2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

I think the other thing to remember is that every year as the NRL market settles down and Aussie teams fill their last slots one or two good players become unexpectedly available to UK clubs as their last chance to secure a full-time deal. By December/January most SL clubs have filled their quota spots leaving opportunities for any Championship clubs able to offer such a deal. Last year obviously Leigh had the funds to mop up all those players but they won't be competing for them this year. So another Cam King/Nu Brown/Ryley Jacks could become available in time.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the other thing to remember is that every year as the NRL market settles down and Aussie teams fill their last slots one or two good players become unexpectedly available to UK clubs as their last chance to secure a full-time deal. By December/January most SL clubs have filled their quota spots leaving opportunities for any Championship clubs able to offer such a deal. Last year obviously Leigh had the funds to mop up all those players but they won't be competing for them this year. So another Cam King/Nu Brown/Ryley Jacks could become available in time.

That's true P think it would help if we got Cam Nu and Ryley out there bigging us up :kolobok_yahoo:

45 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ben Hellewell has signed for Salford, confirmed by both clubs' social media. Fair play to him getting a SL gig as he wasn't a regular starter for us, solid enough player and am quite pleased he hasn't gone to another Championship club but not irreplacable.

Not surprising after his two-week loan with them in July Would have liked to keep him but as you say P nobody's irreplaceable now makes it more important, we sign at least two preferably three big forwards funny thing with bens stats 

2013/14 played 18 scored 8 tries

2022 played 18 scored 8 tries

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ben Hellewell has signed for Salford, confirmed by both clubs' social media. Fair play to him getting a SL gig as he wasn't a regular starter for us, solid enough player and am quite pleased he hasn't gone to another Championship club but not irreplacable.

Elijah Taylor coming to us from Salford. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, binosh said:

Taylor’s a decent pickup but his body is broken you’ll need to keep him on the park, Championship may help.

Why are loads of Salford fans wishing him well and saying  they will miss him and saying he's a good signing for us then ? Care to explain?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, binosh said:

Taylor’s a decent pickup but his body is broken you’ll need to keep him on the park, Championship may help.

If [paying over 20 games for Salford with a broken body playing for FEV in the championship with a broken body will be a walk in the park

• Like 2

Coming off the Bench to play 20 games, When he was fit enough to play he put in a Good effort, But he admitted himself that he couldn't handle another season in Superleague, First few months of the season he didn't play a lot. During July/August He had some great games especially in the Home wins against St Helens Catalan Warrington  and then Toulouse and Catalan away. 

13 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Why are loads of Salford fans wishing him well and saying  they will miss him and saying he's a good signing for us then ? Care to explain?

He’s a friend of one of my mates and last year he said to us that his body was in bits and he doesn’t know how much longer he can go on, like I clearly said the Champ may be be better for him. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Frankie Z said:

Coming off the Bench to play 20 games, When he was fit enough to play he put in a Good effort, But he admitted himself that he couldn't handle another season in Superleague, First few months of the season he didn't play a lot. During July/August He had some great games especially in the Home wins against St Helens Catalan Warrington  and then Toulouse and Catalan away. 

Pretty much exactly what he said.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, eltel said:

Elijah Taylor another rovers player at the end of his career let’s hope he performs better than some of the oldies rovers like to sign.

Give over he's only 32, give the guy a chance

• Like 4

It's very tricky predicting which players will miss games through injury and their previous history isn't always a good guide - as I mentioned earlier, Cam King and Nu Brown both looked massively risky signings yet both got through a very busy season with us.

There's clearly a correlation between age and injury risk but there's a lot of luck involved there too. Most rugby league players end up a bit battered, if you ever saw Andy Kain hobbling and limping after a game you'd swear he'd be out for months yet he'd be back out the following week seemingly at full tilt.

There's clearly an element of risk involved signing Taylor but he played 26 SL games this season so it doesn't seem unreasonable to think he can cope with a reasonable workload at this lower level.

If so he looks exactly the type of player we need - his defensive ability, commitment and leadership have been commented on over and over by Salford fans and those are areas where we really need to improve.

If as seems likely James Lockwood moves on, we are going to need a new captain and it will be interesting to see if Taylor (who was captain of Salford this year) gets the nod, he'd certainly get the instant respect of his team mates.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

He was playing in the Salford time last season , and just look at how well Moors played last season.

take a hint I’m just saying he may be past his best and at 32 pushing 33 in February that’s often the case after years of being bashed about in this tough game I just hope he can cut the mustard even in small doses but my faith for rovers in super league has really diminished judging by our current squad but hey rovers may make one last big push and really pull in some quality players of the type leigh did. 

• Haha 1

McConnell confirmed as moving on. I don't think this will come as much a surprise to anyone. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 12/11/2022 at 23:49, eltel said:

my faith for rovers in super league has really diminished judging by our current squad

Here's our current squad. Which squad(s) from our rivals would you do a straight swap for as things stand?

Luke Briscoe, Joey Leilua, Craig Hall, Gareth Gale, Craig Kopczak, Connor Jones, Matty Wildie, John Davies, Junior Moors, Josh Hardcastle, Luke Cooper, Mark Kheirallah, Johnathon Ford, Tyla Hepi, Gadwin Springer, Dan Fleming, Jack  Bussey, Brad Day, Chris Hankinson, Mathieu Cozza, Thomas Lacans, Elijah Taylor

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 23:49, eltel said:

taPray tell E what standards you are   my faith for rovers in super league has really diminished judging by our current squad but hey rovers may make one last big push and really pull in some quality players of the type leigh did. 

I take it then E judging by our current squad you think   we have no chance of promotion but what squads are you comparing it with and don't give me that BS about leigh and what they did last year it was an anomaly  a one off MILLIONAIRE Degsy with the help of his mate Marvin pumped in just short of 2 million to get them promoted but  there's not one of our rivals who are in a position to do that this year so personally from where I 'm standing judging by our current squad  we have retained quality players and signed some very good replacements and I also think we haven't finished so watch this space E 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, POR said:

I take it then E judging by our current squad you think   we have no chance of promotion but what squads are you comparing it with and don't give me that BS about leigh and what they did last year it was an anomaly  a one off MILLIONAIRE Degsy with the help of his mate Marvin pumped in just short of 2 million to get them promoted but  there's not one of our rivals who are in a position to do that this year so personally from where I 'm standing judging by our current squad  we have retained quality players and signed some very good replacements and I also think we haven't finished so watch this space E 

But it was'nt Leigh who stopped you getting to the final.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2