

I'd definitely agree re the bigger pack, but I'm always happy with Hardy wherever he plays. Never takes a backward step and improves us defensively wherever he is. I always feel he has biggest impact in the centres, but he's also not the same kind of centre as Joey/Hankinson, if you ask me they're strike centres whereas Hardy's more of an 'all-rounder'. What you gain in defence then with Hardy, you lose a little bit in try threat. It's a nice problem to have if you're the coach.

32 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Always played well wherever he's asked to play. However a backline of Kheirallah (once fit), Briscoe, Leilua, Hankinson, Hall looks exciting!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

For me Hardcastle in the 2nd row is fine but if that's where he's going to play I'd like to see that decision made early so that he gets a full pre-season in the position. He played in that right 2nd row position in the semi final (as well as the previous game at Fax) and had some good moments including scoring 2 tries but you could see that Ford wasn't always on the page as him, Leilua and Briscoe because of their lack of familiarity. I do think we'll see more from Ford as he and his team mates become more familiar.

Hardy is probably better as a runner with ball in hand than passing the ball and for that reason I think 2nd row is probably the way to go with him looking at our backline. Of course, if Day is earmarked for his old position as left-side back row then that means we're struggling to fit JD in at his best position but we are going to need more than two back rowers anyway.

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

It makes me laugh when people mention bigger pack alongside josh name, he's bigger than coops, bussey and head and shoulders bigger than JD 👨‍👦

1 hour ago, Adam B said:

I he's also not the same kind of centre as Joey/Hankinson, if you ask me they're strike centres whereas Hardy's more of an 'all-rounder'. What you gain in defence then with Hardy, you lose a little bit in try threat. 

Exactly right Josh gives 100% whenever and wherever he plays takes the ball in all day long and his defence is top drawer but rather than being creative looking for his winger he's more workmanlike who would rather take the line on and try to score himself nowt wrong with that but think that mindset is better suited to the pack

• Like 1

My thoughts are that we still need a couple of half backs, if as expected Jacks is on his way. Hankinson though is a very good signing.

18 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Hopefully we won't need the size we were chasing last season to match Leigh, concentrate on our strengths this time round. 

Sorry L but really think we need some more biguns in our pack considering our two biggest are our old timers👴

Biguns not only tire out the defence but nowt more demoralising than stopping a bigun getting back to defensive line to turn round and see there's another bigun running at you🤣

1 hour ago, POR said:

It makes me laugh when people mention bigger pack alongside josh name, he's bigger than coops, bussey and head and shoulders bigger than JD 👨‍👦

Exactly right Josh gives 100% whenever and wherever he plays takes the ball in all day long and his defence is top drawer but rather than being creative looking for his winger he's more workmanlike who would rather take the line on and try to score himself nowt wrong with that but think that mindset is better suited to the pack

I agree he’s not small, but I’d personally prefer a big pack of players who take it in hard and tire the defence, like Moors. Bussey is different as he offers that touch of skill and class.

Nothing against Hardy, he’s an honest player who always gives 100%. That’s just my view.

41 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I agree he’s not small, but I’d personally prefer a big pack of players who take it in hard and tire the defence, like Moors. Bussey is different as he offers that touch of skill and class.

Nothing against Hardy, he’s an honest player who always gives 100%. That’s just my view.

WE definitely need some more size in the pack M as for josh  i would like to bring him on in every match around the 50/60-minute mark running off ford at tired defences

• Like 1

So we're all agreed, we want the massive frames of Keegan Hirst and Steve Crossley back in blue and white? :kolobok_whistle:

Seriously... size is obviously a major advantage but really it's about winning the collisons and dominating physically, including in defence, isn't it? We had a big, big team in the semi final - Kopczak, Moors, Springer, Eseh, Sene-Lefao, two 6 foot plus half backs and a 17 stone centre, but we couldn't put their players on the ground or prevent offloads. Technique, strength and other intangibles are as important as physical size in my view. If we were playing again this weekend, is there anybody who would choose the 6'2", 16.5 stone Jesse Sene-Lefao over the 5'9", 14 stone John Davies?

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

Titus gwaze been released by fax 

he fits the bill being big and young 

Apparently, Titus Gwaze will leave the club at the end of the season to take up an opportunity elsewhere.

• Like 1

Bienvenue a Fev - Mathieu Cozza 

Rovers have added more French flair to the pack with the acquisition of Catalans Dragons prop Mathieu Cozza.  The 22 year old packed in some significant Super League experience for the Catalan side during the 2022 campaign and is now ready to make his mark with more game time under Sean Long.

“I’m really pleased to be joining Featherstone Rovers, I can’t wait to meet everyone and to get started and to do my best to help the club achieve its ambitions in 2023.” - Mathieu Cozza.

Head Coach Sean Long commented;“I’m very pleased to add Mathieu to our group of players, Mathieu brings a lot of youth and energy, with the experienced heads in the pack, I’m confident that we can provide an environment for him to develop further as a forward.”

Cozza is the second new signing announced this week, the second new name to join the club ahead of the 2023 season, we now need your help to add more new names to the Blue Wall.  Encourage two friends to sign up before the end of November and receive a limited edition Blue Wall Builder hoodie, simply ask your friends to quote your name and contact info if buying in the shop or forward us they’re membership confirmations by email to retail@featherstonerovers.co.uk.

Im Fev and im proud

According to the club Rovers have added more French flair to the pack with the acquisition of Catalans Dragons prop Mathieu Cozza

Maybe we should look at the dragons again they've let the big lad who's at the world cup Le Cam go along side Mathieu 

Longy must be having a word in the french players ears during training whispering “come to fev” 

Cant say i know much about this bloks, i cant say ive seen his name on the cats team sheet often despite the atricle saying he “packed in some SL experience”

Brings down the pack average age if anything being only 22 

Edited by elppaxr2i

18 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Cant say i know much about this bloks, i cant say ive seen his name on the cats team sheet often despite the atricle saying he “packed in some SL experience”

Mathieu Cozza played 10 games for the club including 5 Super League appearances in the last two months.

10 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Longy must be having a word in the french players ears during training whispering “come to fev” 

Brings down the pack average age if anything being only 22 

He played seven times for Catalans this year and 3 times in 2021. He also had a short loan spell at Barrow this year, he played in the televised game against Halifax and I thought he went okay.

Not easy finding young middles who are available to Championship clubs so it's a thumbs up from me.

• Like 1