What products are clearly overpriced but we still buy them?

On 14/09/2022 at 16:20, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This one comes up a lot when this question is asked. I'm not an authority on it seen as I don't print much and the once a year I do print something I just go to the library but I do know a photographer who prints a lot; he has a printer with 11 different ink cartridges in it and should just one of them run out then the machine won't let him print anything even if the empty colour isn't needed. Apparently even printing black and white, the printer adds a little bit of blue into it, claiming it makes it a nicer shade of black but it's clearly just the printer company wanting more money. I seem to think it costs him the best part of a grand to replace all the cartridges. 

Edit. Don't know if it's true or not but I read the other day that printer ink is actually more expensive than crude oil these days. 

Oil's not even close to the cost of printer ink.

Oil is currently ca$90 a barrel (159L, 280 pints) or 32 cents/pint - even at it's peak only ca44cents

Printer ink $1790/pint 

Printer ink is more expensive than the best champagne and perfume (Chanel No 5 is around $825/pint)

8 hours ago, Copa said:

I was surprised at the cost of pizzas in the UK.

I can grab a large pepperoni pizza from domino’s here in Canberra for £2.90. A large margherita is £3.25.

That is cheap compared to here. Might be mistaken but I'm sure the local Domino's starts at about £10 for the smallest, most basic pizza. I'm always getting discount vouchers posted through the door. Like I say, might be mistaken, just going on what I've read on the leaflets I get cos I never actually go there. 

One thing I will say is really going up in price is fish and chips. Just a couple of years ago my local chippy did a standard portion for about £6. Went yesterday and they're up to £7.90 now. A couple of other things I've really noticed to have been inflated by the cost of living is toilet paper and cat food. This is how I'm measuring my cost of living crisis. Can I feed my cats? And can I wipe my ######? 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

10 hours ago, Copa said:

I was surprised at the cost of pizzas in the UK.

I can grab a large pepperoni pizza from domino’s here in Canberra for £2.90. A large margherita is £3.25.

Yeah I noticed that when over for World Cup. I think that is the same for other fast food like McDonalds etc