2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

Bottom line  Joey scores and creates tries when there's nowt on he terrifies defences  when he has the ball who have to gang up on him to try and stop him which creates offloading opportunities and when he runs without the ball  he still  terrifies defences and makes them move out of position creating chances for others unfortunately Craig doesn't so when it comes to selection J or C it's Joey every day of the week

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RobLambert said:

What on earth did Joey do last season to become a nailed on starter ahead of Hall ?  Are we basing this on Hall's age and the fact that we paying Joey so much or basing it on performances on the pitch ?  If it's the latter clearly I know nothing.  Maybe Joey shed 5 stone and Hall had a leg amputated in the off-season.

To me this is miles wide of the mark. I've seen plenty of posts on social media suggesting Joey was "lazy" or "disinterested" but if it's a straight comparison with Hall in that respect, Joey had far more carries than Hall when they both played.

He made the odd error of judgement in defence, but I dread to think what the reaction had been if he had defended like Hall did on some occasions - check out Woodburn-Hall's 2nd try (in the 2nd half) away at Halifax (and Matty Wildie's reaction to Hall's effort), or for Spedding's 1st try at Widnes.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved what Hall has done at Fev overall and he might still be a big contributor for us this year. And if people think Leilua wasn't as good as they'd hoped he would be, that's fair enough. I just don't like it when players seem to be held to different levels of accountability.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the chances of Lockwood featuring regularly shouldn't be discounted. Long knows him from his previous stint here (was it Long's arrival that brought about the extra year for Locky?) and was fulsome in his praise after the Cas game..."Locky was outstanding, he set the tone of the game for us, he's our captain".

Well said Longy that’s exactly what I posted about Locky’s efforts in the first 30 mins!👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Really hard to pick a team, but I’d go for :

Aekins Briscoe Leillua Hankinson Evans 

Ford Dean

Kopczak Willie Cozza Bussey Moors Taylor

Interchange Jones Springer Yei Hardcastle

Looking to use Jones and the props once the fiz has gone from the game. Hardcastle a great utility player.

Interesting M no Brad D

On 06/01/2023 at 16:28, Daft old hooker said:

It will be a long old season and I’m sure everyone will be needed at some point. 

I agree D but I'm hoping sean picks what he thinks is his strongest 13 and where possible we can stick with them every week and  I would also like to try and  keep the same 14 and 15 every week and then rotate 16 and 17 with the rest

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, POR said:

I agree D but I'm hoping sean picks what he thinks is his strongest 13 and where possible we can stick with them every week and  I would also like to try and  keep the same 14 and 15 every week and then rotate 16 and 17 with the rest

Definitely unfortunately there is no room for sentiment you have to play your best team week in week out but there will be injuries and absences so players will need to be ready to come in so like you say there will need to be some rotation. I would expect to see some players going out on loan to keep up match fitness.

22 minutes ago, POR said:

Exactly what leigh did last season, the rest is history. 

33 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Exactly what leigh did last season, the rest is history. 

Unfortunately G there are boat loads of FEV fans who sit in their FEV tinted glasses and always  want the coach to pick their favourite players and moan when they don't

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, POR said:

Unfortunately G there are boat loads of FEV fans who sit in their FEV tinted glasses and always  want the coach to pick their favourite players and moan when they don't

Every club will have them not just Fev,but the coach as the final say.

• Like 1

1.aitkens

2.briscoe 

3.leilua 

4.hankinson 

5.hall 

6.Ford 

7.lacans

8.koppy 

9.Jones 

10.moors 

11.bussey 

12.Day 

13.Taylor 

14.Wildie 

15.Cozza 

16.Davies 

17.Springer 

that would be my 1-17 when everyone is fit maybe evans and yei could force they way in but are both unproven in my eyes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovers fev said:

maybe evans and yei could force they way in but are both unproven in my eyes 

Sorry R Evans and Yei haven't been signed to force there way in and both of the unproven 2 both scored in the world cup

Edited by POR

22 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I've tried a couple of times to come up with what I'd have as my preferred 17 from our squad and every time I have to leave out at least two players that I really want to include. Amongst our forwards, in particular, I don't think there's much between about eight of them.

There will be injuries and probably suspensions so i reckon they'll all get a game at some point,but fully fit (hopefully) it is going to be hard pleasing everyone. Players and fans lol.

1 minute ago, Fevrover said:

There will be injuries and probably suspensions so i reckon they'll all get a game at some point,but fully fit (hopefully) it is going to be hard pleasing everyone. Players and fans lol.

Indeed. I was listening to MarkLasPalmas of this parish in his analyst role in the Cas game commentary on RoversTV (where he was very good btw I reckoned) and he mentioned Luke Cooper who despite probably not being in most people's first 17 when everyone is fit, played 25 games last year, it's rare a team has a charmed life with injuries especially amongst the forwards.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rovers fev said:

1.aitkens

2.briscoe 

3.leilua 

4.hankinson 

5.hall 

6.Ford 

7.lacans

8.koppy 

9.Jones 

10.moors 

11.bussey 

12.Day 

13.Taylor 

14.Wildie 

15.Cozza 

16.Davies 

17.Springer 

that would be my 1-17 when everyone is fit maybe evans and yei could force they way in but are both unproven in my eyes 

Yeah that’s a good side but it’s all a matter of opinion, personally Yei and Evans would be my 17 just not sure between Lacans and Dean for SH. But ultimately Longy’s opinion is the one that matters.

37 minutes ago, Daft old hooker said:

Yeah that’s a good side but it’s all a matter of opinion, personally Yei and Evans would be my 17 just not sure between Lacans and Dean for SH. But ultimately Longy’s opinion is the one that matters.

I wouldn’t be suprised if we see more of the lacans and dean combo rather than one of them being fords under study 

would be nice of dean does play well to get him on a permanent not seen a consistent half under 25 perform and stay with us for some time 

• Like 1