Jake Connor

Jughead

47 minutes ago, LeeF said:

That assumes Connor wants to listen to Smith and to improve as a player

It does indeed. Most players who reach the professional level haven't ended up there by accident and will have improved and listened to coaches for the vast majority, if not all, of their time playing rugby league. It seems fair to assume Connor will want both of those things.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

That assumes Connor wants to listen to Smith and to improve as a player

This is another common assumption about Connor that simply isn't true. The guy might be a loose cannon on the field sometimes. But he loves rugby league and learning about the game and working on his own skills. I've seen interviews with his team mates saying he bores everyone to death because he just wants to talk rugby 24/7. If he is staying at Hull he will be excited to work with Smith and learn from an experienced coach I'm sure.

• Like 1

If Connor stays I will be really interested to see how Smith changes his game (if he does).

Also understand in a salary cap sport where we are near the full cap that Jake leaving would free up a big piece of the pie and for the greater good of the squad this may well be needed.

Personally hope Smith gets to coach a side with Connor pivotal to it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

He wouldn't fit in, Salford play to a Paul Rowley pattern if you haven't noticed, he just doesn't send them out to just do their own thing, it is very much orchestrated and structured and spent practised relentlessly on the training ground, playing football like Salford are doing just doesn't happen by chance.

If you hear any interview with the 3 spine players they spend a lot of time discussing and practicing those "off the cuff plays"  exchanging messages etc. I think that proves your point.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

He’s the new Darius Boyd. Shame for Connor that Bennett isn’t still the England manager, because on the evidence of his obsession wit Boyd over the years he would probably have made Jake the England captain 😀

Aye Bennett signed Boyd 4 times but he also played 28 times for Queensland and 23 times for Australia so other coaches must have also liked what he had to offer.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aye Bennett signed Boyd 4 times but he also played 28 times for Queensland and 23 times for Australia so other coaches must have also liked what he had to offer.

Yup he was an attacking threat early in his career. But an absolute turnstile. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 13/09/2022 at 19:59, Old Frightful said:

After taking over at Hull FC, Tony Smith said of Jake Connor :

"He can do things that no other SL player can do"

It would seem, therefore, an odd decision to ship him out to Huddersfield.

But nothing would surprise me at the moment...aside from this obviously...

He certainly can't tackle which is a bit of a gap for a FB

23 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So I take it you don't agree?

I have watched training sessions of Paul Rowley team's and it is no fluke that there is nearly always someone available to pass to, and player's who you would not believe could pass a ball as it was never in their make up are worked on to give them that skill.

No, I don't disagree, I'm undecided. I just don't know how he'd get on.

I do like Jake Connor and I think he could make a good fist of it anywhere.

I was just engaging in a bit of leg pulling.

After all these years, you get the feeling you know someone.

I hope you don't mind a bit of banter?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

No, I don't disagree, I'm undecided. I just don't know how he'd get on.

I do like Jake Connor and I think he could make a good fist of it anywhere.

I was just engaging in a bit of leg pulling.

After all these years, you get the feeling you know someone.

I hope you don't mind a bit of banter?

Not at all, I am not one of those who likes to give it - which I do - but can't take it back.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Watch back the 4-36 Rovers for a total Jake Connor horror show. Putrid.

Haha...a thread about Jake Connor and the bookies stopped taking odds a long time ago as to which poster would bring the derby result into it.

Putrid.

• Haha 2
With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

On 13/09/2022 at 18:26, The Future is League said:

I think Connor is too much of a maverick player for Ian Watson, but i would be slightly surprised if Tony Smith moved him on as Smith likes the off the cuff player, and Jake Connor would fit that role, but hey what do i know

smith likes structure also he does not like the kind of chirping to the rf stuff connor is famous for so i can see him moving him on .

given the number of new players in and connor been on big money perhaps smith needs to get room under the cap for another big signing

Edited by paul hicks

I don’t watch enough of Jake Connor to have a judgement on his defence or if he can’t tackle, but why would you move a full back that only has to make 10 tackles a game into the centres where he will make 20 and have to make split second decisions on his positioning?

• Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 19:07, paul hicks said:

smith likes structure also he does not like the kind of chirping to the rf stuff connor is famous for so i can see him moving him on .

To be fair, Connor doesn't do much chirping to the ref, if that's what you meant.

He saves 99% of his chirping for opposition players.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

4 hours ago, The Vet said:

I don’t watch enough of Jake Connor to have a judgement on his defence or if he can’t tackle, but why would you move a full back that only has to make 10 tackles a game into the centres where he will make 20 and have to make split second decisions on his positioning?

Agree with this. It's nonsense to say x can't tackle so he shouldn't play full back. In a team that is defensively well organised a full back should only need to make a handful of tackles per game. As you say a poor defender is much more likely to be exposed playing at centre. Fwiw I think Connor is a reasonable defender. His problem is that he lacks pace, so when a speedster breaks the line he is often left clutching at thin air.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MZH said:

Agree with this. It's nonsense to say x can't tackle so he shouldn't play full back. In a team that is defensively well organised a full back should only need to make a handful of tackles per game. As you say a poor defender is much more likely to be exposed playing at centre. Fwiw I think Connor is a reasonable defender. His problem is that he lacks pace, so when a speedster breaks the line he is often left clutching at thin air.

I think it's a sensible point but you also have to take into account that defending at fullback and defending in the centres requires different attributes. As you mention, at fullback Connor's lack of pack seems to leave him exposed and from what I've seen of him he sometimes has a tendency to try to commit to a tackle early even if he's not going to make it rather than chase back and get outpaced. There's also the positioning aspect of defending at fullback but probably more importantly the ability to communicate and organise the defensive line. If that part of a fullback's game is weak then that's a big negative no matter how dangerous they are in attack.

Connor might actually be more capable of defending in the centres where lateral movement and decision making is generally more important than pace and tackling more likely to be front on. Having said that, it's been a while since I saw Connor play centre so can't remember whether he was particularly good there when defending.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I think it's a sensible point but you also have to take into account that defending at fullback and defending in the centres requires different attributes. As you mention, at fullback Connor's lack of pack seems to leave him exposed and from what I've seen of him he sometimes has a tendency to try to commit to a tackle early even if he's not going to make it rather than chase back and get outpaced. There's also the positioning aspect of defending at fullback but probably more importantly the ability to communicate and organise the defensive line. If that part of a fullback's game is weak then that's a big negative no matter how dangerous they are in attack.

Connor might actually be more capable of defending in the centres where lateral movement and decision making is generally more important than pace and tackling more likely to be front on. Having said that, it's been a while since I saw Connor play centre so can't remember whether he was particularly good there when defending.

Fair points. It's just a very simplistic view that a lot of people seem to have that if you aren't a good tackler you shouldn't play full back. As you mention, positional play and being able to organise the line are much more important.