2023 Squad

marklaspalmas

24 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I see that Jake Mamo has been released by Cas. Wonder if he’s an option for us, with Hankinson being out for a lengthy period?.

Versatile can cover centre ,wing or full back positions.Think we are well covered in the forwards so he could be a possibility.If Riley is going to yo yo between us and Wolves we may need another half back.

13 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Versatile can cover centre ,wing or full back positions.Think we are well covered in the forwards so he could be a possibility.If Riley is going to yo yo between us and Wolves we may need another half back.

Would add some real cutting edge and pace to the backs. A bit of a maverick, but that could work well with Long. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I see that Jake Mamo has been released by Cas. Wonder if he’s an option for us, with Hankinson being out for a lengthy period?.

CASTLEFORD TIGERS interim coach Andy Last has confirmed that Jake Mamo has NOT left the Super League club.

“He’s not left the club, he’s injured at the moment,” Last said.

News from one of our old mates

FORMER Super League forward Gareth Hock has been charged by police over multiple alleged offences. He  has been charged with controlling and coercive behaviour as well as two driving offences.

Matt Shaw reporting that Halifax are closing in on signing Brandon Pickersgill. TBH hard to see him getting a game with us with Aekins hopefully back soon, Kheirallah not far away and Hall selected in front of him on Sunday.

Mind you there's no chance he gets in to the Fax team in front of Woodburn-Hall but Fax have very little depth so makes more sense for him to be a reserve there than here.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/halifax-panthers-close-featherstone-rovers-26493646

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

9 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Sounds like we might be freeing up some cash for a half back

Don't really understand the clamour for another half back - later on in the season maybe and especially if it Warrington get an injury that makes it look likely that Dean will be recalled.

But Long said on Sunday that Ford would be out for 6 weeks, and whilst I've said all along that Lacans would be our third half back, he's been fine in that role in my view and had some good moments on Sunday. Lcans and Dean should be fine as our half back partnership until Ford is ready.

If Pickersgill is allowed to leave it's surely just a reflection of the fact that he's our 4th choice full back and doesn't really have the versatility to play elsewhere.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Matt Shaw reporting that Halifax are closing in on signing Brandon Pickersgill. TBH hard to see him getting a game with us with Aekins hopefully back soon, Kheirallah not far away and Hall selected in front of him on Sunday.

Mind you there's no chance he gets in to the Fax team in front of Woodburn-Hall but Fax have very little depth so makes more sense for him to be a reserve there than here.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/halifax-panthers-close-featherstone-rovers-26493646

Now confirmed.

Really wasn't much point him staying with us, he might be waiting for injuries at Fax too mind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Apparently, Forde out for approximately 12 weeks and Springer has done his hamstring, so also a long lay off. Sounds like Killer could be back soon.

"up to 12 weeks, but is hoping to be back sooner" if it's the Love Rugby League report? Frustratingly Ford's microphone was inaudible when he was on co-comms on sunday so we couldn't hear what his answer was when George Riley asked him about his injury. We do know it's an MCL rather than an ACL.

As for Springer there are varying degrees of hamstring injury so it's difficult to predict, we've already had Davies and Aekins return much more quickly than initially forecast so they must have just been grade 1s, if it's a partial or complete muscle tear then obviously that's a much longer recovery time. Unlucky for Springer and us because he's been playing well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Apparently, Forde out for approximately 12 weeks and Springer has done his hamstring, so also a long lay off. Sounds like Killer could be back soon.

To be fair M watched it back Gadwin took the ball in  then he stood and rubbed the back of his leg NO histrionics he just walked off and don't forget we had all this before with Caleb done his hamstring  going to be out for  weeks but he missed two games bulls then fax although he was named in squad so maybe just maybe he's another  caleb 

and other news

The former Great Britain and England rugby league player Gareth Hock has been charged with rape.

Edited by POR

28 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Someone has to make a decision at some point this season to build a SL team or not.  Leigh have shown us how it's done. 

If we don't do it ourselves this season do you think we will be admitted under the grading system.Not a cat in hell's chance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lingaro said:

Someone has to make a decision at some point this season to build a SL team or not.  Leigh have shown us how it's done. 

Yep, by having a mega-wealthy owner who was able and willing to spend as much as many SL teams. If anyone finds an extra half million or so down the back of the sofa tonight I'm sure Mr Campbell would be interested!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If we don't do it ourselves this season do you think we will be admitted under the grading system.Not a cat in hell's chance.

I think we’re in a good position to be admitted under the new arrangements. I certainly think we’d out score Wakey and TOXIII. Potentially similar score to Leigh and Cas. 

8 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

I think we’re in a good position to be admitted under the new arrangements. I certainly think we’d out score Wakey and TOXIII. Potentially similar score to Leigh and Cas. 

They won't want a little pit village between Wakey and Cas in SL.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

They won't want a little pit village between Wakey and Cas in SL.

I've seen posts on both Wakefield and Cas social media/forums suggesting it's time to start talking about mergers again. I haven't seen anything like that for donkey's years, wonder why that's suddenly starting now 🤔🙄

From what Mark Campbell has said I don't think he fancies our chances of getting into SL on the IMG criteria. This year may be our last realistic shot, but as well as the difficulties in getting there in the first place, it would be a massive ask for whatever team gets promoted in October to build a team that wouldn't be in a similar position to Wakefield's current one.

That will then be seized upon by the franchising zealots as proof that promotion and relegation don't work, whereas the reality is that it's the first season that's the real obstacle unless you have the resources to build a SL squad in the Championship as Leigh did last year.

I'm actually not against some sort of quasi-franchising system as long as it's not weighted in favour of the current incumbents and as long as it gives significant weight to clubs that have been progressive both on and off the field.

11 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep, by having a mega-wealthy owner who was able and willing to spend as much as many SL teams. If anyone finds an extra half million or so down the back of the sofa tonight I'm sure Mr Campbell would be interested!

He's been quoted many times stating that he is willing and able to spend the full SL salary cap.  

Just now, lingaro said:

He's been quoted many times stating that he is willing and able to spend the full SL salary cap.  

Surely he's said that specifically in relation to if we get into Super League, at which point we'd get something like £1.8 million in central funding compared to about £200k (both guesses on my part but probably not far off)?