2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

On 01/11/2022 at 14:29, The Phantom Horseman said:

Matt Shaw linking us with PNG half back Kyle Laybutt. Not that we have a very good record with PNG signings, but he has gone pretty well in the World Cup.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/featherstone-rovers-open-talks-papua-25407146

Shaw says we held talks with Laybutt, but he now appears likely to stay in the Southern hemispehere.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/world-cup-transfers-super-league-25525150?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid={~TrackingId~}

45 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Shaw says we held talks with Laybutt, but he now appears likely to stay in the Southern hemispehere.

Interesting we held talks with Laybutt but the big question is have we held talks with anyone else 

49 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Matty Russell from Tolouse been banded about.

Not really - someone posted a poorly executed photoshop of matty russells head onto matty wildie and put it on fev fans fb page as a wind up

People who probably should know better actually fell for it as a genuine photo 

Edited by elppaxr2i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Daft old hooker said:

Wonder if they will announce any more signings at next weeks meet the coach event

Owt's possible D after all they say

Long will share his ambitions with the #BlueWall ahead of the 2023 season with a number of new squad members also set to be in attendance! 

56 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Pickersgill still with us judged on tonight's social media video clip from training.

I'd spotted that. You'd have thought it might have been announced, unless I missed something when he was first recruited. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

I'd spotted that. You'd have thought it might have been announced, unless I missed something when he was first recruited. 

He signed a one-year contract Oct 22 so from Nov 1st he's out of contract but there's been no mention anywhere about us or anyone else getting him for 23 although the bulls coach has said more than once he would love to have him back

29 minutes ago, POR said:

He signed a one-year contract Oct 22 so from Nov 1st he's out of contract but there's been no mention anywhere about us or anyone else getting him for 23 although the bulls coach has said more than once he would love to have him back

Will have to wait and see I think Pryce is a big fan of his.

11 hours ago, Daft old hooker said:

Will have to wait and see I think Pryce is a big fan of his.

10 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

That's a good point, I think I remember him really bigging Brandon up on Premier Sports early this season.

All true he said 

“His support play is spot on, he picks the right way, he will be my championship player of the year.”

Agree Brandon is a very good player and undoubtably walk into any championship side, but we need to ask the question if we sign him will it be a waste of money for a player who when everybody is fit will probably be third choice behind the class of Mark K and the goalkicking exploits if Craig H no matter how good he is 

Wouldn't it be better to waste our money on another winger/ halfback/ rampaging forward £££££££££:kolobok_jester:

19 minutes ago, POR said:

Agree Brandon is a very good player and undoubtably walk into any championship side, but we need to ask the question if we sign him will it be a waste of money for a player who when everybody is fit will probably be third choice behind the class of Mark K and the goalkicking exploits if Craig H no matter how good he is 

Wouldn't it be better to waste our money on another winger/ halfback/ rampaging forward £££££££££:kolobok_jester:

I think it depends on where we are financially and how much he costs. I can see the sense in starting the season off with Pickersgill at full back and Hall on the wing, and although Kheirallah has said he's aiming to be back by April, it was a bad injury he sustained and recovery doesn't always go to plan.

Looking across the division, amongst the likely top 5 contenders Toulouse, Halifax, York, Bradford, Barrow all look covered at full back, Keighley have presumably signed Lloyd Roby as a full back, so the most obvious destination to me looked like Batley following Hooley's departure but they have signed Elliot Kear who can play full back and Batley are noted for not overpaying for players, it may be that we have been able to retain him relatively cheaply?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If the players are coming back for training we need to be sorting a scrum half out.One seven and nine are the spine of the team .

I’d agree, because surely the French lad is a utility player, who would cover as a scrum half /hooker in case of injuries. It’s just wether we wait until early next year, when NRL players may become available. 

12 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I’d agree, because surely the French lad is a utility player, who would cover as a scrum half /hooker in case of injuries. 

Yes and NO Mm Thomas L is the complete opposite to Matty W he's predominately a #### half who sometimes fills in at hooker as opposed to Matty a hooker who sometimes fills in at halfback

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If the players are coming back for training we need to be sorting a scrum half out.One seven and nine are the spine of the team .

We will certainly need another half back, though traditionally teams don't do a huge amount with ball in hand in the first few weeks of pre-season training do they?

I'd definitely rather we got the right man than whoever's available first though.

In the meantime, plenty of reps for Ford and Lacans won't be a bad thing if Long & Pryce are kicking on with installing their systems. Lacans has already said he has spoken with Long and they both envisage him playing at half back (which is where he played for France B recently). I'd say he's in a very similar situation to Morgan Smith a year ago, and Smith ended up starting all year until the play-offs.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Both Pickersgill and Lockwood are still listed on the squad page of the club's website. None of the others who have left or about who nothing has been announced from last season's squad are.

It was strongly rumoured that Locky was heading for Dewsbury.