What products are clearly overpriced but we still buy them?

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Beer 😉

Champagne. We have a contact who gets us good stuff at 25 or 30 a bottle depending on Rose or not. Because it's such a good deal, we always say yes. I've close to 20 bottles now for some reason. 

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

30 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Thread title says it all really. 

Any current kilowatt hour (kWh) of power.

Lamb shanks: a humble cut of meat that got fashionable enough over the last couple of decades to price itself out of the range of sensible people.

Any Starbucks product other than their weirdly decent coffee grinders.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bottled water. I haven't bought any in years, since I was out in a heatwave and really needed it. Scary prices! Czech/Polish shops seem to have the best prices if you absolutely need a bottle.

However, the tap water where I live is rather nasty, so I do use a water filter.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Bearman said:

Printer ink

This one comes up a lot when this question is asked. I'm not an authority on it seen as I don't print much and the once a year I do print something I just go to the library but I do know a photographer who prints a lot; he has a printer with 11 different ink cartridges in it and should just one of them run out then the machine won't let him print anything even if the empty colour isn't needed. Apparently even printing black and white, the printer adds a little bit of blue into it, claiming it makes it a nicer shade of black but it's clearly just the printer company wanting more money. I seem to think it costs him the best part of a grand to replace all the cartridges. 

Edit. Don't know if it's true or not but I read the other day that printer ink is actually more expensive than crude oil these days. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Bottled water. I haven't bought any in years, since I was out in a heatwave and really needed it. Scary prices! Czech/Polish shops seem to have the best prices if you absolutely need a bottle.

However, the tap water where I live is rather nasty, so I do use a water filter.

Similar here. OK to drink but firs the kettle and scums the tea. We use a filter system that fits under the sink. Water flows through two filter cartridges and into a third tap mounted on the sink. The cartridges last us about 4 months at present but we are heavy users . Pre retirement used to last 6 months. Pozzani filters, Louth.

Edited by JohnM

7 hours ago, Damien said:

Razor blades.

I clicked on to say that.  By far the most overpriced item on the shop shelves for what they are.

I am grown a beard now cause I'm a tight ######.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This one comes up a lot when this question is asked. I'm not an authority on it seen as I don't print much and the once a year I do print something I just go to the library but I do know a photographer who prints a lot; he has a printer with 11 different ink cartridges in it and should just one of them run out then the machine won't let him print anything even if the empty colour isn't needed. Apparently even printing black and white, the printer adds a little bit of blue into it, claiming it makes it a nicer shade of black but it's clearly just the printer company wanting more money. I seem to think it costs him the best part of a grand to replace all the cartridges. 

Edit. Don't know if it's true or not but I read the other day that printer ink is actually more expensive than crude oil these days. 

I used to visit a company that needed printers  at the end of the production line to produce certificates as the product came off the line. Instaed of having a cupboard full of ink cartridges they had a cupboard full of printers, they could buy a printer with a full set of cartridges cheaper than buying replacement cartridges. They ran the printers until the ink ran out, binned the printer and installed a new one.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

As a fiscally prudent Yorkshireman I truly believe that every product that I buy is overpriced!

Don't they have bargain bins in Adelaide?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

They do but all the stuff they sell is still overpriced ######!

Everything is overpriced in NZ. I recall a chat here with deluded pom when he frequented this site. He noted how costly things were here on a trip he had just made of the country.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Donner (doner?) kebabs. One newly opened place down here is selling them for around £15 a pop. A 10p pitta bread, fractions of onion, tomato and cabbage and some mystery meat. I Googled the cost price of these "elephants legs" that contain the "meat" and found they are remarkably cheap, around £4 a kilo and in many cases substantially less. No wonder there are thousands of them in every town, city and village, it's a license to print money.

2 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Donner (doner?) kebabs. One newly opened place down here is selling them for around £15 a pop. A 10p pitta bread, fractions of onion, tomato and cabbage and some mystery meat. I Googled the cost price of these "elephants legs" that contain the "meat" and found they are remarkably cheap, around £4 a kilo and in many cases substantially less. No wonder there are thousands of them in every town, city and village, it's a license to print money.

A new burger place opened near my mothers house a while back so we tried it out. 3 burgers, couple of orders of chips and some onion rings. That was all. £45. East Yorkshire, not London. £45. 

The local chippy is getting a bit pricey as well. Maybe about 5 years ago it was £19 for 3 orders of fish and chips. Last time I went a couple of weeks back it was £24 for the same order. Going up by about a quid a year it seems just like Hull FC tickets. 

16 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

There's a hell of a lot more to the cost of food in a restaurant, café, bar etc. than the individual ingredient costs. And while not all of the linked article applies to a kebab takeaway, you should also remember that, since lockdown, commercial landlords are very eager to make back their COVID-related losses, so they'll be cranking up their prices.

https://www.jayrayner.co.uk/blog/oi-you-yes-you-the-one-whingeing-about-the-cost-of-the-restaurants-i-review-read-this-a-one-size-fits-all-response 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

AD-BLUE,  Addative for some diesel cars to keep immisions down,(seperate small filler at side of diesel filler)it were £8.95 12 months since at most garages, cheapest near me is £19.99,  for 10 liters,  halfords £32.99.  or £5 for a top up while you wait.