SL player you dislike the most due to them "allegedly" play acting and receiving penalties?

12 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

no it isn't, certainly not any more than it ever was. Players are under far more scrutiny now. 

The play acting , the throwing your arms around , the complaining to the ref , the ‘ milking ‘ of the regulations to me is far far worse than I can remember and I’m going back 40 years . And the scrutiny you mention to a big degree is the problem . In a search for consistency and accuracy we are microanalysing the game and along with more and more restrictive rules you end up watching , officiating and playing a game that , in my opinion , is a lesser spectacle because of it . However worthy the aims . And players will naturally say ‘ if that’s how it is , we’ll play that game ‘ . 

18 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Up at the top it has to be Lee Gaskell, the single biggest play acting professional RL player I think I've ever seen.

A close second, Alex Walmsley, throws his arms up and stares at the ref nearly every time he plays the ball.

But special mention to Jack Wellsby, who has unfortunately earned the nickname of "The Milkman" in some areas of social media.

Not far away, Mahe Fonua at Cas, although he did plenty of his antics while at Hull FC.

Any other offers?

Nay lad ! you start a thread like this and your opening suggestion is gaskell, I thought it was about SL players.

16 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Morgan Smithies?

What about him?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

34 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The play acting , the throwing your arms around , the complaining to the ref , the ‘ milking ‘ of the regulations to me is far far worse than I can remember and I’m going back 40 years . And the scrutiny you mention to a big degree is the problem . In a search for consistency and accuracy we are microanalysing the game and along with more and more restrictive rules you end up watching , officiating and playing a game that , in my opinion , is a lesser spectacle because of it . However worthy the aims . And players will naturally say ‘ if that’s how it is , we’ll play that game ‘ . 

sometimes probably about 40 years ago somebody decided that it would be a great idea if players when tackled could get up really quickly, the acting half back be promptly in position along with the support players in order to catch the markers and defenders on the wrong foot, out of position, or even offside when the ball was played. Later, probably the next day, somebody decided that it would be a good idea to delay the tackled player rising to his feet in order that the markers could be set and the defenders be in position, maybe even causing the tackled player to drop the ball or make a poor decision in his/her frustration. The next day someone thought that it would be a good idea for the tackled player to wriggle around on the floor as if someone had speared her/him to the ground and for the marker to raise their arms despairingly and look imploringly at the ref. Watch any game from forty years ago onwards and you will see this. it would happen at just about every tackle and happens much less nowadays. For instance you can watch just about any footage of Shaun Edwards for a master class in it; and that's no disrespect to Edwards, he's just a prominent example. 

11 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

sometimes probably about 40 years ago somebody decided that it would be a great idea if players when tackled could get up really quickly, the acting half back be promptly in position along with the support players in order to catch the markers and defenders on the wrong foot, out of position, or even offside when the ball was played. Later, probably the next day, somebody decided that it would be a good idea to delay the tackled player rising to his feet in order that the markers could be set and the defenders be in position, maybe even causing the tackled player to drop the ball or make a poor decision in his/her frustration. The next day someone thought that it would be a good idea for the tackled player to wriggle around on the floor as if someone had speared her/him to the ground and for the marker to raise their arms despairingly and look imploringly at the ref. Watch any game from forty years ago onwards and you will see this. it would happen at just about every tackle and happens much less nowadays. For instance you can watch just about any footage of Shaun Edwards for a master class in it; and that's no disrespect to Edwards, he's just a prominent example. 

I’ve no idea what you’re point is but it bears no resemblance to what I was talking about 

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He does what you said quite often.

So what?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Nay lad ! you start a thread like this and your opening suggestion is gaskell, I thought it was about SL players.

To be fair to the mighty Trin, the first episode was when he threw himself to the floor while playing for Hudds at Hull KR which led to a perfectly good try for Hull KR being disallowed The second episode was at Wakey's ground earlier this season when Jake Connor was caught off balance and threw out a reactionary arm which barely touched Gaskell who then threw his head back, collapsed in a heap, only to regain his feet once Connor had been sent off.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

We can argue whether it is wise or not but even if it is wise, it is still rubbish.  Those two are not mutually exclusive. 

I'm with Trent Robinson and Aaron Woods on this one.  Don't stay down looking for the video ref to give you  penalty. 

I like Aaron Woods' solution.

For me, if you lay down you’re straight off for HIA - 15 minutes off the field. Any time someone tries to lay down thinking they’re trying to milk something, just take them off and it’ll stop players from doing it.

After all, if you are unable to play the ball after a high shot, you should go for a HIA.

you might be able to play the ball after a high shot and still have a major injury  that has not manifested itself or might be delayed. A player might have a spinal injury, or an injury to another part of his body that requires immobilisation. A HIA would hardly be appropriate for someone with say, a possible/probable leg injury. 

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

To be fair to the mighty Trin, the first episode was when he threw himself to the floor while playing for Hudds at Hull KR which led to a perfectly good try for Hull KR being disallowed The second episode was at Wakey's ground earlier this season when Jake Connor was caught off balance and threw out a reactionary arm which barely touched Gaskell who then threw his head back, collapsed in a heap, only to regain his feet once Connor had been sent off.

Yes remember the last one well, that turned the game for us .

Anyhow if you have managed to send Luke gale to us, you will have gained your justified revenge 10 times over😂👍

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Well I'm flummoxed. No one has mentioned our very own Sir George Flanagan. 😐😐

The obvious one is Chris Joynt for his voluntary tackle in the Grand Final. 🙃🙃🙃😂

it wasn't a voluntary tackle. For it to have been a voluntary tackle, he would have had to go down and get up and play the ball without being touched. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

you might be able to play the ball after a high shot and still have a major injury  that has not manifested itself or might be delayed. A player might have a spinal injury, or an injury to another part of his body that requires immobilisation. A HIA would hardly be appropriate for someone with say, a possible/probable leg injury. 

We are not discussing forcing players to play the ball who are injured.  We are discussing discouraging players from pretending to be unable to play the ball when they are not injured. 

Having to leave the field for 15 minutes will absolutely discourage this behaviour. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I'm with Trent Robinson and Aaron Woods on this one.  Don't stay down looking for the video ref to give you  penalty. 

I like Aaron Woods' solution.

For me, if you lay down you’re straight off for HIA - 15 minutes off the field. Any time someone tries to lay down thinking they’re trying to milk something, just take them off and it’ll stop players from doing it.

After all, if you are unable to play the ball after a high shot, you should go for a HIA.

Introduce that and Lattrell Mitchell would be 'on & off' more times than a red light in a whore house 😁

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

We are not discussing forcing players to play the ball who are injured.  We are discussing discouraging players from pretending to be unable to play the ball when they are not injured. 

Having to leave the field for 15 minutes will absolutely discourage this behaviour. 

I know what you are saying. I don't disagree that strongly. I'm just acutely aware that player welfare is paramount.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Street said:

I know what you are saying. I don't disagree that strongly. I'm just acutely aware that player welfare is paramount.

That's the beauty of it.  The player is taken off for a HIA because he is unable to play the ball... it is absolutely with player welfare in mind.

Of course, he could complain and say he was OK and only pretending! And next time he may not pretend.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

35 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's the beauty of it.  The player is taken off for a HIA because he is unable to play the ball... it is absolutely with player welfare in mind.

Of course, he could complain and say he was OK and only pretending! And next time he may not pretend.

We have seen instances in the NRL where a player has stayed down after minimal contact and been removed for a HIA by the independent doctor who has gone by the reaction of that player . Said player looks pretty disgusted at being taken off . But it’s good viewing .