Jake Connor

Jughead

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Linked to Huddersfield, according to John Davidson. 

It would be quite the statement from Smith to move Connor on within his first week in the role but equally, I don’t think it’s the kind of person Watson would be keen on at Huddersfield. 

I think Connor is too much of a maverick player for Ian Watson, but i would be slightly surprised if Tony Smith moved him on as Smith likes the off the cuff player, and Jake Connor would fit that role, but hey what do i know

After taking over at Hull FC, Tony Smith said of Jake Connor :

"He can do things that no other SL player can do"

It would seem, therefore, an odd decision to ship him out to Huddersfield.

But nothing would surprise me at the moment...aside from this obviously...

• Like 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

5 minutes ago, LeeF said:

The article implies it’s a travelling issue hence no doubt the Huddersfield link but have they got the spare in their cap?

Maybe he will link up with his travel buddy from this season Luke Gale?

I hope so, I dont want that over aged hasbeen anywhere near Wakey

I'd be interested to see what Connor did if he went to Salford with their "play what you see and give it a go" philosophy.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'd be interested to see what Connor did if he went to Salford with their "play what you see and give it a go" philosophy.

He wouldn't fit in, Salford play to a Paul Rowley pattern if you haven't noticed, he just doesn't send them out to just do their own thing, it is very much orchestrated and structured and spent practised relentlessly on the training ground, playing football like Salford are doing just doesn't happen by chance.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

He wouldn't fit in, Salford play to a Paul Rowley pattern if you haven't noticed, he just doesn't send them out to just do their own thing, it is very much orchestrated and structured and spent practised relentlessly on the training ground, playing football like Salford are doing just doesn't happen by chance.

'Arry, sometimes I think you just enjoy arguing. 

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

'Arry, sometimes I think you just enjoy arguing. 

So I take it you don't agree?

I have watched training sessions of Paul Rowley team's and it is no fluke that there is nearly always someone available to pass to, and player's who you would not believe could pass a ball as it was never in their make up are worked on to give them that skill.

If i was Smith i would bang him in the centres. It would be a good move for him and us.

If he won't play there he can go for me.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Connor and Lee Briers are not the same sort of player or person, but based on what Smith did to improve Briers's later career I'd expect Smith to see Connor as an exciting challenge rather than a problem to be shipped out.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Connor and Lee Briers are not the same sort of player or person, but based on what Smith did to improve Briers's later career I'd expect Smith to see Connor as an exciting challenge rather than a problem to be shipped out.

That's my view too. Smith loves the challenge of improving players, and he will know Connor could be a huge asset if he can just polish out a few flaws in his game. 

Connor might be moving on, but if he is I don't think it's a case of Smith wanting rid. It's more likely that he wants a move and we are cashing in whilst he still has a year left on his contract.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MZH said:

That's my view too. Smith loves the challenge of improving players, and he will know Connor could be a huge asset if he can just polish out a few flaws in his game. 

Connor might be moving on, but if he is I don't think it's a case of Smith wanting rid. It's more likely that he wants a move and we are cashing in whilst he still has a year left on his contract.

There's a big difference in improving a young player who has technical aspects of his game that need work and someone like Connor. With him its not ability, its attitude.

When things aren't going their way he's usually the first to either sulk & disappear completely in a game or run around like a headless chicken and do something stupid that gets him binned or sent off. He's also lazy in most games with a terrible workrate, and as a FB his defence is awful. I've never seen a FB do as many disappearing acts when the opposition score tries as Connor does.

I think the big question is, if he leaves Hull - who would want him, certainly at the kind of money he'd be looking to get ?? 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

He's also lazy in most games with a terrible workrate, and as a FB his defence is awful. I've never seen a FB do as many disappearing acts when the opposition score tries as Connor does.

He’s the new Darius Boyd. Shame for Connor that Bennett isn’t still the England manager, because on the evidence of his obsession wit Boyd over the years he would probably have made Jake the England captain 😀

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

10 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

There's a big difference in improving a young player who has technical aspects of his game that need work and someone like Connor. With him its not ability, its attitude.

When things aren't going their way he's usually the first to either sulk & disappear completely in a game or run around like a headless chicken and do something stupid that gets him binned or sent off. He's also lazy in most games with a terrible workrate, and as a FB his defence is awful. I've never seen a FB do as many disappearing acts when the opposition score tries as Connor does.

I think the big question is, if he leaves Hull - who would want him, certainly at the kind of money he'd be looking to get ?? 

It's amazing how he divides opinion. A lot of Hull fans would say he is one of the few players who truly cares. He hates losing, and gets frustrated with his teammates attitude and lack of effort.

Whatever stops Connor being picked for England, it shouldn't be his demeanour or a poor disciplinary record. The latter is a myth and the former is the same whether everything is going for him or going against him.

If we are also saying he's lazy, do we mean he could have come up 50 try assists instead of 30-odd? I'd still take the latter. He opens up defences on either side of the field like nobody else in Super League. He shouldn't play at fullback because of his defence but he ought to still get a look in for England at halfback (ideally playing second receiver) or centre.

Wherever (if) he goes, he'll deliver some world class magic with ball in hand but I can't see him ever fixing his physical shape up or sorting out his defence.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Whatever stops Connor being picked for England, it shouldn't be his demeanour or a poor disciplinary record. The latter is a myth and the former is the same whether everything is going for him or going against him.

If we are also saying he's lazy, do we mean he could have come up 50 try assists instead of 30-odd? I'd still take the latter. He opens up defences on either side of the field like nobody else in Super League. He shouldn't play at fullback because of his defence but he ought to still get a look in for England at halfback (ideally playing second receiver) or centre.

Wherever (if) he goes, he'll deliver some world class magic with ball in hand but I can't see him ever fixing his physical shape up or sorting out his defence.

Yes I agree with this. Where a coach can help is in improving his choices on the field at different stages of the game: when to wind up the opposition and when to attempt a miracle pass. He is quite good at both but occasionally it seems to me that his timing is out or he doesn't play the situation.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

19 hours ago, Jughead said:

I don’t think it’s the kind of person Watson would be keen on at Huddersfield. 

Agreed. Watson wants structure and process. He especially wants it from a full back in terms of defensive structure......Jake is a maverick who I imagine isn't going to stick to a plan 

If he's a flair half back however in a well structured side maybe they can cope with him but can he do the same thing and still make the tackles he would need to as well

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

That assumes Connor wants to listen to Smith and to improve as a player

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

I agree, he’s a 6 rather than a 1, or perhaps an old fashioned ball playing centre in the Hanley mould. Great player, in the wrong position - although I’m not sure you’re right downplaying his discipline, even if he doesn’t have a bad record on paper you can see his mood impact other people around him all the time 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?