2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

1 hour ago, haskey said:

WE definitely need a further out and out scrum half.

I'm not going to say we don't, but given Ford & a highly rated Lacans, plus Wildie for cover, we're in a pretty good place at the moment. A "big name" won't necessarily provide us with anything better, though the fact we were talking to Kyle Laybut would indicate we're still looking. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

If Pickers and Locky make up the 24 man squad, then fair enough. We know what we'll get from those two dependable players.

If we are being harsh, we'd say Pickers is 3rd choice FB and Locky is past his prime, but they'll let no-one down.

Leaving aside the plea of every fan of every club (two more rampaging raw boned 6ft 5in 80 minute ball-handling props with NRL experience) and strictly in the real world, my 25th man would be another half.

We've two good hookers in Jones and Wildie, the latter can cover SH, and then Lacans and Ford in the halves. All will play every week and I don't see anyone else in the squad in a halfback or hooking role at all (Davies & Bussey's days there are gone).

So I trust the board to pick up a King/Brown/Jacks type signing and we're good to go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

If Pickers and Locky make up the 24 man squad, then fair enough. We know what we'll get from those two dependable players.

If we are being harsh, we'd say Pickers is 3rd choice FB and Locky is past his prime, but they'll let no-one down.

Leaving aside the plea of every fan of every club (two more rampaging raw boned 6ft 5in 80 minute ball-handling props with NRL experience) and strictly in the real world, my 25th man would be another half.

We've two good hookers in Jones and Wildie, the latter can cover SH, and then Lacans and Ford in the halves. All will play every week and I don't see anyone else in the squad in a halfback or hooking role at all (Davies & Bussey's days there are gone).

So I trust the board to pick up a King/Brown/Jacks type signing and we're good to go.

I’d agree about Lochy, clearly past his best, but if used sparingly, can do a job. Think that you underestimate Pickersgill, who to me looks like a quality player, and I can see him being a regular first teamer. 

One disadvantage from picking up players late, is that fitness can be an issue. So it’s a gamble, have your players have a full preseason, or hang on and pick up quality, which wouldn’t usually be available.

I’d also wonder if Joey is still in the Uk, as if he has a full preseason, his level could improve next season. Does anyone know?.

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yep, a good summary. I can see Pickersgill being given first shot at full back though if he is indeed staying given Pryce's' enthusiasm for him and he also strikes me as being the type of player Long will like because of his link-up skills.

As you say, every forum across SL and Championship has fans asking for a "big, nasty prop", which shows their scarcity.

We'e in pretty good shape I'd say to wait and see who comes available in terms of a third half back and maybe more middles and an outside back.

Still a bit puzzled by the multiple uses of the words "scrum half" in this thread...isn't the only difference between the two half backs these days that the "scrum half" rolls the ball to the loose forward's feet in the scrum? he doesn't even collect it from the scrum as the hooker does that. To me teams just have a left-side half back and a right-side half back.

We don't know how Long will see the likes of Bussey, Moors, Davies and Taylor, all of whom can play as middles or edge back row, as well as Hardcastle who can play back row or centre. So whether we need more middles or back rows depends on who they see playing where.

16 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I’d also wonder if Joey is still in the Uk, as if he has a full preseason, his level could improve next season. Does anyone know?.

Judged on his Instagram he's now back in England after taking a holiday with his family in the UK. Junior Moors has clearly been given leave for a visit to Australia though.

Following the players on insta doesn't half make you feel like a stalker sometimes!

18 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I’d agree about Lochy, clearly past his best, but if used sparingly, can do a job. Think that you underestimate Pickersgill, who to me looks like a quality player, and I can see him being a regular first teamer. 

One disadvantage from picking up players late, is that fitness can be an issue. So it’s a gamble, have your players have a full preseason, or hang on and pick up quality, which wouldn’t usually be available.

Fair comment there on Pickers. He's some way behind a fully fit Kheirallah but who knows when we'll see that in 2023. Till then, Pickers is a safe house.

Re a new signing. Even Christmas time would be perfectly acceptable in terms of picking up an Aussie HB in my opinion. Joey in 2022 and then Ford struggled early on, but many late signings have just slotted in.

20 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep, a good summary. I can see Pickersgill being given first shot at full back though if he is indeed staying given Pryce's' enthusiasm for him and he also strikes me as being the type of player Long will like because of his link-up skills.

As you say, every forum across SL and Championship has fans asking for a "big, nasty prop", which shows their scarcity.

We'e in pretty good shape I'd say to wait and see who comes available in terms of a third half back and maybe more middles and an outside back.

Still a bit puzzled by the multiple uses of the words "scrum half" in this thread...isn't the only difference between the two half backs these days that the "scrum half" rolls the ball to the loose forward's feet in the scrum? he doesn't even collect it from the scrum as the hooker does that. To me teams just have a left-side half back and a right-side half back.

We don't know how Long will see the likes of Bussey, Moors, Davies and Taylor, all of whom can play as middles or edge back row, as well as Hardcastle who can play back row or centre. So whether we need more middles or back rows depends on who they see playing where.

Agree re. Pickers, see above.

Totally agree about scrum half, stand off etc. It's obsolete. Perhaps in my head one half is more the general (scrum-half) and the other attacking the line and linking with the backs (stand-off), but its nonsense. Same "loose forward" 🤣

I do feel that once back rowers move into the middle for a while, they tend not to move back. I could see perhaps Bussey and Davies wide, but not Moors. Day & Bussey would be my starting BRs

23 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Don't know whether people think they're big and nasty, but Bulls have signed Lawrence from Giants and the and the Dogs got Kibula from Bulls

31 minutes ago, POR said:

Don't know whether people think they're big and nasty, but Bulls have signed Lawrence from Giants and the and the Dogs got Kibula from Bulls

The signing of Lawrence by the Bulls caught my eye - always been an admirer of his.

looks like championship will be closer next year as some good signings by the top end teams 

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Who is Taylor PH? What have I missed?! 

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Agree re. Pickers, see above.

Totally agree about scrum half, stand off etc. It's obsolete. Perhaps in my head one half is more the general (scrum-half) and the other attacking the line and linking with the backs (stand-off), but its nonsense. Same "loose forward" 🤣

I do feel that once back rowers move into the middle for a while, they tend not to move back. I could see perhaps Bussey and Davies wide, but not Moors. Day & Bussey would be my starting BRs

Back rowers ? Can we call them left and right edges for pitys sake.....

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

Back rowers ? Can we call them left and right edges for pitys sake.....

Yeah, the whole thing needs redoing tbh. I'm not a massive fan of edge, middle etc, but it's more accurate to use than prop, second-row etc.

Each to his own I guess.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yeah, the whole thing needs redoing tbh. I'm not a massive fan of edge, middle etc, but it's more accurate to use than prop, second-row etc.

Each to his own I guess.....

Just to clarify i was just joking and don't care what we call them - as long as we're talking about the same thing  !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Whilst I agree with those who say we need a 3rd half back, 

Funny thing with this 3rd half back conundrum sure Brandon P is listed as a fullback and standoff and if memory serves me right, he played 6 for the Bulls in 21 when we beat them at home 41-16

2 hours ago, POR said:

Funny thing with this 3rd half back conundrum sure Brandon P is listed as a fullback and standoff and if memory serves me right, he played 6 for the Bulls in 21 when we beat them at home 41-16

Equally, I seem to recall whilst Bulls fans were generally disappointed to see him leave, they pretty much universally felt he shouldn't be anywhere near stand off/one of the two halves. 😉

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb