2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

35 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Equally, I seem to recall whilst Bulls fans were generally disappointed to see him leave, they pretty much universally felt he shouldn't be anywhere near stand off/one of the two halves. 😉

Interesting G but don't forget these were the same fans who thought Lilley and Patten were going to rip up the league🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phil Briscoe said:

Got a call from someone from the club yesterday asking me to increase my squad builder monthly contribution. Apparently Long is assessing the squad and looking to bring a few more players in probably after Xmas.

Why P are they too heavy for Santa:kolobok_santa2:

• Haha 1

Whether or not Locky stays for another year - haven't we got at least 8 props / middles ?  It does always feel at this point that we could do with just one more rampaging forward but as it stands I think we're ok - for now. 

We have some quality three-quarters possibly loaded too much towards FB and centre (I would have kept Doyle as cover on the wing) but for me if we only sign two more players until the start of the season they would both be half backs....

If we're including Wildie as cover then last year we started with 6 half backs which increased to 7 when we signed Ford - although admittedly that signing was made when Holmes and Chizzy were unlikely to play for us again. I don't see how we can include Wildie as cover though - whilst he probably played his best rugby for us at half back in his first spell with us we have no cover at hooker and can't have Jones doing 80 minutes each week if we have an injury.  I hope that the Ford and Lacans experiment is a revelation but in reality we don't know much about Lacans and to say the jury's out regarding Ford is an understatement.  So for me - throw as many half backs at the squad as we can afford and hopefully a couple will stick.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Whether or not Locky stays for another year - haven't we got at least 8 props / middles ?  It does always feel at this point that we could do with just one more rampaging forward but as it stands I think we're ok - for now. 

We have some quality three-quarters possibly loaded too much towards FB and centre (I would have kept Doyle as cover on the wing) but for me if we only sign two more players until the start of the season they would both be half backs....

If we're including Wildie as cover then last year we started with 6 half backs which increased to 7 when we signed Ford - although admittedly that signing was made when Holmes and Chizzy were unlikely to play for us again. I don't see how we can include Wildie as cover though - whilst he probably played his best rugby for us at half back in his first spell with us we have no cover at hooker and can't have Jones doing 80 minutes each week if we have an injury.  I hope that the Ford and Lacans experiment is a revelation but in reality we don't know much about Lacans and to say the jury's out regarding Ford is an understatement.  So for me - throw as many half backs at the squad as we can afford and hopefully a couple will stick.....

Not disagreeing with you, byut not sure we need a winger.

If we start with Pickers at FB; then Killer gets fit, that puts Hally in the 3/4ers all year.

Wing: Briscoe, Gale, Hall.

Centre: Joey, Hankinson, Hardcastle.

We never know how it goes, but that looks good to start the year at least.

We do need a HB in my opinion.

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Not disagreeing with you, byut not sure we need a winger.

If we start with Pickers at FB; then Killer gets fit, that puts Hally in the 3/4ers all year.

Wing: Briscoe, Gale, Hall.

Centre: Joey, Hankinson, Hardcastle.

We never know how it goes, but that looks good to start the year at least.

We do need a HB in my opinion.

Yeah I was assuming that Hardcastle will now be primarily regarded as a back rower ?

Personally I don't like to see Hall on the wing.  He's a top player and one of the best still at this level but I don't think he has either the flying finish or crash bang finish to play on the wing and he sometimes runs out of space out there.  All about opinions though of course

52 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Yeah I was assuming that Hardcastle will now be primarily regarded as a back rower ?

Personally I don't like to see Hall on the wing.  He's a top player and one of the best still at this level but I don't think he has either the flying finish or crash bang finish to play on the wing and he sometimes runs out of space out there.  All about opinions though of course

Fair points.

Hardcastle is obviously an option at both centre and SR. There's some competition in the pack for a place.

Where are you going to play Hall?

Ha ha  it would be nice to think we have selection problems but history tells us that after a few games and injuries kick in the team starts to pick itself. 

That aside for me, ... Hall at FB then Briscoe, Leilua,  Hankinson, Gale.  Pickers as cover.  When Killer's fit he has to play but ask me again if we have to worry about who to drop by then lol..

• Like 1

We all know that Craig can play anywhere in the outside backs but in reality, if everyone is fit then it just becomes a toss-up between him and Gareth on the wing however if we signed a new winger, who you would assume he would be first choice where does he play then. The question also arises if Craig our designated goalkicker doesn't play who kicks the goals

All in all, the Craig H selection conundrum is going to be one of the hot topics all through the season

1 hour ago, POR said:

We all know that Craig can play anywhere in the outside backs but in reality, if everyone is fit then it just becomes a toss-up between him and Gareth on the wing however if we signed a new winger, who you would assume he would be first choice where does he play then. The question also arises if Craig our designated goalkicker doesn't play who kicks the goals

All in all, the Craig H selection conundrum is going to be one of the hot topics all through the season

Hankinson has kicked for Toulouse in the past I seem to remember and Killer (when fit) can kick as well- but that said I’d always have Hally back n my team in some way shape or form- too good to leave out

• Like 2

Hally's versatility, and the (free-scoring) quality he brings to wherever he plays, makes him one of the first names on the team sheet.

Anyone seriously suggesting he might not be part of the starting 13 is guilty of McDermott-esque levels of woeful judgement re our playing group.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Adam B said:

Hally's versatility, and the (free-scoring) quality he brings to wherever he plays, makes him one of the first names on the team sheet.

Anyone seriously suggesting he might not be part of the starting 13 is guilty of McDermott-esque levels of woeful judgement re our playing group.

Agreed. His reading of the game in attack is first class. We score a lot of tries because he’s in the side even if he doesn’t score them himself.

23 minutes ago, Normy_Rover said:
Not the most reliable source 

That's true N according to wigan regarding Mago

The 26-year-old has put pen to paper on a two-year contract and will remain with Wigan until at least the end of the 2023 season, with the option of a third year.

Gigot  is Sean's type of scrum half.not stifled by not wanting to make a mistake.He does play off the cuff and has more than the average mistake in his game.But he has pace and is a bit like Chizzy in  that respect.We could do worse with not many about.Jacks was ok and dangerous a couple of times a game in the opponents 25m area but didn't put enough in over the full 80 min.

• Like 1

I wait with anticipation who our number 7 will be.Or as other people say half.Edges middles  give me the squad number 1-17 back .A good middle will also cover the edges if they follow the game and anticipate the play patterns.A good left edge will make a tackle on the right if he is switched on to the plays.I use John Davies as an example how many times is he in the right place at the right time.It's not by accident.

• Like 1